AIM-120C Airframe comparison

djacd

So we were flying in a server our group has set up and we noticed, (myself included), that the F/A-18C's we missing more than the F-16's. So I did an analysis on it.

Made a video of my analysis and I wasn't surprised by the results. ED has done a good job on this. 

For reference;

I would expect a lower hit rate when flying Hornets. They can't impart as much energy into their missiles as other 4th gen fighters. This can be pretty exploitable against the AI for example, as the F-16 typically can accelerate enough to launch high Pk missiles outside of the range of Ace AI R-27ER shots. The Hornet usually isn't fast enough to give the missile a high enough Pk to prevent it from being outmaneuvered.

On the other hand the Hornet has its own advantages, like 10 degrees of extra crank due to wider radar Azimuth.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

18 hours ago, Exorcet said:

I would expect a lower hit rate when flying Hornets. They can't impart as much energy into their missiles as other 4th gen fighters. This can be pretty exploitable against the AI for example, as the F-16 typically can accelerate enough to launch high Pk missiles outside of the range of Ace AI R-27ER shots. The Hornet usually isn't fast enough to give the missile a high enough Pk to prevent it from being outmaneuvered.

Not sure I would agree, 1 Vs 1 Hornet / Su-27 (AI Ace) the Hornet wins.  I will usually 'WASTE' a 120C to break the lock of the ER while cranking + diving. Re-engage and follow up with a second or third 120 as needed. If the Su-27 wins then it's probably because I messed up. Mig-29S different story being Fox-3 capable.

The issue I have with the Hornet, is the RADAR, things like swapping sweep azimuth and range is easier in the F-16. Not having an actual MFD button to push I need to mouse click and thus removes hand from Flight stick. As well I find it harder to acquire locks with the 18 vs the 16.  The RADAR is the issue for me. I thought I read somewhere the F-16 RADAR is still in development and more changes to come BUT not 100% on this, if so it may become more difficult to lock, (realistic?), as well. Compare the ease of the F-15C to the F/A-18C to lock targets.

Completely agree the F-16 acceleration allows for a larger margin of error but usual load out with the F-16 is 4 long and 2 short sticks. The F/A-18 can bring 10 long and 2 short, but normally no more than 6 long for me but still gives me a couple of extras to 'waste'. 

You' re right the AI is exploitable, and even human vs human 16 or 18 vs Su-27 is still advantage 16/18, (IF the human is careless enough to be in open sky).

On 9/15/2022 at 4:19 PM, djacd said:

The issue I have with the Hornet, is the RADAR, things like swapping sweep azimuth and range is easier in the F-16. Not having an actual MFD button to push I need to mouse click and thus removes hand from Flight stick.

You can click the MFD button with the TDC. Just place it over the sweep legend and it expands into the list of options. Hit the right one and you're good to go. It's more fiddly than in the Viper, but it works hands-on. Range is as easy as in the Viper, but you have to quickly move the TDC outside the radar screen area and back into it.

On 9/17/2022 at 10:42 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

You can click the MFD button with the TDC. Just place it over the sweep legend and it expands into the list of options. Hit the right one and you're good to go. It's more fiddly than in the Viper, but it works hands-on. Range is as easy as in the Viper, but you have to quickly move the TDC outside the radar screen area and back into it.

I completely forgot that, thank you!