Temporary Apache FM Edits

It does fail IC, BTW.

I flew with it for a bit, and it definitely tames the SAS for the collective channel.  It would take some time to get used to it, though.  Definitely has a different feel, which I noticed the most when coming in to a landing.  I switched it back to normal so I could go fly with some buddies, but I might try it again.

I didn't test the yaw tweak, or adjust the shake value.

Thanks for sharing!

15 hours ago, Mausar said:

Where to save this? Bin, Bazar..?

DCS World\Mods\aircraft\AH-64D\FM\config.lua

backup your original or you will need to do a repair to go back. Also bear in mind this will be overwritten when DCS updates. 

Edited by Scaley
  • Like 1

Just tried and yes, it feel really nice! No need to fight all the time with the rudder if you touch the collective (even a bit).

I’m courious what real Apache pilots think about this mod.

It’s a pitty doesn’t pass Integrity Check.

Thanks, Scaley

Edited by nachomaga

2 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

Can anyone tell me what the default value for this parameter was?

0.2 (defaults are listed after the ** in all my edits)

1 hour ago, Miro said:

@ScaleyDo You know maybye where i can find such parameters responsible for pilot damage model? In my case for F-16 (i want to eject somtimes, but the first thing that breaks down in ED damage model is a pilot, who just dies, even from R73 hitting engine) 

Absolutely no idea, I don't even own the F-16. Sorry. 

Thanks for the updated config. 

I gave it a whirl, and I'm seeing a lot of yaw adjustment is needed while ATT Hold is enabled.  It feels like there is no SAS helping to hold the nose at the desired heading at all, like the "breakout" percentage is down at 0%.  Is this what you are going for?  (I'm using pedals without a spring, btw.)

For the ALT Hold, I am getting the large vertical oscillations still.  In 2a) are you saying that the ALT Hold is still bugged, even with this config?

5 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

I gave it a whirl, and I'm seeing a lot of yaw adjustment is needed while ATT Hold is enabled.  It feels like there is no SAS helping to hold the nose at the desired heading at all, like the "breakout" percentage is down at 0%.  Is this what you are going for?  (I'm using pedals without a spring, btw.)

For the ALT Hold, I am getting the large vertical oscillations still.  In 2a) are you saying that the ALT Hold is still bugged, even with this config?

The breakout value for the yaw SAS should be greatly reduced from the standard DCS to better match what is described in EDs manual and the real manual (the 10-20% breakout we see in vanilla DCS is too sticky)

ALT hold is the unfortunate casualty of this fix. Because the FM file doesn't include enough variables to properly tune the FM, you can't fix the collective SAS behaviour without severely impinging on the ALT holds power.

What ED need to do, is add wayy more values to the FM lua, so that you can better control all the variables in this 4 axis system. 

Edited by Swift.
  • Like 3

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

9 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

1) The yaw heading hold should function exactly the same with or without ATT HOLD engaged, and that's the behaviour I'm seeing with the updated config. (also using springless pedals) Are you saying you need to do more work on the pedal with ATT HOLD engaged vs without? If so, that's definitely not intentional. 

2) ALT HOLD - yes, you will get associations. The vertical velocity damping is controlled by one number in the lua file, and this number is used for vertical velocity damping both with and without ALT HOLD engaged. Like Swift say, this essentially means the code has been set up in a way that it's impossible to get the correct behaviour. If you tune that number for normal flight, you don't get enough damping with ALT HOLD on.  If you tune it for ALT HOLD engaged you get way too much damping in normal flight. The collective SCS channel needs at least 2 more variables, one for vyDamp with ALT HOLD on, and one for maximum sleeve authority. Ideally each vyDamp would be broken out into a more complete control logic descriptor set (e.g. ControlDeflectionMax, ControlDeflectionTarget, ControlDeflectionRampRate, etc) but there just aren't enough variables to solve the presented problem. 

On 9/23/2022 at 2:07 AM, Floyd1212 said:

Re-tested, and you're correct, heading hold was dialled down too far. Here's another version! EDIT: Removed

Edited by Scaley

Thanks for this! I went to give it a try last night and realized it wont work on the servers I fly on cause it wont pass IC. Fingers crossed for an ED remedy soon! Otherwise, thanks Scaley for your efforts to help us all out.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

So after some more testing it looks like the previous version only worked in calm#(ish winds), so I've had to back off the heading hold some more to stop it entering an oscillation mode with a crosswind.

Edited by Scaley
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...