Server ground units dead/not spawning after server restarts

Tom P

Not sure if this is the right channel for posting so if it needs to be moved let me know. 

As the title states, server ground units spawn dead or not at all after a server restarts. This seems to happen when the server has been running for 6-8 hours in game with restarts.  The only "fix" for this currently is to manually restart the servers from the front end.

This even goes for "late activated" units that you would use for a base capture, server event, etc.
2 examples:
1) we have an airfield you can capture and it will give you that airfield as a spawn. But after some restarts or run time, when the next mission loads the airfield wont let you use it. 
2) we have an event on our PVP server that if you complete the event by taking out some ground units that are set to spawn in 45 minutes after the match starts. Instead of doing the events at the start of the match you have those AI assets for your team because the server see's those event ground units as already not planned to spawn.

We have 6 servers running at all times, PVP and PVE missions, created by two different mission makers both using different methods to see if there is better solution for this problem. Which hasn't shown any promise. We tried everything from just using Mission Editor trigger actions to using scripts. All ending in the same result. Which again is if the server has been running for 6-8 hours or more, and the server restarts in game, that isn't from a person manually doing it on the front end, the server breaks.
Our most popular server normally sees 50-75 players.(we can do 100/100 DCS can't handle it) When the server restarts from a trigger hitting a certain time, when the next time the mission loads. Base defense ground units will be dead or not spawned in. These units are essential to fight off spawn campers. Without them it ruins the experience and player count drops, then players spread rumors saying the servers are unoptimized when its not our fault that DCS is broke.  

The only way to have those ground units spawn properly now is to physically go onto the front end and restart/shut down the server manually every 6-8 hours. This was not an issue until about 2-3 patches ago, you used to able to let a server run for 15+ hours without having any issues.

This is a huge issue and needs to get resolved instead of mission editors wasting their time looking for a fix just for the servers to break again after a new patch. 

-The 162nd Vipers

Edited by 162nd Pete
More details added

• Tom P changed the title to Server ground units dead/not spawning after server restarts

This is really strange behavior, I'll try to make some test in the next days, but generally speaking to keep good performance, if you have a "running" mission with some AI stuff, it's not a good idea leave the server working for more than 8 hours. It's something really common with other server like Arma and so on to plan a restart to keep it "fresh" if an AI or spawn is involved.
I manage three public instances, and all of them since they are complex mission restarts every 6 hours.
The only instance that last 24 hours is a private PVP clients only arena, that we use times to time to practice dogfight against each other of the team. No AI involved, no spawn, no script at all, just a dozen of clients slot put one in front of the other.

What comes to my mind, try to put a spawn and a message write in the log message every hours, and monitor what happens, looking in DCS.log if there are strange things. Iìll try to do the same and keep it running for 24/48 and see how it will act.

It's happening just after a mission restart without closing the DCS dedicated server right?

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

4 hours ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

This is really strange behavior, I'll try to make some test in the next days, but generally speaking to keep good performance, if you have a "running" mission with some AI stuff, it's not a good idea leave the server working for more than 8 hours. It's something really common with other server like Arma and so on to plan a restart to keep it "fresh" if an AI or spawn is involved.
I manage three public instances, and all of them since they are complex mission restarts every 6 hours.
The only instance that last 24 hours is a private PVP clients only arena, that we use times to time to practice dogfight against each other of the team. No AI involved, no spawn, no script at all, just a dozen of clients slot put one in front of the other.

What comes to my mind, try to put a spawn and a message write in the log message every hours, and monitor what happens, looking in DCS.log if there are strange things. Iìll try to do the same and keep it running for 24/48 and see how it will act.

It's happening just after a mission restart without closing the DCS dedicated server right?

We have our servers restarting every 6 hours now and still have issues. Yesterday I manually restarted our most popular server every 3 hours from the front end, and it was still getting some issues, It might have been due to 73/75 players being on it but still that used to not hinder our performance unless there was a high ping user in there but we countered that with a ping limit. 

Our logs are showing sound errors and map object errors.

10:09:13 PM.368  ERROR  WINFO  can't open Objects[HOME51_ST] table 
10:09:13 PM.369  ERROR  WINFO  can't open Objects[TR_BUDKA_NEW] table 
10:09:13 PM.372  ERROR  WINFO  can't open Objects[BLK_LIGHT_POLE] table 
10:09:13 PM.368  ERROR  WINFO  can't open Objects[HOME51_ST] table 
10:09:13 PM.369  ERROR  WINFO  can't open Objects[TR_BUDKA_NEW] table 
10:09:13 PM.372  ERROR  WINFO  can't open Objects[BLK_LIGHT_POLE] table
10:10:16 PM.433  ERROR  SOUND  invalid source_params(woLA-17481511:default): gain 
10:10:16 PM.433  ERROR  SOUND  invalid source_params(woLA-17481511:default): gain 
10:10:35 PM.490  ERROR  SOUND  invalid source_params(woLA-17092661:default): gain 
10:10:35 PM.125  ERROR  SOUND  invalid source_params(woLA-17092661:default): gain 
10:10:35 PM.125  ERROR  SOUND  invalid source_params(woLA-17092661:default): gain 
10:10:35 PM.490  ERROR  SOUND  invalid source_params(woLA-17092661:default): gain 

• ED Team
On 9/18/2022 at 9:35 PM, 162nd Pete said:

Ahh yes forgot we're not a popular YouTube name in the DCS community so this wont get noticed. I forgot

Please if you want us to look into an issue attach a server track and log showing the problem. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm making some test, but I can't replicate the problem. On my dedicated server units are spawning effectively according to the template.

On 9/16/2022 at 4:07 PM, 162nd Pete said:

This seems to happen when the server has been running for 6-8 hours in game with restarts.

What exactly mean with "restarts" when the problem occurs? You have goal/trigger that reload the same mission without complete server restarts?

On 9/16/2022 at 4:07 PM, 162nd Pete said:

The only "fix" for this currently is to manually restart the servers from the front end.

This one?
image.png

Edited by Maverick87Shaka

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

A quick test with the latest OB Dedicated server ( 2.7.18.30348 )
A simple script that spawn random unit, randomly in zone, every 1 minute
Is running since  1d and 4h with 1700 and more unit spawn, and they still spawning correctly, none of them are damaged or dead.

image.png

nullimage.png

On 9/25/2022 at 1:00 PM, Maverick87Shaka said:

A quick test with the latest OB Dedicated server ( 2.7.18.30348 )
A simple script that spawn random unit, randomly in zone, every 1 minute
Is running since  1d and 4h with 1700 and more unit spawn, and they still spawning correctly, none of them are damaged or dead.

image.png

nullimage.png

Apologies for the late response, I didn't get any notification that someone responded.
Is the server running with a lot of players in it during a server restart from a triggered time action? Our servers normally have 20+ people in them, and our popular server has 50-75 players

And to answer the manual server restart question you asked. Yes from the front end. We have the server restarting twice a day now and that seems to help, minus a few things here and there

I can confirm the same issue also happens on my server running a heavily modified "Foothold" mission.

https://github.com/GoldJohnKing/zoneCommander

I am still investigating it to find out if it is caused by some of the script, but unlikely.

It used to run very well, after some update it broke. I cant really recall which one. Maybe one in July.

Edited by 392198523

On 10/1/2022 at 1:13 PM, 392198523 said:

I can confirm the same issue also happens on my server running a heavily modified "Foothold" mission.

https://github.com/GoldJohnKing/zoneCommander

I am still investigating it to find out if it is caused by some of the script, but unlikely.

It used to run very well, after some update it broke. I cant really recall which one. Maybe one in July.

It's 100% a runtime issue.