Mavs Dont Boresight

CH4Pz

Im having trouble Boresighting the mavs in the F16 at the moment. Normally i lock onto the Taxilights with the TGP, then change SOI to the Mav, slew to the same light, TMS up. and press BSGT on the top left of Mav screen, then click TMS aft and theyre aligned, But now when i press TMS aft it jumps back to the original position, instead of aligning with the TGP.

I also noticed the HUD symbology doesnt align properly to the thing im looking at in the TGP either, but this may be normal, not sure.

ive included the track, this is how ive always Aligned them, but just wont stay aligned atm, have i missed something?

F16Bore.trk

you shouldnt boresight them on very close objects, it'll never be spot on when you undesignate the target again. by the sounds of it, you seem to do the steps correctly, make sure the mav is in PRE mode and i suggest doing it mid flight on a ground object. you can also take off, then overfly the AF again and use any building you like to BSGT them. at the moment, it doesnt even matter if the mav is even looking remotely to where the TPOD is looking, according to this report: 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, _SteelFalcon_ said:

you shouldnt boresight them on very close objects, it'll never be spot on when you undesignate the target again. by the sounds of it, you seem to do the steps correctly, make sure the mav is in PRE mode and i suggest doing it mid flight on a ground object. you can also take off, then overfly the AF again and use any building you like to BSGT them. at the moment, it doesnt even matter if the mav is even looking remotely to where the TPOD is looking, according to this report: 

Cheers for the reply, i just tried again in VIS mode, not touching the TGP as mentioned in that post, and it still does the same (see 2nd track). Not sure who changed this post to correct but they definitely didnt watch the original track file, besides i dont really want to align them based on a bug (or circling the AF as i highly doubt thats how its done irl during a redflag).

The mission im struggling with is a low level pop up against a SA10, at night with NVG so dont have time to do them in the air, ground alignment shouldnt be an issue, hasnt been in the past. The fact it jumps back, shows that its not saving the boresight, how can that possibly be "correct-as-is"?!

Thanks again man, but they clearly not interested

F16Bore2.trk

1 hour ago, CH4Pz said:

Cheers for the reply, i just tried again in VIS mode, not touching the TGP as mentioned in that post, and it still does the same (see 2nd track). Not sure who changed this post to correct but they definitely didnt watch the original track file, besides i dont really want to align them based on a bug (or circling the AF as i highly doubt thats how its done irl during a redflag).

The mission im struggling with is a low level pop up against a SA10, at night with NVG so dont have time to do them in the air, ground alignment shouldnt be an issue, hasnt been in the past. The fact it jumps back, shows that its not saving the boresight, how can that possibly be "correct-as-is"?!

Thanks again man, but they clearly not interested

F16Bore2.trk 1.13 MB · 1 download

i think you misunderstood. watching your track, your maverick is clearly set to VIS mode. in this mode, the LOS is slaved to your TD Box in the HUD, and before designating a Target through the HUD, the TD Box is slaved to your FPM.

As said before, for this to work you must be in PRE mode. then designate a Target with the Targeting Pod, Slew the Maverick to that SAME spot the TGP is looking, lock up the Target when in range (8nm or less) and when a solid lock is obtained (Crosshair narrow, shaking a little), press BSGT and wait until the BSGT text is no longer highlighted. only then you should undesignate the target, switch to the other mav station (MSL Step button or using the OSB buttons on the MFD) and repeat the steps above.

Edited by _SteelFalcon_

9 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

you gave yourself the answer. you are in VIS mode. but in order for the MAV to be looking at the active Steerpoint (assuming your target is marked with a Steerpoint or any other SPI) you need to put the MAV in PRE mode (pre-planned)

Yar, in the original track im in pre mode, the post that was linked above said to put it in vis or bore to basically boresight it to the TGP, due to a bug. i do normally do it in PRE.

13 minutes ago, _SteelFalcon_ said:

i think you misunderstood. watching your track, your maverick is clearly set to VIS mode. in this mode, the LOS is slaved to your TD Box in the HUD, and before designating a Target through the HUD, the TD Box is slaved to your FPM.

As said before, for this to work you must be in PRE mode. then designate a Target with the Targeting Pod, Slew the Maverick to that SAME spot the TGP is looking, lock up the Target when in range (8nm or less) and when a solid lock is obtained (Crosshair narrow, shaking a little), press BSGT and wait until the BSGT text is no longer highlighted. only then you should undesignate the target, switch to the other mav station (MSL Step button or using the OSB buttons on the MFD) and repeat the steps above.

Cheers man, i do normally do it in PRE, but the link you sent said if you use the MAV to align in VIS or BORE, will auto link it to TGP, first one was in PRE

11 minutes ago, CH4Pz said:

Cheers man, i do normally do it in PRE, but the link you sent said if you use the MAV to align in VIS or BORE, will auto link it to TGP, first one was in PRE

All i said was „make sure the mav is in PRE mode and i suggest doing it mid flight on a ground object.“ according to the bug linked in my first post, it doesnt even matter if you lock up the same object with tgp and mav to BSGT them. But then again, i dont suggest using wrong workflows cuz they eventually will be fixed and wont work anymore.

• Thanks 1

As per the real manual you can Boresight in either VIS or PRE mode. In PRE you are Boresighting to the TGP, FCR, or a predefined object that is a Steerpoint. In VIS you are Boresighting to the HUD TD Box, so IRL the reference object needs to be visible in the HUD unaided. In any of the above examples you're essentially just Boresighting to the SPI, but the F-16 separates different SPI generating sensors out by delivery mode, like it does for other weapons. 

• Like 1