Is it going to be worth going 3090 to 4090?

Digitalvole

On 9/22/2022 at 4:38 PM, M1Combat said:

Turn that off.  It runs super smooth down to 30FPS without motion smoothing...  Just turn it off.  It's not the same ball of wax as SVR. It's not needed.

That isn't my experience, anything less than 90fps without motion smoothing is anything but super smooth for me. I guess I am sensitive to it but there are clear steps as the frames update especially close to the ground. It just ruins the immersion for me to the extent I would rather put up with reprojection issues like looking through propellers etc. Each to their own I guess.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

OT: (the true) RTX-4080 has 16GB, would it be enough, for DCS, i.e.?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, Digitalvole said:

I wish I had found this to be the case but sadly not. I found it it wasn’t 90fps it would judder and make my eyes hurt. I’ll try again at some point soon, if I can remember how.

Yeah openxr is much smoother than steamvr without reprojection but you still need to keep the frametimes low, it certainly isn't smooth at 30fps without reprojection!

The most recent runtimes have improved the reprojection, specifically the performance tanking to 15fps and whilst the artifacts are still worse than steamvr it's much smoother at framerates <50.

60Hz without reprojection is where it's at 😉

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

15 minutes ago, edmuss said:

60Hz without reprojection is where it's at 😉

I tried that, my brain/eyes gave it a hard No 😉

Good news on the other stuff, can I just re enable it with open composite or do I need to do the whole clean install thing again? I’d like to give it a try, but more reprojection artefacts than SVR does put me off, I’ve got a pretty solid image in SVR. Well I guess you don’t know till you try, right. 😁

As a test, try turning on the sunglasses post processing filter in the toolkit, it quells some of the 60Hz flicker.

As long as you've updated the openxr for WMR (search for it on the MS store and got the update button) and the toolkit then it should all be good.

Make sure that motion compensation is set to zero in the toolkit, that can cause the waterboarding effect. Helo rotors are still a bit wonky but it's getting better all the time.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Looks like sheets of water running over the screen, you'll know if you see it!

3 hours ago, edmuss said:

Looks like sheets of water running over the screen, you'll know if you see it!

Ah yes, I know what you mean.

Well I just tried it out again, and either it must have improved or I was doing something wrong before (my money’s on the latter) but it’s bloody great now! The only complaint I have so far is the radar page in the hornet, especially contacts, are quite wobbly but I think I can live with that. 

• Like 2

It’s not only the gpu you have to upgrade it’s the psu with the atx 3.0 thingy. I’ll be ready to upgrade when the Rtx 6000-7000 series and intel 17 gen hopefully DCS 3.0 will running on Vulcan. I’m not jumping on the new hardware train every year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

5 hours ago, Burt said:

It’s not only the gpu you have to upgrade it’s the psu with the atx 3.0 thingy. I’ll be ready to upgrade when the Rtx 6000-7000 series and intel 17 gen hopefully DCS 3.0 will running on Vulcan. I’m not jumping on the new hardware train every year. 

I am with you there!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I came over an interesting analysis : 

If the 4090 is actually 70% faster, then this is very appealing.  And it does not even take into account overclocking which seems to be very doable with the 40 series.

For the coming weeks, my dreams will be filled with me flying at wide FOV (instead or the mere ''normal'' 150 degree) over Syria with MSAA on...   

Edited by WipeUout
Typo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

My suspicion is that if you are a VR user, especially Pimax 8kx, the 4090 will provide noticeable gains because it's just so many pixels that the GPU can really matter. Problem is normally this game is very much CPU bound, especially multiplayer. I was more excited about the new Ryzen series CPUs. Game benchmarks are trickling in and unfortunately doesn't look like a major uplift compared to 5800x3D. Looks like we'll have to wait for the rumored 7800x3D. I'm kind of thinking next year 7800x3D and 4090Ti will be the performance king, and it's worth holding off on any upgrades because right now for DCS I think the gains will be minimal.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

I own an AMD-GPU and am not a friend of Nvidia for its shady practices, like taking a 4070 renaming it 480 12G and charging 80% more than last generation.

But if I had to recommend a GPU to a friend playing only DCS in VR Id probably recommend a Nvidia-GPU.

For sure not a 4080 12G and probably not a 4080 16G too. The 12G should in DCS be around a 3090/3090TI with much less RAM, which some say is important for VR. And the 16G could be 30% faster than a 3090/3090Ti, but in that case a new or used 3090 would be much more cost-effectiv I guess. Or if you have the money 70% better perf with the 4090 for sure is interesting. But I guess until the CPU-bottleneck is resolved, 70% more GPU-perf will result in maybe 40% acutal gain, since the rest is CPU-limited. Maybe Im even a bit optimistic with  the 40%.

Nevertheless, everybody has to decide, whats its worth for him to invest a lot more money to get only slight increases in some areas. The 3090, even the 3080 for sure are good enough to offer a decent experience in VR.

Im mostly playing in VR (OpenXR) and was planning to upgrade my AMD 6800XT to a 7800XT or 7900XT later this  year. But since Im quite happy with my current setup, I decided to wait until next year at least. Im pretty sure, my A-10C-missions would not feel noticably different with a newer and stronger GPU.

• Like 1

Nope , no, non , nyet . Been on the pc upgrade merry-go-round long enough . No more until ED implements multi-threading and Vulkan . It's insane to keep spending $2500-3000 dollars a pop for a 10-15 % gain .

I'll spend my money upgrading controllers over the next year instead .

Edited by Svsmokey
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

4 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

Nope , no, non , nyet . Been on the pc upgrade merry-go-round long enough . No more until ED implements multi-threading and Vulkan . It's insane to keep spending $2500-3000 dollars a pop for a 10-15 % gain .

I'll spend my money upgrading controllers over the next year instead .

I am with you there.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 9/26/2022 at 2:41 PM, Wali763 said:

For sure not a 4080 12G and probably not a 4080 16G too. The 12G should in DCS be around a 3090/3090TI with much less RAM, which some say is important for VR. And the 16G could be 30% faster than a 3090/3090Ti, but in that case a new or used 3090 would be much more cost-effectiv I guess. Or if you have the money 70% better perf with the 4090 for sure is interesting. But I guess until the CPU-bottleneck is resolved, 70% more GPU-perf will result in maybe 40% acutal gain, since the rest is CPU-limited. Maybe Im even a bit optimistic with  the 40%....

That all sounds really optimistic.

CPU frame time is half the problem.  Since I upgraded to a 12th gen Intel CPU, my CPU frametime has dropped significantly and is most of the time bellow 9 ms.  At that level, it translates to 111 FPS.  The CPU will not be a bottleneck until my GPU can reach and surpass 111 FPS.  This means that there is a lot of room to improve GPU performance and that is what I am looking for in my next upgrade.  My 6900XT can keep a steady 72 FPS and this is what I need as my HMD has a 72Hz refresh rate.  But with a 70% boost performance in rasterization (hopefully) with the 4090, this will allow me to push the quality significantly without worrying about the CPU becoming a bottleneck.  Fingers crossed.

That of course will not solve all situations.  Such as a crowded supercarrier deck which is asking a lot from the CPU.  But I think that 95% of my flying will be gloriously smooth and beautiful nevertheless.

• Like 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

Thanks, carrier / super carrier makes very good benchmark then.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

According to recently leaked Geekbench data, the 4090’s rasterization performance (CUDA cores only) is 60% over the 3090Ti and whopping 78% over 3090.  That is quite a significant jump, considering the rasterization gain from upgrading my 2080Ti to 3090 is only around 35%.  Now add the Tensor cores to the equation in supported games and the performance gap widens further.  This is a better performance upgrade compared to previous gens.  AMD’s upcoming GPUs will likely offer similar rasterization performance as well.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 2

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

4 minutes ago, Supmua said:

According to recently leaked Geekbench data, the 4090’s rasterization performance (CUDA cores only) is 60% over the 3090Ti and whopping 78% over 3090.  That is quite a significant jump, considering the rasterization gain from upgrading my 2080Ti to 3090 is only around 35%.  Now add the Tensor cores to the equation in supported games and the performance gap widens further.  This is a better performance upgrade compared to previous gens.

This is very good news. 
How long after Nvidia release there version (FE, right?) do the 3rd party manufacturers release there’s? 

21 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

This is very good news. 
How long after Nvidia release there version (FE, right?) do the 3rd party manufacturers release there’s? 

These cards including 3rd party’s are already listed on Newegg, Bestbuy, Bhphotovideo, etc.  You just can’t preorder them until Oct 12th.  I have no idea if AIBs will be ready to ship right away.

If the leaked data is true then GPU will likely no longer be a bottleneck.  Which means we could see up to 90 fps in VR in some light flying sessions (if CPU’s frametime stays below 11ms), 45-60 in most situations except when CPU is truly taxed (supercarrier, highly populated areas, etc.).  So yeah I’ll take the 78% performance gain over 35% from my last upgrade.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I cannot say it is bad, but considering the cost of RTX-4090 comes along with the gain -- power, size, weight, and heat. Not to mention, it is over-budget, unless the RTX-4080 (16GB) is good enough to justify the price. I am sticking with 3090 Ti which is more "reasonable" and the performance in VR is pretty awesome.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

not to mention only one company out there is supporting the card with the right PSU. so not worth it this year, and god willing if we survive WWIII, maybe but I don't think there's going to ba a made rush to get any high tech stuff for at least 5 years; because this recession just started takes at least 5 to 10 years to crawl out of it. 

to build a monster you'll need the Z790+the new DDR5+the PSU 3.0+the new M.2 3.0+PCIEX 3.0+rtx4090TI by the time the Bios's are 2 to 3 gen ahead on the new system.

and then maybe windows 12.

and then maybe in 2 years Vulcan will be in beta.. which by that time 1 core won't matter. 

Edited by 71st_Mastiff
  • Like 1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

On 10/2/2022 at 3:42 PM, 71st_Mastiff said:

not to mention only one company out there is supporting the card with the right PSU. so not worth it this year, and god willing if we survive WWIII, maybe but I don't think there's going to ba a made rush to get any high tech stuff for at least 5 years; because this recession just started takes at least 5 to 10 years to crawl out of it. 

to build a monster you'll need the Z790+the new DDR5+the PSU 3.0+the new M.2 3.0+PCIEX 3.0+rtx4090TI by the time the Bios's are 2 to 3 gen ahead on the new system.

and then maybe windows 12.

and then maybe in 2 years Vulcan will be in beta.. which by that time 1 core won't matter. 

I think everything you said here in nonsense. Worth is a relative term and regardless of economic standing of any country, there is always a percentage of the population with the means and appetite for high-end/luxury items (cars, clothing, housing and in this case PC components) 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale