Full Screen select problem

Cyborg71
Go to solution Solved by Cyborg71,

With today's OB update it seems the option to use keyboard Alt + Enter to switch fullscreen in game has been disabled. Is this the case?

I ask because being able to alt + enter in game had a considerable positive impact on my GPU load (85% reduced to 60%).

GPU is now 85% or higher regardless of fullscreen choice in the game ui settings options. 

I'm noticing many more graphical hitches and micro stutters than pre patch. 

Where's the key stroke combo gone?

Hopefully.........

• Like 4

I don't think this is a bug (per se) so it might not belong here. 

I have as second, less capable PC. I tested the Alt +Ent on that and it was working fine. It was the OB update that stopped that from working. 

So, it seems an intentional change, given that some were recently experiencing a CTD resolved by deselecting the full screen tick box in the game options.

Thus, probably not a bug. Just frustrating as it's removal seems to impact 2D performance.

• ED Team

If you are getting a crash please attach the dcs log so we can take a look. 

I will ask the team about alt + enter

edit: 

the negative fps impact created was fixed so no need to use alt + enter

thanks 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, ShinyMikey said:

I am having this problem now too. It is a big problem. Even though I have full screen selected in settings, I always have to alt tab out and back in or use alt+enter to get a proper full screen. Now neither is working. Now when I look around I'm getting a rippling effect

Alt tab is working for me, but alt + enter will not work now, the related FPS issue was fixed. 

are you on windows 11 or 10?

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think this also is affecting my loss of blending capability with a dual projector setup. I reverted back to the previous version of OpenBeta and the blended full screen functionality was restored. What's odd is if I have an open window running in the background and I Alt+Tab over it will blend the full screen, but once I tab back onto DCS it will split back into two un blended screens?

• Like 1

• ED Team
11 minutes ago, sgtoinkz said:

I think this also is affecting my loss of blending capability with a dual projector setup. I reverted back to the previous version of OpenBeta and the blended full screen functionality was restored. What's odd is if I have an open window running in the background and I Alt+Tab over it will blend the full screen, but once I tab back onto DCS it will split back into two un blended screens?

I will mention it to the team 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Alt tab is working for me, but alt + enter will not work now, the related FPS issue was fixed. 

are you on windows 11 or 10?

I have Windows 10. Alt tab works to change to another screen, but before it also worked the same alt enter. If I didn't do that, I would get a ripple effect when I look around, so I always alt tab out and back or alt enter when I get into the game. But now it is not fixing the problem like it always has.

• ED Team
1 hour ago, ShinyMikey said:

Now when I look around I'm getting a rippling effect

are you using Vsync? 

Microsoft recommends to allow the tearing in the graphic API, as it allows the driver to use Variable Refresh Rate if a modern display supports it. To prevent the tearing effect, it is recommended to enable v-sync instead of disallowing the tearing. 

• Like 1

I'm on Windows 10 and 11, 2 different machines. Neither will enter Full Screen, either with the shortcut (Alt+Enter) or selecting the Full Screen option under Options. Both machines use Nvidia cards with G-Sync enabled, no V-sync. Identical drivers, though of some vintage. It's changed behavior, and I miss the option. I don't Alt-Tab at all, and there used to be an FPS advantage. Maybe that has changed, but how can we tell?

Maybe somebody tried to fix the Full Screen minimizing problem that was created when 2.7 was introduced and has been around since.

@ BIGNEWY: You would ask the team about that but never responded in anyway.

Includes a little video of the problem.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

This is weird. My strongest pc (win11, 12900k, 3080ti, 64gb/3600 ssd etc) would show in afterburner 85-90% gpu usage. 

Hit Alt+Ent and that would drop to 55-65%. Things were smoother. I am assuming this action engaged full screen. I'm a literal pc idiot and have no clue by the way.

With the update no amount of key pressing helps, it's stuck back at 85-90% and seems less stable.

I add that I was experiencing the recent CTD that was fixed by deselecting full screen in options. 

Now, selecting that, removing true/false in the lua or trying to disable full screen optimizations have no effect.

I'm being selfish, but I'm worse off without the option to Alt + Ent.

14 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

If you are getting a crash please attach the dcs log so we can take a look. 

I will ask the team about alt + enter

edit: 

the negative fps impact created was fixed so no need to use alt + enter

thanks 

Hello,

Biggest problem without having the option to alt enter is that adaptive sync (freesync) won't engage and the screen tearing breaks the emersion. Vsync is not acceptable due to the  experienced lag while using track ir. Adaptive sync at least for Amd users only works full screen. 

***update: seems what ever changed didnt like the Radeon chill tool which eventually messed up my adaptive sync... I instead use target frame rate instead and all is good. Free sync works. Fullscreen in the Menue is un checked now. Havent tried with it checked. Performance is good.

Edited by HansPeter1981

My System specs: Cpu 5800x3d liquid cooled GPU 7900XTX Ram 32GB 3600mhz cl16 Motherboard B550M MSI, Windows 10 PRO on NVMe Drive, DCS on its own SSD, Monitor Philips 32" 4k curved adaptive Sync framerate capped at 59fps, Trackir 5, VKB 

52 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will mention it to the team 

Alt+enter only takes effect if you have vsync enabled. I don't know what happens, but you get a performance gain when you apply alt+enter with vsync enabled.

Update:
I went to test it in the last openBeta update and there is no longer any difference in performance with alt+enter. Something must have changed in the last update. The DCS appears lighter and more stable.

Edited by ThorBrasil

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

this isn't just a dcs issue, if you guys are selecting full screen and alt tabbing out of that, again other game will do this aswell it will break the full screen and some games will even default to windowed mode.

in DCS if you check the settings now they put a * next to full screen stating if you are no longer in full screen the only way to fix is to restart the game.

• Thanks 2

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Not having alt-enter affects way more than just FPS issues.  When running in VR, we're stuck with the thinner render in the middle.  I can't speak for others, but I personally detest the "confine cursor to game screen" option because it won't let me tab out to reach other apps when I need to switch between game and some other program.  The way to fix this was leave that cursor confine switched off and alt-enter between full and half screen when needed.  Now I'm locked to half screen and forced to use a lesser option that causes more issues, or I easily lose focus on the game window and lose the cursor.

Why even remove functionality like that?  You can't anticipate all the ways it'll break someone's setup.  Leave the option to us.

Edit: Even better, confine cursor to game window option is checked, and the mouse still goes beyond the border of the game window and DCS loses focus.  So, now we have no alt-enter to max the VR window, and confine cursor isn't working to keep the mouse inside the game border.

Edited by Nytehawk
Update on hated, detested option not working since we don't have preferred option anymore.
  • Like 1

im presuming the function was removed to try and fix complaints of pressing alt tab and getting loss of fps when its more so a user error and alt enter not putting the game in full screen and only a restart fixing it...  also im just trying to state what is changed to help with some confusion.  not saying they can't add the game to refresh when selecting full screen/windowed. but alt enter wasn't it.

• Like 1

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Removing alt-enter has hobbled VR. Now we have a window that doesn't cover the whole screen, and a cursor that won't stay inside the game space.  And even when confine option was working, you constantly had to fight with it taking the cursor back to the game screen when you needed to alt-tab out and fix something or look something up.

And the new *Full screen option doesn't work for VR at all.  It just ignores.  So that's not even an option either.

Edited by Nytehawk
Adding more details, because no one tested this on VR before release?
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, ThorBrasil said:

Alt+enter only takes effect if you have vsync enabled. I don't know what happens, but you get a performance gain when you apply alt+enter with vsync enabled.

Update:
I went to test it in the last openBeta update and there is no longer any difference in performance with alt+enter. Something must have changed in the last update. The DCS appears lighter and more stable.

I am actually seeing a performance reduction though. Not necessarily FPS, though I'm seeing more drops from 60 to 59 which has a visual impact of micro stuttering.

Unless a gpu is doing better at 90% effort than 65%. 

Vsync is always on for me. The tearing with it off is immersion breaking. 

I guess my gpu could be a problem, but it's only weeks old.

But why the easing in gpu workload with Alt + Ent?

I am exclusively in 2d incidentally.

Edited by Cyborg71
Clarity.

Found a solution for anyone utilizing multiple projectors and blending/warping software. My setup is two projectors utilizing SimPit Blending software, windows 10, Nvidia RTX3060.

-Previous OpenBeta 2.7.17.29493 I did not have to have the Vsync and Full Screen checked in the options menu, systems tab. I have my Vsync "off" in  the Nvidia control panel as well. Updated to latest OpenBeta version 2.7.18.30348 and I lost all blending functionality...

- Troubleshot a few items and discovered that I now have to indeed "check" the "Vsync and Full Screen" boxes in the options menu, system tab to restore blending function after DCS restarts.

- I then "Unchecked" vsync by itself and with the restart the blending function was again lost. Something with Vsync seems to be causing my issue in this latest update?

*** Checking both Full Screen and Vsync in the options menu,system tab successfully restored my blending functionality with a dual projector setup.***

9 hours ago, will- said:

in DCS if you check the settings now they put a * next to full screen stating if you are no longer in full screen the only way to fix is to restart the game.

That's not how it used to work at all, it never needed a restart to use ALT+ENTER, I use it constantly, to force a restart where before it worked just fine is rather silly of them, and I have noticed a performance hit since the latest patch which makes sense now if the app is in windowed mode constantly.

• Like 3