Quick question regarding maps…

Dieselmadness

This is something (the one thing) I have been praying for since being introduced to DCS, and I read an article interviewing Matt Wagner regarding this

https://www.key.aero/article/dcs-world-infinity-and-beyond

and it seemed promising, and that’s the fact that evidently they are working on and we may eventually see them making a one global map for DCS, essentially making it like the other flight sims out there where you can fly almost anywhere in the world. Does anyone have ANY news on this..I’m sure it’s going to be a while before we hear any official announcement but just curious, please tell me this is still a thing lol. Yes I am one of the super nerds that wants to be able to “deploy” and fly my F16 from the United States across the Atlantic to where I’m stationed at, bumping the tanker the entire way rather than just “poof..I’m in the Middle East” 

Edited by Dieselmadness

It’s likely to be years away, if at all.

It’s an interesting idea, but there’s a LOT to do before then, eg:

- the current work to overhaul the engine to enable multi core support and the Vulcan

- defining how to deal with different time periods.  Many people are going to think of MSFS, which as we know sources data from satellite images.  How’s that going to work for historical conflicts, eg WW2, Korea, Vietnam.  Even the Gulf war is now over 30 years ago, and it’s probably fair to assume that a LOT will have changed.

MS talked about 2 Petabytes of data for the world.  That was for ONE single point in time.  Imagine the implications of trying to cater for multiple different time periods.  Linked to that, where would you even source data from?  Satellite data simply won’t exist over probably 30-40 years ago, and even that might only be available to the military.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 hour ago, Tom Kazansky said:

What I heard, is that ED's world is planned (only) to connect high fidelity maps by a low fidelity area. That would allow many new possibilities without having to deal with most of the problems mentioned above. But... everything is subject to change I guess.

???

you think that it’ll be OK to go from a 2010 Gulf map, via something really low grade to a 1940 France map and that it’ll all play nicely?  

linked to the above, are you suggesting that on the way to France from the UAE that it’ll be ok to use maps based upon 2020 Sat data?  

I guess that it would make ww2 bombing over Germany easier, as that 2020 Sat data will include the millions of lights that we now have.

I can’t say that I’m convinced that you fully thought this through

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

14 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

???

you think that it’ll be OK to go from a 2010 Gulf map, via something really low grade to a 1940 France map and that it’ll all play nicely?  

linked to the above, are you suggesting that on the way to France from the UAE that it’ll be ok to use maps based upon 2020 Sat data?  

I guess that it would make ww2 bombing over Germany easier, as that 2020 Sat data will include the millions of lights that we now have.

I can’t say that I’m convinced that you fully thought this through

I said you don"t have to deal with most of the mentioned. Not all. Timeline will still be a problem. I agree. I guess there could be a filter for timelines and with growing numbers of maps for certain times the world will get better and better.

I don't know much about the maximum combat radius of WW2 aircraft tho.

That beeing said, it is already possible to fly a Hornet over WW2 maps in DCS, so it is already in  the hands of users/mission creators to follow the rules of time or not to follow.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

That beeing said, it is already possible to fly a Hornet over WW2 maps in DCS,

"F-16C - Normandy - Free Flight.miz" is pretty cool too. some spitfires flying around and a bunch of ships. though some are labeled as DD when they all look like liberty ships.

• Like 3

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

What I heard, is that ED's world is planned (only) to connect high fidelity maps by a low fidelity area. That would allow many new possibilities without having to deal with most of the problems mentioned above.

That would still be amazing to have…from what was said in that article it seems like they are currently working on this and we may have that within a couple years or so…would be a huge leap forward for DCS in my opinion!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dieselmadness said:

That would still be amazing to have…from what was said in that article it seems like they are currently working on this and we may have that within a couple years or so…would be a huge leap forward for DCS in my opinion!

Yep, with small steps textures and mesh can be updated with time. Anything is better than uniform flat land stretching out of nowhere to the end of the world.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The map in DCS needs to be collideable and destructible. It stretches the imagination to think about this being accomplished on a global scale. Running on a PC that most people can afford 😬

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5