Do the campaigns still work

Shibbyland

I own most the modules for this game and have never been interested in the KA-50. Somehow, after buying the Apache, I now am interested.

I figure that at the sale price its a pretty good buy since it comes with 3 campaigns but then I saw a video from a couple of years ago saying updates had broken them. Are the campaigns back to working now?

It seems a really easy aircraft to fly, a bit like an arcade game really but as I understand that's the way it's meant to be and is accurate. Can anybody tell me if the single seat KA-50 is still in service?

• Like 1

The Ka-50 does not seem to be in service anymore. It was mainly used during the second Chechen war, as depicted here. The Ka-52 took over since then.

The Ka-50 is not that simple: one has to understand the trimmer system. Once this is done, she's a treat to fly.

To my knowledge, campaigns still work, but given their age, and since the sim changed a lot through all these years, some players encounter issues. I'm willing to help fixing these issues. If you decide to buy the Ka-50 and find issues, please tag me, so I can send you fixes, then I'll report issues to ED devs.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

3 hours ago, Shibbyland said:

I own most the modules for this game and have never been interested in the KA-50. Somehow, after buying the Apache, I now am interested.

As well you should be. The Ka-50 has a cult following and for good reason, and it has a weapons payload the Apache could only dream of. It can be a sledgehammer and a scalpel at the same time. And if you buy it on sale, you'll get the discount for the BS3 upgrade.

But as Flappie said, if you don't learn the trimmer system, you'll go bonkers.

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

The Ka-50 does not seem to be in service anymore. It was mainly used during the second Chechen war, as depicted here. The Ka-52 took over since then.

The Ka-50 is not that simple: one has to understand the trimmer system. Once this is done, she's a treat to fly.

To my knowledge, campaigns still work, but given their age, and since the sim changed a lot through all these years, some players encounter issues. I'm willing to help fixing these issues. If you decide to buy the Ka-50 and find issues, please tag me, so I can send you fixes, then I'll report issues to ED devs.

Thanks for the offer of help Flappie. I'm a real sucker for DCS having a sale, I buy a module, buy a campaign, get part way into it and then get sidetracked by another new module so it'll be sometime until I get through the three campaigns available.

I got the 14 day trial and yea at sale price (even full price) I can see it's one of the core modules for the game. The nav system alone seems massively detailed. Just my opinion but the GNSS system feels a lot like a civilian one in terms of layout of various pages and accessibility (not a criticism just an observation, very intuitive and easy to use). I usually fly the choppers with central position trimmer option selected but for whatever reason I find that quite unpleasant to use with the Ka-50. The default setting works much better for me.

Just did one of the instant action missions and by far it looks like the most deadly chopper in the game. It'll be a buy (shame it's not a KA-52 tho). 

Is it true ED got info directly from Kamov for this module? If so, that alone makes it really interesting given how the access to information on Russian aircraft is much stricter in recent years.

• Like 1

So far as i remember: 

Operation medvedev II was withou any issue. 

Gorgian oil war is similar campain as for Su-25T. You result in each mission influence , what mission you will get next. The problem in this campaign for me was difficulty. For my taste to much AAA units. Because lots of enemy to kill, you will expect some support from AI wingman, but you get any because for my experience Ka-50 AI is most stupid AI in the game. 

Deploymen - I several missions are enemy unit completely hide in forest. Impossible to kill them , but mostly killing them is request to mission accomplished.  So you need open the mission in editor, make some trigger zone to destroy trees in the zone. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

ED did not (or not very well) port the campaigns to dcs 2.5's new caucasus in 2018. its the same with FC3 and A10C default campaigns. the new caucasus changed layout of forests and roads somewhat, making some missions impossible to be completed.

search for bugfixed campaigns by maddog-ic, he did what ED should have. that guy is a gift to dcs community.

another problem is the broken "scenery remove" trigger action, which is used to remove forests. it doesnt work sometimes. it seems to be most stable when you play a mission as the first mission after dcs start (so restart after each). https://forum.dcs.world/topic/216731-scenery-remove-objects-zone-does-not-remove-trees/?do=findComment&comment=4592120

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

• 1 year later...