Altitude Hold Oscillation

Picure

Hi, is this normal or is it a bug? Altitude hold does not hold the aircraft in a stable altitude during a hover and oscillates over time resulting in a crash. This happened to me on Rotorheads first, then I went on SP free flight to try it again and it was still the same.

Please check the video 

• Thanks 1

have had this happen to me more than once, had it perfectly set at 100 feet and it kept going up and down after several minutes until i hit the ground and crashed, it seems like the alt hold mode is having problems with the new OB patch, hopefully a hotfix releases soon. 

• Like 1

They tightened the collective SCAS with the latest patch and as a result the saturation tone does not go off near as much but now ALT hold doesn't work properly. Attitude hold has similar issues where it will progressively decelerate or accelerate to the saturation point making it only useful at a hover.  

• Like 1

If you dig though the FM config lua, you can get an idea of how many variables there are controlling the various axis of the SCAS and the holds. Notably for the collective axis, there are a lot fewer variables than the other axis, and even those with more variables still don't have enough for this type of control system.

I mean, think about all the different values that could dictate behaviour in just the collective alone:

-How much motion you need to input for the SCAS to 'help'
-How fast the SCAS will move from damping to helping
-How far the SCAS will go when helping
-At what point it will return to damping from helping
-How quickly it returns from helping to damping
-How quickly the SCAS responds to transients whilst damping rate
-How quickly the SCAS moves whilst responding to rate damping
-How quickly the SCAS sleeves accelerate whilst responding to rate damping
-How far the SCAS can move whilst damping rate
-How quickly the SCAS responds to transients whilst damping position
-How quickly the SCAS moves whilst responding to position damping
-How quickly the SCAS sleeves accelerate whilst responding to position damping
-How far the SCAS can mover whilst damping position
-How quickly the sleeves decelerate as they near the limit of their authority (to avoid slamming into the stops at great clip!)

There are more variables, but tbh I got bored typing.

Hopefully the point is clear, there are a lot of variables that control even this single axis (and that's assuming its symmetric). It's not surprising that we end up with coincidental oscillations when one part of this system it tuned, because with only 3 variables everything is linked!

Edited by Swift.
  • Like 2

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• ED Team

Keep in mind that Swift's claims about the control system are assumptions, nothing more, despite stating them as if they were facts. Not everything in the code is open to users to view or edit.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Yup,,, same issue here. I resorted to holding altitude now with the collective myself for now, just a pain till resolved

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• ED Team

Hi all

please be patient as we have some more tweaks to come. 

thank you

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sorry if it's me doing something wrong, but I think that the ALT HOLD has become much more unrealiable recently.  Several times recently I've experienced what happens in the attached track (an increasing overcorrection which ends in me dropping to the ground), previously this was not happening.

alt_hold.trk

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

1 hour ago, Hippo said:

ALT HOLD has become much more unrealiable recently

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10