Autopilot on approach

Dentedend10

Hi,

I've been doing some Case III recoveries. I tune to Datalink while in the holding pattern, I use autopilot for the hold, then I start my descend and final approach, autopilot still engaged (attitude hold).

I am set up for ACLS. However, tower tells me 'Fly mode 2', which means I fly ILS approach not ACLS.

At this point, I wonder if I'm supposed to disengage all autopilot?

I tried leaving it on with autothrottle. However, I usually have to disengage the autothrottle as I cannot properly descend with it. Autothrottle disengaged, autopilot still engaged -> the landing did not go well. So I am thinking that if I'm told to fly mode 2, I should disengage all autopilot at that point.

How do you guys do it?

Btw, ACLS approach worked like a charm in the 14B the other day. It didn't feel quite right though as I was supposed to fly mode 2 😛

Thanks!

• Like 1

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

The mode 2 is a canned radio call, you won't hear anything else ever.

For sure I would recommend to disengage the  Autopilot early on . That system will dampen your steering input and thus make it look very ugly, to say the least.

For sure it is kinda easyer to leave em on during decent in attitude mode to make it more stable, but I really try to refrain from it. My scan is still a little too slow to make it pretty (old men in an old bird) but it's getting better every time and that would be the main thing, flying without helper: You get better every time. 

7 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

The mode 2 is a canned radio call, you won't hear anything else ever.

For sure I would recommend to disengage the  Autopilot early on . That system will dampen your steering input and thus make it look very ugly, to say the least.

For sure it is kinda easyer to leave em on during decent in attitude mode to make it more stable, but I really try to refrain from it. My scan is still a little too slow to make it pretty (old men in an old bird) but it's getting better every time and that would be the main thing, flying without helper: You get better every time. 

I see what you are saying, that's how I would normally fly the descent too. However, for ACLS the autopilot needs to be engaged (is my understanding), so I just leave it on through descent expecting an ACLS landing. At around 6 nm is when I find out that I'm supposed to fly mode 2. Even if it's a glitch, sounds like a realistic scenario that you are expecting ACLS but then have to switch to manual. And that's why I was wondering if at that point I should switch autopilot completely off.

The dampening makes sense, I won't be trying to land with autopilot on! 🙂 (unless ACLS). Thanks!

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

7 hours ago, Dentedend10 said:

I see what you are saying, that's how I would normally fly the descent too. However, for ACLS the autopilot needs to be engaged (is my understanding), so I just leave it on through descent expecting an ACLS landing. At around 6 nm is when I find out that I'm supposed to fly mode 2. Even if it's a glitch, sounds like a realistic scenario that you are expecting ACLS but then have to switch to manual. And that's why I was wondering if at that point I should switch autopilot completely off.

The dampening makes sense, I won't be trying to land with autopilot on! 🙂 (unless ACLS). Thanks!

It really is up to you. If you feel like flying a case3 manually with ICLS, simply use that and turn off the autopilot. If you feel like doing a fully automated landing with ACLS, simply do that. In both cases you can use or not use autothrottle as well, which is also up to you.

The radio call is a limit within DCS, so in the end, it is fair to say: the decision really is yours.

Either way I wish you many happy and successful landings!

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

You either fly manually or use ACLS with auto-throttle. Attitude hold might be your preference for the approach but it will be certainly uncomfortable to do any maneuvers with.

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#autopilot

Finally the ACL or Automatic Carrier Landing mode is used to conduct automatic carrier landings in conjunction with the Link 4 data link and the on-board radar beacon. To enable the ACL, set the VEC/PCD switch to ACL which will cause the A/P REF warning light to illuminate. When intercepting the ACL glideslope and with the ACL READY and A/P CPLR warning lights illuminated on the VDI, depress the nosewheel steering button on the control stick. This engages the ACL and lets the data link control the aircraft. The A/P REF warning light will turn off.

The ACL can be used in conjunction with the APC (see Throttle Controls) for a fully automatic landing. The ACL can be disengaged via the PLM button on the right throttle and the APC via the CAGE/SEAM button on the left throttle.

Edited by draconus
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria