TGT doesn't track moving

rwbishUP

Is there a reason the targeting pod refuses to track moving targets?!? Perfect contrast, slow moving target still nothing. I've got it to track once for about 100', until I crashed into the target seeing I was a quarter mile away from it before it even started tracking.

Edited by rwbishUP
  • Like 1

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

Moving target track and point track, neither one will lock and track a moving target

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

ran up a quick track file of it

av8 no track.trk

1 hour ago, rwbishUP said:

ran up a quick track file of it

I had no issue using PT/MT when I took control of your track.

1. Designate a target point near the moving vehicles (TDC depress/action).
2. Select a suitable zoom level to match the target size (too small/large may not track)
3. Move the TPOD so the vehicles will pass though the Tracking Box/Cross Hairs.
4. TPOD PT/MT should recognise the moving vehicle and lock/track it.

Tested DCS Open Beta 2.7.18.30348

Comment

If using an axis for TDC slews, make sure it doesn't have any drift/jitter and give it a centre dead zone, as any slew input will break the point/moving track lock.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 2

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Well, I was able to get it to track, somewhat anyway, by assigning my TDC slew to an axis instead of a hat switch, which makes no sense to me. But the axis slew is so "buggy" that it's a constant fight. It's either way to fast or barely moving, and when I try to slew full speed (moving ministick to max range) it doesn't even slew. I've tried tuning it a few different ways, but it's always extreme movement. This is including the tgt pod, maverick or the dmt. The undesignate function doesn't do anything for me except make the soi jump around to points that have no association with my flight. I tried to reassign my TDC to my hat switch but when I did, the tgt pod constantly drifted. Also, one of the test flights I did, I set to night time. I set my mfds to (night) and I couldn't even see them, it was just black screens, even when I turned up the brightness. Except when I switched to ehsd page, then it was blinding, I have to adjust every page, every time I select it. This is the only module I have issues with stuff like this. I know this topic was about the targeting pod, but I've found so many other issues with the module while trying to figure out the moving track problem. I'm just gonna write it off. It's been around for a few years, so I figure it's not going to get any better, for me anyway. Thanks for responding to the post and trying to help me out @zildac@Ramsay@Spurts

• Like 3

I think the TDC slewing is now bugged, as well undesignations, as I am experiencing exactly all the same issues you describe. Seems module is in broken state with more advanced targeting systems.

Edited by Shaman
  • Like 2

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

• 5 months later...

Revisited the AV8, thought some things might be fixed. No luck, the ongoing fight to track moving targets is incredible. I eventually had to use active pause and try to track lock a convoy that was heading in my general direction. I spent so much time trying to lock the vehicles, that when it FINALLY started tracking. I paused the sim and measured distance from me too the convoy. The range was........8 MILES OUT AND CLOSING. The contrast was perfect, the entire time. 8 miles wouldn't give a pilot time to scratch their a** before they were overflying the mark and getting their air frame turned into scrap metal. WTH is the deal with this module still not being able to do the simple things that it's supposed to do?!?!

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.03.23 - 03.08.30.21.png

• Like 2

+1 i have the same problem as yours: it is very difficult to lock onto moving targets. Sometime you do lock but with a certain amount of zoom, sometimes you don't... very annoying..

In comparison with the A10CII, no problem at all... you can lock whatever the " quantity" of zoom applied. it makes this module more "pro" for me and it is a pity because i like the Harrier too

Edited by Spirale
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 3:59 AM, Spirale said:

+1 i have the same problem as yours: it is very difficult to lock onto moving targets. Sometime you do lock but with a certain amount of zoom, sometimes you don't... very annoying..

In comparison with the A10CII, no problem at all... you can lock whatever the " quantity" of zoom applied. it makes this module more "pro" for me and it is a pity because i like the Harrier too

Yeah, it's a big problem! And, it seems like they have 0 intention of fixing it, wonder if this is what people have to look forward to with the F-15E? Would be nice if ED didn't support the eagle, until long running bugs like this were fixed for the customers who paid good money for the module! If not, I would worry that DCS will become "polluted" with broken, buggy payware modules. That may look hifi but are basically half developed cash grabs.

Edited by rwbishUP
  • Like 2