F6 and F10 views available?

1 hour ago, dporter22 said:

Is there a way to enable the F6 weapons view and F10 map view showing the player's aircraft in this campaign for those of us who aren't experts yet?

You might be able to force the settings on in your settings menu under the gameplay tab using the 'FORCE GAMEPLAY AND MISC OPTIONS' check box.  

5 hours ago, dporter22 said:

Yes, that's what I was asking, how do I override them?

If that function isn't working then unfortunately you can't unless you open the campaign mission in the editor and change the option yourself, but this will force you to play each mission as a single mission and not as a campaign.

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2022 at 6:05 PM, ChillNG said:

If that function isn't working then unfortunately you can't unless you open the campaign mission in the editor and change the option yourself, but this will force you to play each mission as a single mission and not as a campaign.

There is a way to accomplish what @dporter22 is asking for without forcing the player to play each as a separate mission.  I have done this myself and it works fine.  It does require LUA editing, however, the edit is pretty simple.

What you need to do is edit the "mission" lua file in every campaign mission (all 16) to adjust the "forcedOptions" that @ChillNG selected when he created the mission.

For instance, when I open the first mission's "mission" file (in notepad++) and scroll to the very bottom of this lua file, you'll see the following block of code:

["forcedOptions"] = 
    {
        ["civTraffic"] = "",
        ["RBDAI"] = false,
        ["optionsView"] = "optview_onlymap",
        ["labels"] = 3,
    }, -- end of ["forcedOptions"]

This code represents the mission overrides that @ChillNG set in his mission editor when saving this mission.

If you want to enable external views, all you need to do is insert the following line of code.

["externalViews"] = true,

Put that code inside the {} of the ["forcedOptions'] block.

If you want to change the F10 map from what is coded in this campaign (MAP ONLY), you'll need to determine which option you want.  See table below.

image.png

Simply copy the "Lua Entry" cell that corresponds to the desired F10 option and you're good to go.

For instance, if you wanted to enable external views and set F10 options to ALL, the ["forcedOptions"] block would look like this:

["forcedOptions"] = 
    {
        ["externalViews"] = true,
        ["civTraffic"] = "",
        ["RBDAI"] = false,
        ["optionsView"] = "optview_all",
        ["labels"] = 3,
    }, -- end of ["forcedOptions"]

You need to make these changes to every "mission" file across the entire campaign.

Make sure you backup the original "mission" file before you make any changes so you can revert back should this not work for you.  Also note, any changes to the Campaign from ED will overwrite your change(s).  

Now you can play the campaign as you would any other campaign but with the ability to use external views and the F10 map shows everything.  Not the way @ChillNGintended, but if that's how you want to play it, you can.

This information might be too late for the OP, but maybe someone down the road gets some use.

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 2 months later...

Thanks @Mistermann  I love the high quality stuff the campaign creators are putting out these days, but I will never understand why they feel the need to lock us out of certain parts of the game. I know they have their reasons, but they cannot know what my eyesight is like, or what hardware you have, or how she/he/they enjoys playing the game. Just giving a strongly worded recommendation for the settings with which the campaign is designed  ("OR YOU WILL BREAK THE MISSION") is enough, in my opinion. I do sympathize with them for all the messages they get about mission support and bugs and such - many of which are simply user error.

I try to buy as many campaigns as possible, even if it takes me years to play them all, mostly to support the campaign creators. However I've had enough frustrations with this that I'm now at the point of avoiding ones which force their views about labels, views, etc on me.

I'll definitely put your clever technique to use on some of the ones I already have. 

Cheers

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

Thanks @Mistermann  I love the high quality stuff the campaign creators are putting out these days, but I will never understand why they feel the need to lock us out of certain parts of the game. I know they have their reasons, but they cannot know what my eyesight is like, or what hardware you have, or how she/he/they enjoys playing the game. Just giving a strongly worded recommendation for the settings with which the campaign is designed  ("OR YOU WILL BREAK THE MISSION") is enough, in my opinion. I do sympathize with them for all the messages they get about mission support and bugs and such - many of which are simply user error.

I try to buy as many campaigns as possible, even if it takes me years to play them all, mostly to support the campaign creators. However I've had enough frustrations with this that I'm now at the point of avoiding ones which force their views about labels, views, etc on me.

I'll definitely put your clever technique to use on some of the ones I already have. 

Cheers

Just to add a thought to this: I always try to fly WW2 missions without using the F10 map, using dead reckoning - it's way more rewarding and fun that way. But unless the F10 map icons are forced OFF, I find myself peeking there...

Also, even with F10 views off you can still use the user mark function on the kneeboard to pinpoint your location.

Labels I would never force though...every display is different.

Ya, totally agree with you on that. Dead reckoning draws you into the experience so much more than live moving map icons. It feels like you get twice as much for your investment doing it this way. I actually like these kind of flights even when there is no enemy contact.  It still feels like an accomplishment. It would be nice if there was an option for map only with static flight plan marked out. The default kneeboard maps are rubbish in my opinion. 

However dcs has so many bugs, and is so breakable that there are times when being able to turn on  map icons - at least allied ones- can be very helpful for figuring what the #$%@ is going on: is it user error, mission design, dcs bug, wonky AI?

I've flown some campaigns where labels are forced one way or another, or off entirely.. and not even consistently through the whole campaign, with changes between missions. The number of times I've had to pause to check that my bindings are still working ... 

And on an enjoyment note, it would be great to fly into enemy air space, carefully avoiding SAM detection, get within range to drop your ordinance and then get to see it impact on target ... but with external views restricted we miss all of that. 

I guess one size can't fit all. 

(btw: champing at the bit for some mosquito action and a good reason to finally try to learn the harrier - c'mon ob patch)

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 1

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

My pleasure, @wowbagger.  Happy this helps people enjoy DCS the way they want.  Like you, I purchase a fair number of campaigns.  I really enjoy the ability to watch my ordinances hit.  My guilty pleasure.  That's ultimately why I sought out a solution and posted my findings above.  Happy to give back to this incredible community.  I've still received far more than I've given.

As for F10, I try to avoid "cheating" and admit there are times when I just need a quick peek.  😀

• Like 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2023 at 7:21 AM, Mistermann said:

My pleasure, @wowbagger.  Happy this helps people enjoy DCS the way they want.  Like you, I purchase a fair number of campaigns.  I really enjoy the ability to watch my ordinances hit.  My guilty pleasure.  That's ultimately why I sought out a solution and posted my findings above.  Happy to give back to this incredible community.  I've still received far more than I've given.

As for F10, I try to avoid "cheating" and admit there are times when I just need a quick peek.  😀

Hey thanks for making me aware you can edit the mission data....when you say the "mission file", what file is that? I tried viewing the .miz files in Mods/Campaign/A-10C Operation Persian Freedom/ in Notepad++,  but theyre clearly not the files that need editing.

3 hours ago, jstnj said:

Hey thanks for making me aware you can edit the mission data....when you say the "mission file", what file is that? I tried viewing the .miz files in Mods/Campaign/A-10C Operation Persian Freedom/ in Notepad++,  but theyre clearly not the files that need editing.

You're in the right place.  Those .MIZ files are really just compressed ZIP files.  Open them with your favorite ZIP extractor.  For example, the first mission is called "Persian Freedom TK 1 FINAL.miz".  Open it in your zip tool of choice and you'll see this:

image.png

Open the file called "mission" in Notepad++ and edit per the instructions above.

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

3 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

You're in the right place.  Those .MIZ files are really just compressed ZIP files.  Open them with your favorite ZIP extractor.  For example, the first mission is called "Persian Freedom TK 1 FINAL.miz".  Open it in your zip tool of choice and you'll see this:

image.png

Open the file called "mission" in Notepad++ and edit per the instructions above.

TIL miz files are a compressed filetype and not some proprietary ED thing.

Thanks 🙂

Glad to be of service! 

The way my brain works is .MIZ=.ZIP  I'm sure there are folks who can elaborate at a much deeper technical level.  😉

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

5 hours ago, Mistermann said:

Glad to be of service! 

The way my brain works is .MIZ=.ZIP  I'm sure there are folks who can elaborate at a much deeper technical level.  😉

I appreciate it 🙂

One more question: I can easily extract the contents of these files, but I cannot seem to update contents within the original miz..is there a trick to that?

I tried 2 strategies, neither work:

1. Open miz in 7zip, right click mission file and "View", edit the data and then try to save it inline within 7zip
2. Open miz in 7zip, extract the missions file, edit it in Notepad++ and try to overwrite the original using 7zip

Both result in "Access denied"

Maybe something changed about the encryption, or maybe I'm just doing something wrong..

Edited by jstnj