HP Reverb G2, used buyer questions

I find quite many used ones on eBay lately, much more than usual and the price is very close to a new Quest 2...

A few questions:

1. What are the differences between V1 headset to V2?

2. Does it work well with AM4 system?

3 What things should a buyer note with a used G2?

4. I read some where about cable problems. How bad is it? If I were hit by such, what option do I have?

5. So what are the V1 and V2 cables? How would I know which one I get? Is there any 3rd party option?

If anyone has question, feel free to join in.  Thank you.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I recently went from a Quest 2 to a refurbished G2 v1. Big improvement in visuals.
1. V2 has better cable, closer fitting facial gasket (improves FOV) & better tracking of controllers.
2. Yes, but I have latest BIOS on an MSI B550 board with a SATA powered PCIe USB card. So far no issues with v1 cable. Haven't dared try it directly on the 550's built in USBs (scared!).
3. Probably will have a broken cable clip at rear of headset (not really that important).  V1 will have the reduced FOV so maybe consider purchasing a V2 gasket from eBay etc. Note, V2 gasket is not for spectacle wearers - it sets the lenses too close to the eyes to be able to wear glasses at the same time.
4. No problems with my V1 so far. Cable (& headset in general) definitely do not have same build quality as Quest 2, but still perfectly usable.
5. I've looked and I think you may have to phone HP. Seems to be very limited supply of V2 cables.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Further questions:

6. I think G2 does not have hand/fingers tracking in Quest2, correct?

7. Since I have never used WMR before, does  launching DCS World need a controller?

8. Or is there a downside of having no controller?

9. Does G2 need extra power supply?

10. As above, doe the face gasket for V2 headset work with V1 headset?

11. I am glasses user, so would a 3rd party glasses spacer help?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

31 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Further questions:

6. I think G2 does not have hand/fingers tracking in Quest2, correct?

7. Since I have never used WMR before, does  launching DCS World need a controller?

8. Or is there a downside of having no controller?

9. Does G2 need extra power supply?

10. As above, doe the face gasket for V2 headset work with V1 headset?

11. I am glasses user, so would a 3rd party glasses spacer help?

6. Correct. No hand tracking. 
7. No. I set mine up with a mouse. I only use it for DCS so no controllers aren’t an issue. 
8. Only if you want to use controllers 😉.  
9. It comes with a PSU as part of the cable. 
10. Yes. 
11. Maybe. The v1 gasket works fine with glasses. I have ordered prescription VR lenses so hopefully will be able to use a v2/wider FOV gasket when the lenses arrive. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Further question:

If I were to get one from eBay, how could I know if it is a "brick" or not? Is it possible for G2 to become a "brick"?

1 hour ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Further question:

If I were to get one from eBay, how could I know if it is a "brick" or not? Is it possible for G2 to become a "brick"?

I would think it would be possible for any electronic device to become a brick as you call it.

Best you can do is buy from a trusted source.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If you buy second hand try to get a photo of the serial number (on a sticker inside the body behind the gasket) so you can check any remaining warranty on the HP website. If it has some left make sure you get a copy of the original proof of purchase.

Mine was second hand from eBay and it bricked itself (headset not cable), fortunately I had two weeks left on warranty and got a replacement.

If you buy from cex then you'll have a solid warranty with them.

Edited by edmuss
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• 4 weeks later...

More questions:

1. Should I plug the cable to the display port on the MOBO or should I plug it onto the one with the graphics card, especially if the system is AMD-based?
  2. I am a glasses user, would a pair of lens spacers work? It works with Quest2.
  3. Does the FOV mod face mask work, especially with glasses user like me?
  4. Can I have both Quest2 and G2 connected to the same system?

Thank you. 

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

46 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

More questions:

1. Should I plug the cable to the display port on the MOBO or should I plug it onto the one with the graphics card, especially if the system is AMD-based?
  2. I am a glasses user, would a pair of lens spacers work? It works with Quest2.

Thank you. 

1. Plug into the dp on the graphics card

4. Yes

I can’t answer the glasses questions

• Thanks 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

3 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

More questions:

Thank you. 

2. Yes but not needed. The standard spacer is fine for using glasses. 
3. Not likely. The FOV mod face gasket sits the Reverb’s lenses very close to your face/eyes so there is very little room for glasses. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I will reuse this thread. I just bought a refurbished Reverb G2 V2 from ebay. Comparing it to my Odyssey+, the old HMD has better head tracking. With the new one I experience constant head movements. Just like a bumpy ride. Are there any reports that some units have worse head tracking than others? Should I return it or just live with it?

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 64GB DDR4@3600CL16, RTX 3090 (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, Reverb G2 V2

Check your environment, the G2 needs quite a lot of clearly defined objects for it to track properly. It doesn't need that much light either but bright sunlight has been known to throw it off.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see what I can do. Even when it's at rest on my desk, the position continues to wobble. It only stops when I cover it completely with a towel. At least this indicates that the problem is not noise from the internal accelerometer.

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 64GB DDR4@3600CL16, RTX 3090 (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

From my experiences with Reverb G1s I would be thinking the cable may be the issue. The G2 has an external power connection - is the light coming on?

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

It lights up as expected. I don't see a problem with the power supply. I have tried different angles/positions in the room but the problem persists. When at rest, the position wobbles. It's not much, but it's annoying enough.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:03 PM, ppokit said:

I recently went from a Quest 2 to a refurbished G2 v1. Big improvement in visuals.
1. V2 has better cable, closer fitting facial gasket (improves FOV) & better tracking of controllers.

That's excactly what I wanted to "hear" entering this thread. The back order predicts delivery in store on 17th. of january.
I'm currently playing the patience game. But it will be mine.
-Some short week after the 17th.

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

5 minutes ago, Moxica said:

That's excactly what I wanted to "hear" entering this thread. The back order predicts delivery in store on 17th. of january.
I'm currently playing the patience game. But it will be mine.
-Some short week after the 17th.

It will be well worth the wait - have fun!!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I ordered my G2 on 11/26/22 and it was delivered 12/11/22 even though it said estimated delivery was 1/17/23.  Seems they are cranking them out fast!

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000