So... it is new or upgrade?

Japo32

I don't have too much HardDrive Space. So it will be an upgrade for Normandy so I won't uninstall Normady1, or is a new map, so I can uninstall the first map?

I suppose The channel is a totally different map as it is ED one, but I suppose I can remove it unless I have campaigns in it, isn't it?

Answered in the FAQ (thanks!) A (first) opportunity lost to have all 3 maps in only one. But I suppose ED didn't want to lose all the possibilities to continue selling his The Channel map. 

With this movement, unless all the payware and all freeware missions are converted to the new Normandy 2 map, which may be very tricky to do, then we would need to have 3 maps installed to play WW2. A shame for our hardDrives.

If they find the way to seamlessly connect the normandy2 low region with The Channel map, then it would be more or less the same as having a big unique map. Hope they find a way. I think the better solution is that ED gives the assets and all the map to Ugra Media so they can put in their Normandy2 map, and the same Ugra does with their assets to ED, so they can incorporate into The Channel map... and when you have both bought, then the "unique" single map installed would show the areas you bought. That way it would be totally seamless.

Same method with Syria and Sinai (if such a big assets map would be possible to be loaded in memory)

Edited by Japo32
  • Like 2

• ED Team
On 10/11/2022 at 4:25 AM, Japo32 said:

If they find the way to seamlessly connect the normandy2 low region with The Channel map

I do not think this is possible for a number of reasons, I think this is something we would look at more when and if we manage to put together an entire world map. Right now the Channel and the Normandy map are created by 2 different teams, and they simply cannot be merged together easily. The tech is very new and immature for doing so and the extensive changes and differences in the Normandy 2.0 make it tough to easily combine or make compatible. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2022 at 12:02 PM, NineLine said:

I do not think this is possible for a number of reasons, I think this is something we would look at more when and if we manage to put together an entire world map. Right now the Channel and the Normandy map are created by 2 different teams, and they simply cannot be merged together easily. The tech is very new and immature for doing so and the extensive changes and differences in the Normandy 2.0 make it tough to easily combine or make compatible. 

Is there any reason why the new Normandy map cannot simply recreate the Channel portion in high detail and we can simply scrap the Normandy 1.0 and Channel maps? That would go a long way in improving DCS WWII because it would consolidate the entire ETO WWII community into one theater/map and then when the Marianas map drops, we could have simply two distinct, highly-detailed, state of the art maps, rather than having two maps that everyone uses and two obsolete maps. Does this not make sense?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@drewm3i, one reason would be the varying map and campaign combinations. 

If you forced convergence to the latest map, you might have people with the older maps stranded with respect to their purchased campaigns being broken.  But if you allow different maps, you force campaign authors to double or triple their work. 

I believe  @Reflected already commented that he didn't intend to recreate and maintain multiple campaigns for multiple map versions of the same / similar area.  Happy to be corrected, but there's at least one reason.