Normandy 2.0 FAQ

MAESTR0

Hi!
We have seen your questions and will try to answer them.

When will it release?

The intent is to release into Early Access before the end of 2022. However, this may extend into early 2023 based on testing results.

How much will it cost?

DCS: Normandy 2 will be available as a complete map for $59.99 USD with 20% off while in Early Access. If you have either DCS: Normandy 1944 or DCS: The Channel maps, you can purchase Normandy 2 for $14.99 USD. If you own both, you can purchase DCS: Normandy 2 for only $9.99 USD.

How big is the Normandy 2.0 map compared to the Normandy 1944 map?

Please see the attached image that illustrates the low and high detail areas of the Normandy 2.0 map compared to the existing Normandy 1944 map. The Normandy 2.0 map will be 400x600 km, which will make it significantly larger than the Normandy 1944 map.

Normandy_area_map.jpg

Is this a combining the Normandy 1944 and Channel maps?

No, this is an all-new map that covers all the same area as the Normandy 1944 map, plus an extensive expansion that also covers large parts of the same area included in the Channel map.

What new cities and landmarks have been added?

Chief of among them are London and Paris, but it will also include many new medium to small size urban areas that make up the greatly expanded area. This will also include new ports, airfields, factories, rivers, canals, and more. Most of the Normandy 1944 map objects have also been greatly improved like buildings, bridges, airfield objects, rail lines, roads, trees, fences, poles, and more.

What airfields will be included at release?

The total number of airfields has bee increases to 50 for the Early Access version. This may further increase after Early Access release. Please see the attached map for a listing of the initial airfields.

Am I paying for the same map twice?

No, this is a new map, not an upgrade to the existing Normandy 1944 map. Although the Normandy 2.0 map includes the same area covered in the Normandy 1944 map, it is much larger with greater detail, accuracy, texture resolution, and trees.

Because the Normandy 1944 map was created using older map technology and tools, it is not possible to simply expand the size of that existing map. The Normandy 2.0 map has been created with new map technology and tools that has allowed us to greatly increase the map size and amount of detail.

Because they are different maps, all existing missions and campaigns created for the Normandy 1944 and the Channel maps will continue to function on those maps, nothing changes. However, missions created for the Normandy 1944 map would not work in the Normandy 2.0 map. As such, the Normandy 1944 and Channel map will continue to be for sale.

If I only own the Normandy 1944 Map, will I be able to join servers running the Normandy 2.0 map?

Yes, but detail areas included in the Normandy 2.0 map and not in the Normandy 1944 map would be at low detail and missing world objects. This item is still being worked on and may change.

Will the framerates be worse than the current Normandy 1944 map?

Using the latest Terrain Development Kit (TDK), we have optimized Normandy 2.0, despite an increase in the number of objects. You should see no loss in performance compared to the Normandy 1944 map.

Will there be winter textures?

We plan for the Normandy 2.0 to only include the summer season as it is being created around operations in Normandy in the summer of 1944 (Opération Neptune).

What airfields are there in Normandy 2.0

Airfields in France

A1 Saint Pierre du Mont
A2 Cricqueville-en-Bessin
B17 Carpiquet
A12 Lignerolles
A14 Cretteville
A15 Maupertus
A16 Brucheville
A20 Lessay - оригинальны
A3 Cardonville
A4 Deux Jumeaux
A5 Chippelle
A7 Azeville
B9 Lantheuil
A17 Meautis
A21 Sainte-Laurent-sur-Mer
A24 Biniville
A6 Beuzeville
A8 Picauville
A9 Le Molay
B11 Longues-sur-Mer
B2 Bazenville
B3 Sainte-Croix-sur-Mer
B4 Beny-sur-Mer
B7 Rucqueville
B8 Sommervieu
Beauvais-Tille
Cormeilles-en-Vexin
Dinan-Trelivan
Fecamp_Benouville
Evreux
Guyancourt
Villacoublay
Saint-Andre de l Eure
Orly
Amiens_Glisy
Argentan
Avranches Le Val-Saint-Pere
Barville
Conches
Creil
Deauville
Essay
Flers
Goulet
Hauterive
Lonrai
Poix
Ronai
Rouen-Boos
Saint-Aubin
Triqueville
Vrigny
Broglie
Beaumont-le-Roger
Bernay Saint Martin

Airfields in UK
Chailey
Farnborough
Ford
Funtington
Gravesend
Heathrow
Kenley
Needs Oar Point
Tangmere
West Malling
Deanland
Friston
Lymington
Odiham
Stoney Cross

• Like 17
  • Thanks 15

Yeah, honestly a bit disappointed that the 1000 hours put into making missions for the Normandy map will be for naught if we decide to switch to the new map. I was hoping for the missions to work and only needing little adjustments to the ground unit placements to accomodate new buildings and such. Still looking forward to the map, but this is a bummer..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, MAESTR0 said:

Hi!

When will it release?

The intent is to release into Early Access before the end of 2022. However, this may extend into early 2023 based on testing results.

How much will it cost?

DCS: Normandy 2 will be available as a complete map for $59.99 USD with 20% off while in Early Access. If you have either DCS: Normandy 1944 or DCS: The Channel maps, you can purchase Normandy 2 for $14.99 USD. If you own both, you can purchase DCS: Normandy 2 for only $9.99 USD.

How big is the Normandy 2.0 map compared to the Normandy 1944 map?

Please see the attached image that illustrates the low and high detail areas of the Normandy 2.0 map compared to the existing Normandy 1944 map. The Normandy 2.0 map will be 400x600 km, which will make it significantly larger than the Normandy 1944 map.

Normandy_area_map.jpg

Is this a combining the Normandy 1944 and Channel maps?

No, this is an all-new map that covers all the same area as the Normandy 1944 map, plus an extensive expansion that also covers large parts of the same area included in the Channel map.

What new cities and landmarks have been added?

Chief of among them are London and Paris, but it will also include many new medium to small size urban areas that make up the greatly expanded area. This will also include new ports, airfields, factories, rivers, canals, and more. Most of the Normandy 1944 map objects have also been greatly improved like buildings, bridges, airfield objects, rail lines, roads, trees, fences, poles, and more.

The total number of airfields has bee increases to 50 for the Early Access version. This may further increase after Early Access release. Please see the attached map for a listing of the initial airfields.

No, this is a new map, not an upgrade to the existing Normandy 1944 map. Although the Normandy 2.0 map includes the same area covered in the Normandy 1944 map, it is much larger with greater detail, accuracy, texture resolution, and trees.

Because the Normandy 1944 map was created using older map technology and tools, it is not possible to simply expand the size of that existing map. The Normandy 2.0 map has been created with new map technology and tools that has allowed us to greatly increase the map size and amount of detail.

Because they are different maps, all existing missions and campaigns created for the Normandy 1944 and the Channel maps will continue to function on those maps, nothing changes. However, missions created for the Normandy 1944 map would not work in the Normandy 2.0 map. As such, the Normandy 1944 and Channel map will continue to be for sale.

If I only own the Normandy 1944 Map, will I be able to join servers running the Normandy 2.0 map?

Yes, but detail areas included in the Normandy 2.0 map and not in the Normandy 1944 map would be at low detail and missing world objects. This item is still being worked on and may change.

Will the framerates be worse than the current Normandy 1944 map?

Using the latest Terrain Development Kit (TDK), we have optimized Normandy 2.0, despite an increase in the number of objects. You should see no loss in performance compared to the Normandy 1944 map.

Will there be winter textures?

We plan for the Normandy 2.0 to only include the summer season as it is being created around operations in Normandy in the summer of 1944 (Opération Neptune).

Thank you very much for the update and for including the Channel map users. I will buy on the first day. 

• Like 3

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

2 hours ago, MAESTR0 said:

Hi!

Hi @MAESTR0,

Thanks for the FAQ, I have a small question .. will the internal dcs map coordinates be the same as on the prior Normandy 1944, I mean the same coordinate origin and coordinate scales?

I ask, because if the internal map coordinates are the same, it would then be relatively easy to adapt my prior missions to the new map, I would only need to edit the 

["theatre"] = "Normandy",

mission sentence, and all mission objects would already be on the correct place.

Best regards, and I will still purchase the map even if its coordinates are not the same (because of the very very reasonable upgrade price 🙂 )

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

What happens when ‘ Normandy 1 players’ on a Normandy 2 server spawn at an airbase that isn’t on the Normandy 1944 map? Will they be able to take off, or will they crash as they would on the old low res surface? Are the differences between the high res areas in Normandy 1944 that overlap onto Normandy 2 so slight that units placed by a mission maker won’t behave differently, or look differently, on the two maps?  Will they appear inside buildings, or inside trees, or floating midair where thaere are differences? With such a change in high detail areas I feel it is wrong to have players with such different views of the world/mission created by the creator to be flying on the same server.

• Like 3

Nice one let's leave out the channel area and create a weird L shape, thanks ED for increasing the barrier to WW2 entry even higher. Oh nice MR New player you just got the spitfire, now you just need the assets, and the map, and oh the other map, oh wait, now you need the 3rd map because maps 1 and 2 don't have the channel area... come on...

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 OC'd 4.2Ghz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz | RTX 3070Ti Founders Edition | Oculus Quest 2

1 hour ago, barry_c said:

Nice one let's leave out the channel area and create a weird L shape

The Map is still rectangular, but its top right corner is low res.

• Like 5

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

10 minutes ago, barry_c said:

Nice one let's leave out the channel area and create a weird L shape, thanks ED for increasing the barrier to WW2 entry even higher. Oh nice MR New player you just got the spitfire, now you just need the assets, and the map, and oh the other map, oh wait, now you need the 3rd map because maps 1 and 2 don't have the channel area... come on...

3rd party Map, no builded by ED, buided by Ugra Media 3rd party as Normandy 1.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

7 minutes ago, barry_c said:

Get the Assets and Channel map on sale around Christmas, then get Normandy V2 with a solid discount, as it will probably come out after Christmas. In the meantime, you can use the free trials of the Assets, Channel, and Normandy V1 map for a few weeks to see if you like them. The only barrier is a bit of patience.

• Like 3

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

11 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Get the Assets and Channel map on sale around Christmas, then get Normandy V2 with a solid discount, as it will probably come out after Christmas. In the meantime, you can use the free trials of the Assets, Channel, and Normandy V1 map for a few weeks to see if you like them. The only barrier is a bit of patience.

I already own all except channel, DCS ww2 is basically dead the last thing it needs is higher cost to entry, not everyone is well off.

16 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

The Map is still rectangular, but its top right corner is low res.

That's my point.

13 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

3rd party Map, no builded by ED, buided by Ugra Media 3rd party as Normandy 1.

And you think ED have no say in that?

And also Heathrow? The famed military base what?

Edited by barry_c

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 OC'd 4.2Ghz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz | RTX 3070Ti Founders Edition | Oculus Quest 2

9 minutes ago, barry_c said:

And you think ED have no say in that?

And also Heathrow? The famed military base what?

do you dont read them?

Remember, Ugra Media Siria Map was expanded 3 times...

• Like 4

vor 35 Minuten schrieb barry_c:

You made a fair point. Would make sense, if you buy the new Normandy 2.0 map first, there will be then a discount on The Channel map to purchase for 14.99 $.  

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Rosebud47 said:

You made a fair point. Would make sense, if you buy the new Normandy 2.0 map first, there will be then a discount on The Channel map to purchase for 14.99 $.  

No the discount is for current owners of Normandy 1 and The Channel. There would be no other discounts in reverse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

1 hour ago, barry_c said:

DCS ww2 is basically dead

That statement needs a bit of clarification .. maybe you mean that Multiplayer WW2 is dead, because for that majority of users that play DCS alone it does not seem dead and the release in recent years of the P-47, Mosquito, Fw-190 A8, plus the Channel Map, seems to prove that there is a market which will purchase WW2 items.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

That statement needs a bit of clarification .. maybe you mean that Multiplayer WW2 is dead, because for that majority of users that play DCS alone it does not seem dead and the release in recent years of the P-47, Mosquito, Fw-190 A8, plus the Channel Map, seems to prove that there is a market which will purchase WW2 items.

That discussion should be held elsewhere. And also I guess the 50 players on 4ya WW2 yesterday evening would disagree.

• Like 3

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

3 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Go and look at the WW2 MP population 1 year ago versus today, ED have since revised that number btw, saying it's now about 50/50 IIRC.

Having that area low res, plus historically inaccurate airfields, Heathrow, Farnborough, looking at you, just makes me think this is a waste of time, imagine the awkward flightpaths you'll have to take if you want to avoid the low res area, the low res area will end up completely disused and frankly ruins the potential for this map.

Are people with dedicated servers expected to have to install all 3 too? Channel is bigger than normandy in Gb, Normandy 1 already isn't small, we're going to end up with ridiculous install sizes now...

@NineLine but that makes it tricky for new players, who don´t know, that they have to buy The Channel first ( for full price )to get the discount for Normandy 2.0. But if a new player buys Normandy 2.0 first ( for full price ), he got to pay the full price for The Channel anyways. 

But to be honest, i think ED will discount the price for The Channel anyways, once Normandy 2.0 gets released. Still a lot of water will run down the river until then.

• Like 3

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

1 hour ago, MrExplosion said:

That discussion should be held elsewhere.

OK, I will unfollow this thread and keep my opinion to myself.

1 hour ago, MrExplosion said:

And also I guess the 50 players on 4ya WW2 yesterday evening would disagree.

And I guess you didn't understood what I actually wrote on my post.