Normandy 2.0 FAQ

MAESTR0

18 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

OK, I will unfollow this thread and keep my opinion to myself.

And I guess you didn't understood what I actually wrote on my post. 

Excuse me. My reply was more directed at barry_c 

This is the FAQ for the new map and not a discussion if WW2 is dead or not. Since me and alot of other users are excited about the new map, we should not derail this thread.

• Like 7

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

38 minutes ago, barry_c said:

I already own all except channel, DCS ww2 is basically dead the last thing it needs is higher cost to entry, not everyone is well off.

DCS WWII is dead? I'm glad no one told my P-51 because I had a great flight in it yesterday. 

And agreed that not everyone is well off. I buy stuff on sale when possible, and that option is open to you as well. The discount on the Normandy V2 map makes for a very fair and affordable purchase price in my opinion. 

• Like 4

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 hour ago, MrExplosion said:

Excuse me. My reply was more directed at barry_c

Yet you quoted me, funny 🙄

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

8 minutes ago, Beirut said:

DCS WWII is dead? I'm glad no one told my P-51 because I had a great flight in it yesterday. 

And agreed that not everyone is well off. I buy stuff on sale when possible, and that option is open to you as well. The discount on the Normandy V2 map makes for a very fair and affordable purchase price in my opinion. 

I have genuine criticisms here, you're not responding to any of them, nor is the chap above, if you disagree please address and explain why.

And to avoid any doubt, I like urga products, I own Normandy and Syria, both great, but having the channel area low res is just ED all over.

Edited by barry_c
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 OC'd 4.2Ghz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz | RTX 3070Ti Founders Edition | Oculus Quest 2

G'day Maestro

Glad to see someone from Team Ugra stepping up and giving us the low down on Normandy V.2.0. My initial impression was not favorable to say the least, but as more information has become available that has softened considerably. Mainly want more battlefields in more diverse locations. That said I do had some questions.

So I will just go straight to the"3 Elephants  in the room" Games such as DCS are fairly "niche" products and as such it is hard to get people into these types of games. So as a 3rd party what do you see as your role in (hopefully) bringing more people to DCS?

More people> more money> more opportunity for more maps, land & sea unit packs=happier player base>more profit for ED and partners. So initially I didn't think V.2.0 would achieve that. As someone who is very new to DCS I don't want to buy products that I cannot use if the game dies.

But I have watched DCS through mediums such Grim Reapers for years though and I chose to invest over the last year because I believed that DCS was not far hitting a critical mass that could turn a good game to Multi Century E-sport for a broad audience.

But still to achieve this ED and 3rd parties have to work out some glaring issues with the core game.

So to the 2nd Elephant in the room Do you think as a developer, in unison with other map makers to lobby ED to Create the much mentioned "Global Map" and does this "GM" offer benefits to you as a "map maker"

Now for the 3rd elephant Can you see development of this map extending past release Maybe add BENELUX, parts of Germany? Have you considered adding time periods, I thinking along the lines of maybe a late 60s-early 80 layer and a 20?? layer.

Just to be clear I am not expecting you to deliver this in 1 package. Upon reflection I do think Normandy V.2.0 may also be joined by V.3.0 and so on ad infinitum.

Any way just some things to consider.

Loved Syria BTW keep up the good work👍

Edited by GUFA
  • Like 2

• ED Team
9 minutes ago, barry_c said:

I have genuine criticisms here, you're not responding to any of them, nor is the chap above, if you disagree please address and explain why.

And to avoid any doubt, I like urga products, I own Normandy and Syria, both great, but having the channel area low res is just ED all over.

This thread isn't about responding to your many criticisms, this is a FAQ thread about this new map, please stay on topic.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Just now, barry_c said:

Happiness is the art of the possible. We have to work with what we have. Do I wish the maps were twice as big and the planes were half the price? Of course. But they're not. So we count our dollars, wait for sales, and buy what we can afford that will give us the best flying fun. 

I'm not saying some of your criticisms are not valid, but we have to remember that DCS is a sandbox. It's LEGO. You put the pieces together as you see fit. While that may be a drawback for some, it's a massively good thing for me. The sandbox aspect of DCS is key to my flying fun. I'm going to buy the Normandy V2 map, and if all I do is fly my Ka-50 on it, well I'll be having a lot of fun and no one can tell me I'm doing it wrong.

And you are free to do as you wish.

• Like 4

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

7 minutes ago, NineLine said:

This thread isn't about responding to your many criticisms, this is a FAQ thread about this new map, please stay on topic.

Can you explain how I am not on topic? There are many questions to be had in my replies, I am quite literally questioning the choices here, as usual you like to twist reality.

Edited by barry_c
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 OC'd 4.2Ghz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz | RTX 3070Ti Founders Edition | Oculus Quest 2

I'm very disappointed that the most iconic area in the new map, the area around Dover including the famous white cliffs, Dover port, Dover Castle, Chain Home radar station, etc isn't included in the high detail area. This was a golden opportunity to include that area in this map properly. Might that area be included in high detail at some point?

Edited by bell_rj
  • Like 8

PC specs:

3 minutes ago, barry_c said:

Can you explain how I am not on topic? There are many questions to be had in my replies, as usual you like to twist reality.

Mabye this is a better way to get an answer.

This is WW 2 Heathrow:

Heathrow ww2-5687.jpg

Is this the Heathrow we will be getting?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DCS WW2 multiplayer is alive and kicking. Could be busier, as always, but that's not the purpose of this thread and I'm not about to continue derailing it.

Some questions:

1. When will we know if the old Normandy and Normandy v2 are cross-compatible? The original post is contradictory. Either missions created for Normandy v1 will work on Normandy v2 or they won't - at the moment this must include multiplayer as there's no difference in the miz file between a single player mission and multiplayer (except for official campaigns)

2. Project Overlord, the 4YA WW2 mission design team, has large amounts of historical reference material about the air power component of Operation Neptune and the German response to it which we've put together as we build our missions. Can we share any of this with you to assist?

3. What's with the airfield choices? Heathrow, Farnborough? Perhaps some USAAF airfields in England would be good to add instead of a private company's test airfield (as Heathrow was in 1944 - Fairey Aviation's all-grass factory airfield) and an experimental base (Farnborough). For the USAAF bases I'd suggest Stoney Cross and Hurn: Hurn still exists today (Bournemouth International (!) Airport) and Stoney Cross's runway layout still exists even though the site has been derelict for years.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Skewgear said:

DCS WW2 multiplayer is alive and kicking. Could be busier, as always, but that's not the purpose of this thread and I'm not about to continue derailing it.

Some questions:

1. When will we know if the old Normandy and Normandy v2 are cross-compatible? The original post is contradictory. Either missions created for Normandy v1 will work on Normandy v2 or they won't - at the moment this must include multiplayer as there's no difference in the miz file between a single player mission and multiplayer (except for official campaigns)

2. Project Overlord, the 4YA WW2 mission design team, has large amounts of historical reference material about the air power component of Operation Neptune and the German response to it which we've put together as we build our missions. Can we share any of this with you to assist?

3. What's with the airfield choices? Heathrow, Farnborough? Perhaps some USAAF airfields in England would be good to add instead of a private company's test airfield (as Heathrow was in 1944 - Fairey Aviation's all-grass factory airfield) and an experimental base (Farnborough). For the USAAF bases I'd suggest Stoney Cross and Hurn: Hurn still exists today (Bournemouth International (!) Airport) and Stoney Cross's runway layout still exists even though the site has been derelict for years.

I will answer 1 and 2 to help out.

1) its going to be tested soon. The reasons some missions may not be compatible is the fact that some current airbases are being improved and changed. Thats the simplest answer. But all this will come out in testing, and we can update as that happens.

2) reach out to me on Discord or PM here and I will see if I can get you a direct connect with someone if they are interested. 

3) I will leave to Ugra to answer if they want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

12 minutes ago, GUFA said:

This is WW 2 Heathrow:

Heathrow ww2-5687.jpg

That's not 'WW2 Heathrow'.  The aerodrome operated by Fairey Aviation was taken by the MoD under pretences of building a transport bomber base, that was resisted by Churchill and others.  Work on building the runways only started in 1944 after compulsory purchase of the old aerodrome (a grass field) and the surrounding farmland, and Heathrow airport didn't open until 1946.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bell_rj said:

I'm very disappointed that the most iconic area in the new map, the area around Dover including the famous white cliffs, Dover port, Dover Castle, Chain Home radar station, etc isn't included in the high detail area. This was a golden opportunity to include that area in this map properly. Might that area be included in high detail at some point?

15 minutes ago, GUFA said:

This is WW 2 Heathrow:

Heathrow ww2-5687.jpg

38 minutes ago, barry_c said:

Do your know Ugra media has talked in the FAQ, Normandy 2.0 will be expanded?  Heathrow 2.0 has not show by Ugra Media yet.

8 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Do your know Ugra media has talked in the FAQ, Normandy 2.0 will be expanded?  Heathrow 2.0 has not show by Ugra Media yet.

My intent was to give barry_c a way to get his question answered, and stay away from the ban hammer😉

Edited by GUFA
spelling fix

Here's a historical video produced about the history of Heathrow during the period https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1945to1951/filmpage_la.htm Will we be getting the grass aerodrome with the Fairey Aviation Hangar and buildings, or a construction site, or the one runway when the airfield opened in 1946, or the one with multiple runways when they were finished sometime later?  Is that a better way of asking?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, burritto said:

That's not 'WW2 Heathrow'.

This is an Heathrow area airbase isn't it? It does match the one early in the film

19 minutes ago, burritto said:

Here's a historical video produced about the history of Heathrow during the period

A quick wiki search seems to indicate Heathrow opened 46 is this correct? Anyway cool film👍.

Edited by GUFA
spelling fix
  • Like 1

Summer-only. It is a bit disappointing, but understandable.

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

7 minutes ago, GUFA said:

This is an Heathrow area airbase isn't it? It does match the one early in the film

A quick wiki search seam ti indicate Heathrow opened 46 is this correct? Anyway cool film👍.

Yes, the aerodrome opened as London Airport in 1946 when the first runway was complete. That aircraft approach shown in the movie is probably a little later (the movie was released in 1949), as there are several runways and some airfield buildings (they used tents initially in 1946).  It wasn't a military base, either before or after 1944.  Fairey Aviation developed the site. There were military detachments there earlier in the war years during the blitz of London but it wasn't used routinely as a military base, which is why it seems such a strange choice of field to add.  Farnborough is similar, though it was used by the Royal Aircraft Establishment so had lots of joint military and civilian test flying going on, and more regular military detachments.

Edited by burritto
typo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, burritto said:

Yes, the aerodrome opened as London Airport in 1946 when the first runway was complete.

Really unusual layout, am I looking 4 or five runways here?

Edited by GUFA
  • Like 1

Full book on all the French airfields occupied or taken over by the Germans.  So ALGs not included

http://www.ww2.dk/Airfields - France.pdf

Luftwaffe Airfields 1935-45

France (with Corsica and Channel Islands)

By Henry L. deZeng IV

Even in Normandy 1 there are a number of fields missing.  I look forward to seeing them added, as well as a more complete list for Normandy 2's expanded area.. 

Edited by Magic Zach
  • Like 2

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

I own Normandy 1.0 and The Channel Map, and $9.99 to upgrade to Normandy 2.0 seems very fair….

I had hoped Normandy 2.0 would solve all the “peculiarities” that face the WWII community and become the one singular “go-to” map for WWII missions, but to be honest I’m a little disheartened to find that this entire map isn’t fully detailed.

I have 2 questions:

1) how low is low detail?  If I fly from one high detailed airbase to another high detailed base but pass through a low detailed area, how jarring will it be?

2) it appears Ugra Media has left the area covered by The Channel Map low detail as to avoid making the former obsolete.  I imagine “eventually” merging Normandy 2.0 with The Channel Map is something Eagle Dynamics would like to do.  Once merging the two maps becomes a reality, will there be an additional cost?

BBF51555-D02F-4723-A3EF-8F2418C5B56B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
11 minutes ago, Barrett_g said:

2) it appears Ugra Media has left the area covered by The Channel Map low detail as to avoid making the former obsolete.  I imagine “eventually” merging Normandy 2.0 with The Channel Map is something Eagle Dynamics would like to do.  Once merging the two maps becomes a reality, will there be an additional cost?

I mean if this new tech grows from here, the possibilities are endless, something like this would probably be important for an entire globe as well, being able to have chunks of high detailed that you wanted, etc. So while it would be nice to add the Channel chunk in there, I am not sure its possible or planned right now, we just need to see how this first step works and is handled by everyone and everything. 

• Like 5

64Sig.png