Normandy 2.0 FAQ

MAESTR0

The development screenshots look great! I know that there was some mention of improvements to the high fidelity areas from the old Normandy map, but I was wondering how the Normandy 2 low-fidelity areas compare to the Normandy 1 high-fidelity areas and to what we see on the Channel map? I see that photos of Dover and its Chain Home station were included, but these are outside of the area marked as high-fidelity for Normandy 2. Is this representative of what the "low-fidelity" areas are going to look like (if so, this is very impressive), or are there pockets of higher detail sprinkled throughout the low detail areas of the map?

vor 3 Stunden schrieb NineLine:

There is still a lot we are trying to figure out and how it will all end up, I have talked to Reflected and will continue to try and make sure we can transition him and all content creators over to the Normandy 2.0 easily and with the most compatibility. We are hearing all your concerns and trust me, they were all noted before the announcement on Friday. I will continue to follow up on all things here and let you guys know as soon as possible how things evolve. Try not to get too worked up though, the ultimate goal is a kick butt area to throw our Warbirds around in. 

Thanks @NineLine for giving this a good direction. Alternatively The Channel could be still serve a purpose as a free map including purchasable campaigns, when Normandy 2.0 is released and make WW2 more attractive for new players coming to DCS.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

What a sad and pitiful discussion … meanwhile legitimate questions that could be added to the FAQ will be lost amongst the many rantful posts 🙄

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

22 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

What a sad and pitiful discussion … meanwhile legitimate questions that could be added to the FAQ will be lost amongst the many rantful posts 🙄

Then I will ask the same legitimate question for the third time in hopes of an answer:

Will we get night lighting for London and Paris?

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

Well I want the option to turn it off or on.

This is the part the I think escapes the group developing this map.  "This is a daylight summer of 44 map".  I agree that a field needs to be static.  As a house.  But the seasons? The light? Please, give us some versatility.  $60 for a map that serves a single purpose in space and time is not a great offer, IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

5 hours ago, 71st_AH Rob said:

Hopefully not, at least not during 1939 - 1945.

You could start a campaign with a Nazi "sneak attack" in the early hours of 1st of September 1939  on Paris &/or London. Both France and The United Kingdom aren't at war yet so neither city is on a war footing. Beirut could be sitting in one of the ready rooms around London. Suddenly the alarm goes off-a moment later the young steward who serves Beirut and his chums Tea & scones and goes by the name of "Whitey Wipelordsass" 😝informs him that "Jerry" has bombers over the channel and they are tracking towards London.

Beirut "scarpers" in a "MANLEY" way to his Hurricane and rises "Heroically" into the air to "meet Jerry" and protect Queen & country. In the back of his mind he thinks "Lizey" " we will all always have Penzance" As his Hurricane "claws" it way over the skies of the great but unaware City of London  as the Lion films band plays on👍👌🥰. He thinks to himself ... "Lizey Even if Jerry shuffles me of this Mortal coil tonight..." He look eastward with grim trepidation... "Lizey know that you were my 1st, my only......"

Suddenly an Angel's voice "melodically" an "Dulcitly" sings, "We will always have Penzance, where you got into my pants laa-la-la-laaaa".

Now how can Beirut/ Or anyone not want night lighting to go along with this❓👍😍,

Me, I'll be at Rene's chatting up Mademoiselle LabonQ.

good morning moaning GIF

Edited by GUFA
grammar fix
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Nirvi said:

I rather have a bigger map with low detail zones than a smaller map with only high detail.

That statement takes it straight to the heart of the matter doesn't it? The player isn't using these maps excursively for WW2 scenarios as it is. As I've said over and over ED and the 3rd partie's have got to move away from period locking these maps, 🤙

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rosebud47 said:

Thanks @NineLine for giving this a good direction. Alternatively The Channel could be still serve a purpose as a free map including purchasable campaigns, when Normandy 2.0 is released and make WW2 more attractive for new players coming to DCS.

Nice of you to generously declare my work 'free' , bud 😄 Or that of the ED map developers for that matter.  Can't we use your salary from here on to buy the Channel map and campaigns for newcomers to DCS WW2? I'm sure it would be attractive for new players 🙂  (just kidding, I'm not offended, but things are not as simple as some may imagine)

The Channel map will still serve a purpose as one of the best looking maps in DCS at the moment, complete with winter textures too. I'm sure N2 will look awesome, I can't wait to see it, but I highly doubt it will be much better than the Channel.

IMO the best solution would be - if at all possible - is for ED to expand the Channel map toward the north and the east to make it more suitable for USAAF ops, thus making it even more relevant

• Like 11

On 10/10/2022 at 3:20 PM, NineLine said:

The reasons some missions may not be compatible is the fact that some current airbases are being improved and changed. Thats the simplest answer. But all this will come out in testing, and we can update as that happens.

So really they are compatible it just might be buggy. Just like any mission on Caucasus from 1.5 to 2.5 where the map received a assorted updates. The mission still loaded, thus compatible. However the place where you need to land your helicopter on some specific mission is now in the middle of a forest, thus buggy. 

The expectation for a mission file to simply load is the main barrier of entry with any sort of inconstancies that *can be corrected* within the editor are the far lesser concern. Frankly map differences from version to version impacting missions can be expected any time a map updates paid or not. 

• Like 2

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

2 hours ago, GUFA said:

Beirut "scarpers" in a "MANLEY" way to his Hurricane and rises "Heroically" into the air to "meet Jerry" and protect Queen & country.

Me, I'll be at Rene's chatting up Mademoiselle LabonQ.

good morning moaning GIF

That would be King and country back then Lizzie's daddy was in the highchair at the time.

Once you find out what they do with the whisk and the wet celery let us all know... 😉

• Like 2

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Grimes:

So really they are compatible it just might be buggy. Just like any mission on Caucasus from 1.5 to 2.5 where the map received a assorted updates. The mission still loaded, thus compatible. However the place where you need to land your helicopter on some specific mission is now in the middle of a forest, thus buggy. 

The expectation for a mission file to simply load is the main barrier of entry with any sort of inconstancies that *can be corrected* within the editor are the far lesser concern. Frankly map differences from version to version impacting missions can be expected any time a map updates paid or not. 

Yes if it's that and one would only have to adjust aircraft slot positions and airfield ground units, that's perfectly understandable and no big deal. From the wording of the FAQs it soundedblike the missions would be completely incompatible, maybe using a different coordinate system, which would be a more severe issue. 

I am still wondering about the claimed multiplayer compatibility though, if airfields change layout and mission devs adapt their unit placements, will then not people who only own Normandy 1 have the missions bugged? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alicatt said:

That would be King and country back then Lizzie's daddy was in the highchair at the time.

I tend of confuse (as someone From the farthest end of the Commonwealth) the Windsor  succession of the time through the Edward VIII Abdication / Wallis Simpson (crisis?). And remembering all that Wartime footage from British Pathe News reinforces that incorrect impression.

But any way "Long Live Elizabeth 2" You have my respect and admiration. You are my Only Sovereign, from now until I die.👍👍👍

Rest well I'll be joining you soon.👌

2 hours ago, Alicatt said:

Once you find out what they do with the whisk and the wet celery let us all know... 😉

"Listen, I can only say this once!"

Received a couple of yellow cards over the weekend😗🎵. So I could say something, but don't want to be "red carded"🥶.

Looks left then right for Herr Flic, breathes a sigh of relief

Edited by GUFA
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, NineLine said:

There is still a lot we are trying to figure out and how it will all end up, I have talked to Reflected and will continue to try and make sure we can transition him and all content creators over to the Normandy 2.0 easily and with the most compatibility. We are hearing all your concerns and trust me, they were all noted before the announcement on Friday. I will continue to follow up on all things here and let you guys know as soon as possible how things evolve. Try not to get too worked up though, the ultimate goal is a kick butt area to throw our Warbirds around in. 

Thank you for acknowledging our concerns are being seen and addressed.  Hopefully this might be the catalyst for DCS world to move from a jumble of random map areas to a TRUE DCS World.  ( over time of course ) 

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Perhaps minor, but it's land mass nonetheless:
I hope to find these islands modeled in Normandy 2, Isles Saint-Marcouf.
These islands are complete with their own noteworthy landmarks, a rubbled fortress and coastal battery from the Napoleon era.  Noteworthy to us, they became, technically, the first French territory that was liberated by the Allies, on 0430, June 6th.  The Germans had been on the island (though not at that particular time), evident by mines that had inflicted 19 casualties to the Americans, despite there being no German personnel on the island on June 6th.
Aside from that..it's also an island...two of them.  It would any other day stick out against the ocean like a sore thumb, especially considering how close it is to the coast.
As a landmark feature I'd be pretty happy to see it.
Those that fly on Normandy at all before will recognize this particular estuary in the photo as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Îles_Saint-Marcouf
FireShot Capture 013 - Google Maps - www.google.co.kr.png

Edited by Magic Zach
  • Like 1

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, RafaPolit said:

This is the part the I think escapes the group developing this map.  "This is a daylight summer of 44 map".  I agree that a field needs to be static.  As a house.  But the seasons? The light? Please, give us some versatility.  $60 for a map that serves a single purpose in space and time is not a great offer, IMHO.

You read that there would be no night lighting for London and Paris?

Now I have the sadz. 😟

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 hours ago, Night Owl said:

Yes if it's that and one would only have to adjust aircraft slot positions and airfield ground units, that's perfectly understandable and no big deal. From the wording of the FAQs it soundedblike the missions would be completely incompatible, maybe using a different coordinate system, which would be a more severe issue. 

I am still wondering about the claimed multiplayer compatibility though, if airfields change layout and mission devs adapt their unit placements, will then not people who only own Normandy 1 have the missions bugged? 

I assume that they will patch N1, so the high detail areas of N1 are identical to their N2 counterpart. I cant imagine they can achieve compatibility otherwise.

• Like 2

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Reflected:

Nice of you to generously declare my work 'free' , bud 😄 Or that of the ED map developers for that matter.  Can't we use your salary from here on to buy the Channel map and campaigns for newcomers to DCS WW2? I'm sure it would be attractive for new players 🙂  (just kidding, I'm not offended, but things are not as simple as some may imagine)

The Channel map will still serve a purpose as one of the best looking maps in DCS at the moment, complete with winter textures too. I'm sure N2 will look awesome, I can't wait to see it, but I highly doubt it will be much better than the Channel.

IMO the best solution would be - if at all possible - is for ED to expand the Channel map toward the north and the east to make it more suitable for USAAF ops, thus making it even more relevant

No, I didn´t. In contrary! Your campaigns and of other content creators would be still available to buy for The Channel only, if Normandy 2.0 would be merge together with The Channel and The Channel map would be made for free as a single map. 
The point is, that The Channel if being a free map for WW2 like Caucasus, could lower the barrier for new players to enter into a WW2 scenario. Same as for Caucasus, all campaigns made for The Channel so far still would have a selling point, as the map itself is for free.
On the other hand, if The Channel would still be sold as a single map and Normandy 2.0 includes The Channel, there would be no selling point anymore for the campaigns made for The Channel so far, as Normandy 2.0 and its campaigns is the way to go if to spend money for a WW2 map.

... but that´s only theoretical thinking.

My critique on the model of Normandy 2.0 we´re currently debating is more concerned with the concept of a whole world in DCS in mind. Personally I would love to see such concepts being created userfriendly and not turned into a cash cow from start.

The idea of having Normandy 2.0 as ´whole world´ scenario for WW2 is great, would love to see that coming true and expansion of that ´whole world´scenario in a reasonable and truely userfriendly manner.  

• Like 2

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

2 minutes ago, Rosebud47 said:

No, I didn´t. In contrary! Your campaigns and of other content creators would be still available to buy for The Channel only, if Normandy 2.0 would be merge together with The Channel and The Channel map would be made for free as a single map. 
The point is, that The Channel if being a free map for WW2 like Caucasus, could lower the barrier for new players to enter into a WW2 scenario. Same as for Caucasus, all campaigns made for The Channel so far still would have a selling point, as the map itself is for free.
On the other hand, if The Channel would still be sold as a single map and Normandy 2.0 includes The Channel, there would be no selling point anymore for the campaigns made for The Channel so far, as Normandy 2.0 and its campaigns is the way to go if to spend money for a WW2 map.

... but that´s only theoretical thinking.

My critique on the model of Normandy 2.0 we´re currently debating is more concerned with the concept of a whole world in DCS in mind. Personally I would love to see such concepts being created userfriendly and not turned into a cash cow from start.

The idea of having Normandy 2.0 as ´whole world´ scenario for WW2 is great, would love to see that coming true and expansion of that ´whole world´scenario in a reasonable and truely userfriendly manner.  

I see, I misunderstood, sorry.

As far as I understand from ED's posts it's not possible to link maps, and will not be in the foreseeable future. I may be wrong though.

• Like 1

I´m also not sure or better said: I have no idea how the new terrain creating tool works. But I could imagine that it is setup with that whole world concept in mind. At least the ground work and probably asstes of The Channel map could be useful to recreate it within Normandy 2.0.

• Like 1

My 2 cents;

1. Farnborough and Heathrow are irrelevant airfield choices; there are far better choices better relevant to the aircraft available in DCS. For example there are a slew of Advanced Landing Grounds based in the New Forest area west of the Solent that would be eminently suitable for the P-47; additionally RAF Thorney Island would make a prototypical home for fighter bomber Mosquitoes on the Normandy map. I have already provided information pertaining to these in these forums.

2. The lack of airfields that otherwise appear on the Channel map is disappointing; if ED are willing to share their development data for these airfields (Biggin, Detling, Manston etc) it opens up far more flexibility for mission makers who wish to make historically authentic missions to utilise both maps as appropriate to the mission target whilst keeping the player’s home base accurate - for example I might want to use 132 sqn based at Detling but attack a target that appears only on the Normandy. Previously I would have either had to use the channel map to have the correct home base but make the target in an inaccurate location or alternatively, use the Normandy map but use the wrong airfield to base the player at and have the target in it’s prototypical location. I was hoping this quandary would have been a thing if the past.

3. Since day 1 of Normandy 1 being announced many of us have been asking for the ability to remove/redact or otherwise have a version without the French allied ALGs; this would allow for the map to be prototypical for a far wider period than having them baked in. Is there any way that the locations could be left as grass field locations and for mission makers to load in templates to show the ALGs as required by mission date? 

4. If any detail is required on any airfield layout I am happy to assist, free of charge, and provide relevant documentation, maps etc to ED or Urga. Please PM me.

5. There are a few of the large Luftwaffe airfields in France that are often referenced in allied combat reports (Poix, Montdidier) that aren’t included but the tiny (and operationally almost irrelevant) Fecamp field is; what is the justification for this choice?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4