Next Gen VR Headsets.

chaos

Hmm, another show test.  He feels that the FOV is around 95?

I do not mind the cable connection myself.  I only flight sim from a chair.

I saw a discussion on reddit regarding this review and some wondered if he couldn't get a result because of deeper eye sockets.  

I will wait for IRL testing, not just a quick show on/off.

https://skarredghost.com/2022/10/26/shiftall-meganex-hands-on/

23 minutes ago, AngleOff66 said:

Hmm, another show test.  He feels that the FOV is around 95?

I do not mind the cable connection myself.  I only flight sim from a chair.

I saw a discussion on reddit regarding this review and some wondered if he couldn't get a result because of deeper eye sockets.  

I will wait for IRL testing, not just a quick show on/off.

https://skarredghost.com/2022/10/26/shiftall-meganex-hands-on/

The reported peripheral distortion is a bit of a letdown, but need to see more reports.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, AngleOff66 said:

I agree, we need to see more tests.

The latest reviewer mentioned the distortion became a bit better when he got his eye closer

Interesting how MRTV reported distortion only at the out edges of the lenses.   All I can think of is eye socket shape/depth?

Yeah image quality perception can vary among individuals.  The Varjo Aero for example, can exhibit significant color fringe unless IPD setting is perfect and the headset itself is in an optimal position.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

They cut the price to $1599 which is a good move.  No specific launch date though.

• Like 1

Pimax - those guys truly make me laugh...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

They cut the price to $1599 which is a good move.  No specific launch date though.

I’m intrigued…I like the interchangeable magnetic lenses…that’s a cool idea,I’ve been waiting on news of the 12k QLED but it seems that won’t be well into 2023. 
Thanks for posting the video

Edited by Phantom88

Patrick

mini.gif

Ya know, I love my 8KX.  Granted, I'd be very reluctant to ever recommend it to anyone I don't know.  Reason?  I've had it for what, a year and am still finding ways to use it, and tweak it.  What is depressing is being able to adjust it to a clarity that I have not seen on any other HMD that I've owned.  The letdown is that my 3090 cannot run it at those settings with every game I play.  The reason I still love it is that I can still find very acceptable settings that look, run great.

I suspect other 8KX owners know exactly what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

The interchangeable lens to get different FOV and PPD is interesting.  Wifi 6E is also a good move as it provides a lot of bandwidth.  Since it will be using DSC compression like the Aero I wonder if it will support AMD GPU.  According to a Varjo rep, NVIDIA pretty much owns the VR market right now so they’re not developing a driver for AMD GPU for their headsets.

I’m not sure the Crystal will be ready to ship by Jan though.  Forget about the 12K, my guess is late Spring or Summer.  If they’re smart they’ll want to use the Crystal to test the water for now since it shares a lot of tech with the other one and I’m not even sure that the rtx 4090 will provide enough juice to drive the 12K.

Edited by Supmua

22 hours ago, Slammin said:

Ya know, I love my 8KX.  Granted, I'd be very reluctant to ever recommend it to anyone I don't know.  Reason?  I've had it for what, a year and am still finding ways to use it, and tweak it.  What is depressing is being able to adjust it to a clarity that I have not seen on any other HMD that I've owned.  The letdown is that my 3090 cannot run it at those settings with every game I play.  The reason I still love it is that I can still find very acceptable settings that look, run great.

I suspect other 8KX owners know exactly what I'm talking about.

I think this gets to the core issue: Even if the Crystal is absolutely stunning in terms of lens and design quality, FOV, weight UX, etc. it still has 16.6 MILLION  pixels to render. (Same as 8KX as far as I understand) Beyond that there is upscaling for barrel distortion in many of these headsets that is done and lord knows, I get lost as to which headsets need that and to what degree (and it makes a big difference).

How frustrating would it be to get the world’s best designed headset only to then have to downscale it to circa 70% of its native resolution just to give it a passable performance at least in terms of FPS. 

None of that is to necessarily criticise Pimax, they’re on the bleeding edge of design and innovation, I would argue, well ahead of Meta despite that outfit’s bottomless Pitt of money.  My argument is that as DCS currently stands, specifically an essentially single core limited platform, We don’t seems to be able to run any of these potentially game-changing headsets. 

I’m also not rubbishing the devs at ED, they’re all over it in terms of providing the most fun you can ever have while sitting up. 

However, until we get to either the next several generations of CPU/GPU capacity and/or better EDGE design, I really think it’s all a bit of a moot point, certainly a potentially wasted investment. 

Edited by Willie Nelson

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I’m running an Aero at between 18 and 19 million pixels with DCS almost maxed out with a 3090 and a 10th gen i9 with all core OC at 4.7 GHz.

In MP (CPU bottleneck) I get between 30 and 45 fps.

Always on DCS Stable and not using OpenXR.

Not ideal but manageable.

I intend to get a 4090 and fully max out DCS except ‘Wake turbulence’ and maybe increase oversampling to more than 20 million pixels, or manage it to always assure 45 fps on the GPU side.

Edit - I also have 64 GB DDR4 RAM at 4000 MHz but almost never goes beyond 32 GB utilization.

Edited by Shrimp
Expanded description
  • Like 1

One of the great things about the Aero is the aspheric lenses that don’t need further compensation for barrel distortion but of course that comes with its own limitations too. Again, this is why I’m interested to see how Pimax attempts at combing both types of lenses go. 

Until we get to 15th Gen Intels and the 8090ti OC, we’re going to need to find some more efficient means of presenting pixels. Or we’re going to need multi-core and Vulkan.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

• 3 weeks later...