W.I.P Clouds

BIGNEWY

• 2 weeks later...

The lighting effects and tone mapping in 2.8 are a huge improvement, but the cloud shimmering in VR got a LOT worse on my end though...

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On 10/28/2022 at 7:46 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

The lighting effects and tone mapping in 2.8 are a huge improvement, but the cloud shimmering in VR got a LOT worse on my end though...

For me also the clouds are heavily aliased in VR on Standard, a bit better at Ultra (but still ugly aliased), but in Ultra the raindrops on the canopy tanks the performance to unaccetable levels.

To be honest I can't see ANY improvement on the quality of the clouds in VR. Sometimes I have a strange feeling that devs write a changelog about the high quality clouds in VR then wait for the placebo effect of the players... 🙄 Or someone made the build from an inappropriate source, I don't know. But the clouds are definitely not better in VR than it was before.

I have to correct myself before some community manager does it: NO ONE STATED IN THE CHANGELOG, THAT THE CLOUDS WILL BE BETTER IN VR!

Pardon for my ignorance. Exactly this was in the preliminary newsletter: "The Weather System includes optimization for VR, and we are confident that this will result in a more stable and smooth experience.[...]The rain effect has also been enhanced, and there have been fixes to rare volumetric clouds artifacts.".

So sorry folks for waiting a globally nicer clouds in VR...

Edited by St4rgun
  • Like 1
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

I'm not yet sold on the new clouds... i appreciate its baby steps with implementation but here hoping to get clouds that move along with random rain as currently i am finding that its either rain or no rain across the whole map. Is this due to use of static weather templates?  

I am sure I watched a Wags video where he said.. oh look, some rain ahead and you could see it, a rain cloud.

I haven't had a chance to try 2.8 yet and probably won't be able to do it till tomorrow, so I'll ask here: has the cloud layer up-down jitter glitch been fixed in that update?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

1 hour ago, Art-J said:

I haven't had a chance to try 2.8 yet and probably won't be able to do it till tomorrow, so I'll ask here: has the cloud layer up-down jitter glitch been fixed in that update?

In VR the close clouds are pretty nice even on Standard the others on the horizon and far away are still very low resolution and have heavy aliasing despite of MSAA 2x and nvidia transparent AA 8x. I hope a near future patch will solve that also.

Ultra clouds are not usable for me because even on my system in rain the fps tanks below 25 fps. And on Ultra the aliasing is still present.

• HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

^ Thanks for the feedback, although not on the subject I was asking about ;).

Finally played the sim a bit, so I can answer myself - the jitter is still alive and kicking (figuratively and literally). Oh well, maybe they'll fix it someday.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

19 hours ago, St4rgun said:

In VR the close clouds are pretty nice even on Standard the others on the horizon and far away are still very low resolution and have heavy aliasing despite of MSAA 2x and nvidia transparent AA 8x. I hope a near future patch will solve that also.

Ultra clouds are not usable for me because even on my system in rain the fps tanks below 25 fps. And on Ultra the aliasing is still present.

Try using Sparse Grid SSAA over the default SSAA in the nvidia control panel, you can access this via nvidia profile inspector - IMO this AA method looks and works alot better

https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases/download/2.3.0.13/nvidiaProfileInspector.zip

SGSSAA.jpg

Edited by Mustang
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Try using Sparse Grid SSAA over the default SSAA in the nvidia control panel, you can access this via nvidia profile inspector - IMO this AA method looks and works alot better

https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases/download/2.3.0.13/nvidiaProfileInspector.zip

SGSSAA.jpg

Hi Muzzy, sorry to ask what may be a silly question, but do these settings override the in game settings?

Cheers

Mizzy

14 minutes ago, Mizzy said:

Hi Muzzy, sorry to ask what may be a silly question, but do these settings override the in game settings?

Cheers

Mizzy

Heya, this will work alongside the MSAA setting in game, recommendation is to match the SGSSAA with the MSAA setting in DCS so - 2xMSAA in DCS you use 2x Sparse Grid to match, it really does work well (P.S you can still use the ingame SSAA too but keep an eye on performance)

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Mustang said:

Heya, this will work alongside the MSAA setting in game, recommendation is to match the SGSSAA with the MSAA setting in DCS so - 2xMSAA in DCS you use 2x Sparse Grid to match, it really does work well (P.S you can still use the ingame SSAA too but keep an eye on performance)

This is the single BEST suggestion I read here in the previous months! Really thanks, the quality of the visuals became MUCH better imho.

Actually the clouds are still heavily aliased as before and the environment looks a bit softer for me than with transparent SSAA 8x, but the HUD and the cockipt interiors are so clear that I could not believe it at first sight. It is such a huge leap for me as the switching from SteamVR to OpenXR was!

• Like 1

Dancing clouds still not fixed after last patch, probably another unfixable thing like heatblur from engines affecting hud. The clouds move mostly on base layer, and only on normal fov, when you zoom in problems dissapears. Heres a video how does it look like.

• Thanks 1

it is the same weather on a whole country because of the presets.
Overcast on the whole map...with holes every 10 nm. Not realistic, not very immersive.
That the clouds move is useless in mission, unless you wait 1 hour in flight that the sky clears or moves a few nm, or then games of several hours in multi to perceive the utility.
 it would have been better to work to have different patterns on a map
I think they made the wrong choices on how the clouds are generated.
Of course the simulation aspect of the game is very satisfying but on the graphics they were always late and with surprising choices.
And yet it's on the graphical aspect that they make the most communication...like a new halo, but still no effects on the pc and other light sources...

by being inspired by the best, we progress

Edited by Crouz
  • Like 2

Interesting.... my comments have been ommitted/deleted/somthing.

Thats ultra clouds, 1440 i9 Porcessor, 3080 GPU and 64Gb RAM - its got to be my settings as surely they should look better than this?

Desktop Screenshot 2022.11.04 - 11.20.28.87.png

On 10/30/2022 at 12:17 PM, Бойовий Сокіл said:

It even got worse in 2D. Whenever you move the camera you notice it. Was not the case before. And I feel like overall cloud quality and resolution got worse too.

I agree absolutely.  They may move but the quality has definitely got worse.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 10:16 AM, Mustang said:

SGSSAA.jpg

Hi so I am tinkering with the various AA settings trying to get my performance stable. I currently have MSAA 4x inside DCS and MFAA enabled in NVCP. Am I correct to understand that enabling SGSSAA inside the NPI overrides the NVCP MFAA? Or does it go on top off and should I disable MFAA inside NVCP?

Thanks

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

1 hour ago, Ready said:

Hi so I am tinkering with the various AA settings trying to get my performance stable. I currently have MSAA 4x inside DCS and MFAA enabled in NVCP. Am I correct to understand that enabling SGSSAA inside the NPI overrides the NVCP MFAA? Or does it go on top off and should I disable MFAA inside NVCP?

Thanks

About performance stable, SGSSAA take 15% more frametime for me, right now, for me, is a no no

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

• 3 weeks later...

Using only the ingame AA settings in VR most of the clouds are really nice and smooth even at STANDARD settings but there are some specific cloud types which are extremely aliased even at closer distances. This kind of cloud type can really ruin the visuals in VR, very distracting.

The simplest method to reproduce the aliasing is to open the F/A-18 AIM-120 training mission, which is in active pause mode at start in the Caucasus map. Just look around the cockpit and check out the clouds in VR. For me they are ugly aliased at STANDARD preset with MSAA 2x and MSAA 4X also. ULTRA preset looks really much better, but the impact to the framerate is high.

If only this issue can be eliminated then all the clouds would be much nicer. Please, PLEASE try to fix it already! It's killing the immersion.

In the current EDGE one can choose to:

1. Not use MSAA at all and set clouds to ULRA to get at least somehow playable framerates even in rain -> but it causes wild shimmering everywhere with nice clouds
  2. Use at least 2x MSAA to get rid of shimmering of everything and STANDARD clouds -> playable framerates but really ugly cloud aliasing with certain types of clouds, but not all of them
  3. Combine 2x MSAA to get rid of shimmering of everything with ULTRA clouds to eliminate clouds aliasing and get a nice slideshow in rain