Sidewinders missing.

Elf1606688794

Over and over and over my AIM-9P5's keep missing, sometimes they don't even track.

Yes, I'm getting good tones from the missiles before launch and I'm using the uncage function.

I'm not firing head on even though they are all aspect, I'm firing from the rear quarter of my targets.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here but I feel like a complete dipstick atm. lol

Don't shoot with a blue sky background.

The AIM-9P and P5 loves to transfer to the background radiation from the Big Bang and track that.

There are tons of other things it likes to transfer to as well. About the last thing it will reliably track is an afterburner plume. It actually performs better from the front aspect (P5 variant)

And enemy aircraft can cause an aspect break lock if they manage to reach the magic aspect number post launch. There is an aspect dead zone where the P5 won't track at all surrounding the 90 aspect area and its pretty wide.

The P is only reliable at less than 30 aspect.

Edited by =475FG= Dawger

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

I find them to be more reliable when I uncage (press and hold) pull enough lead to allow me to relax the stick back pressure before firing while still having some lead. My first shot appears to have been spoofed by the Migs flares. I don't hear well and usually cannot hear the growl or tone.

2 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

And enemy aircraft can cause an aspect break lock if they manage to reach the magic aspect number post launch. There is an aspect dead zone where the P5 won't track at all surrounding the 90 aspect area and its pretty wide.

The P is only reliable at less than 30 aspect.

What do you mean by this?

This is pretty typical of what I'm seeing, good lock and missiles miss even though I'm not pulling large quantities of G forces.

The .trk file is larger than 5mb....suggestions?

I got it, uploaded it to Dropbox. I just started using that recently and forgot I had it set up. 😉

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4rmgna0ntqtcq1g/AIM-9's missing.trk?dl=0

2 hours ago, Ironious said:

I find them to be more reliable when I uncage (press and hold) pull enough lead to allow me to relax the stick back pressure before firing while still having some lead. My first shot appears to have been spoofed by the Migs flares. I don't hear well and usually cannot hear the growl or tone.

I watched this from your link in Discord. Unfortunately it didn't help me figure out why I'm missing.

9 hours ago, Elf1606688794 said:

What do you mean by this?

You can fire an AIM-9P or P5 from within the proper rear hemisphere weapon employment zone, have it tracking to the target and the target can break the missile tracking by simply pulling enough to reach whatever artificial aspect limit has been programmed into the missile . No need to come out of afterburner or flare. This is unrealistic behavior post launch. Mig-29’s and Mig-19’s can easily do this. Mig-21’s can also do this but not as easily as a Fulcrum or Farmer. 

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg