Color Banding night sky and sea

ipertux

Hello
i have really bad color banding on sky and sea during night fly. I tried to play with gamma settings in game and with Color settings in Nvidia control panel, color depth is set to RGB 10 bpc, dynamic range set to Max and Gamma in game seto to 2. Any suggestion to mitigate this issue??Already tried with Reshade debanding and with different ICC color profile in windows 11.
Thanks in advice.
GTX 1660 Ti
MSi curve monitor 27" 165 hz 1080p

Banding issues 2.jpg

Banding issues 1.jpg

Game settings.jpg

@ipertux i am guessing this is caused by video driver. take note of your settings on this page. post a screen shot.

image.png

also see what you have here. these are mine. maybe all this needs to be reset to default.

GLOBAL SETTINGS page in NCP

image.png

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

3 hours ago, silverdevil said:

@ipertux i am guessing this is caused by video driver. take note of your settings on this page. post a screen shot.

image.png

also see what you have here. these are mine. maybe all this needs to be reset to default.

GLOBAL SETTINGS page in NCP

image.png

@silverdevil

Hello

thx for your answer

my nvida settings are the same of yours above  except for DSR set to off and i use nvidia color settings RGB 10 bpc full dynamic range (i tried with default color setting but still have the same issue) i'm on display port and already tried different cables and different versions (1.2 and 1.4).I recalibrated color monitor different times and tried different ICC profiles and of course HDR ON and HDR OFF ( with HDR off color are less washed out but i get the same banding).

Edited by ipertux

@ipertux have you updated nvidia drivers recently? sometimes when this is done the drivers get weird from additional features / settings. take note of what you have and do a reset to defaults. maybe even roll back.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Try removing your monitor profiles entirely and see if that changes things. I've seen some really bad results come out of stock monitor profiles and calibration attempts where weird things happened. If you could attach a copy of your profile that'd be interesting too.

Thank you

Really tried everything i already deleted my ICC profile and tried differents profiles but still have this color banding.I installed differents nvidia driver (everytime deleted using DDU in safe mode).

At this point i think is something with the monitor, i know it's a VA panel but i couldn't expect such a color banding.

Do you see the effect yourself on screenshots? (Do you see any banding in the menu screenshot you posted in the first post?) Could you include some screenshots for a side-by-side comparison with the monitor photos?

At that point I'd dig through monitor settings and try to run it as close to "ancient" technology as possible, i.e.

• 8 bit per component (try forcing wherever it's available, graphics driver and monitor settings)
  • no HDR
  • no "gaming features" like e.g. the "night vision mode" that MSI markets on some of its monitors; there also appear to be "gaming modes" that I'd disable, but then again I'm weird.
  • if the monitor has it, sRGB colour profile (will look washed out AF once you're used to wide gamut monitors)

Given the manual of the MSI G27C6:

• Gaming
    • Game Mode "User"
    • Night Vision off
    • Response Time "normal" or "fast" (I hope that doesn't fudge with colour rendition, but who knows)
    • MPRT off (whatever the hell that's supposed to be)
  • Professional
    • Pro Mode "User"
    • Eye Saver off (that will definitely do weird things with colour rendering)
    • HDCR off
    • Anti Motion Blur off
    • Image Enhancement off
    • Color Temperature to one of the presets to avoid having some weird effects from a custom white point

Edited by Laurreth

2 hours ago, ipertux said:

Thanks

Really tried everything and played with monitor settings as well to try to solve this issue.If i use the ICC profile that comes with monitor driver the issues is still there.

I really don't know what i'm doing wrong.

like @Laurreth mentioned 

Do you see the effect yourself on screenshots?

this is a good test. can you try another monitor?

Those screenshots are almost entirely black, it looks like you're running some crazy brightness boost on that monitor. That would of course introduce extreme banding since colour resolution in those narrow ranges is almost nonexistant.

The histogram of the first screenshot looks like this in ACR:
image.png

You can't really do much brightness boosting with that out of an 8bit source without having a horrible result.

Edited by Laurreth

1 hour ago, Laurreth said:

Those screenshots are almost entirely black, it looks like you're running some crazy brightness boost on that monitor. That would of course introduce extreme banding since colour resolution in those narrow ranges is almost nonexistant.

The histogram of the first screenshot looks like this in ACR:
image.png

You can't really do much brightness boosting with that out of an 8bit source without having a horrible result.

interesting. are you suggesting that a reset to defaults on the monitor may fix the issue?

But from my monitor it doesnt look so black that's why i've posted picture taken from my smartphone to show you what i see on the screen.If i look the screenshot from my laptop they looks so dark but not from my monitor and i still have this banding that ruin the experience.

27 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

interesting. are you suggesting that a reset to defaults on the monitor may fix the issue?

I'm suggesting that the monitor is set to 100% brightness or some feature like MSI's "Nightvision" that massively overbrightens dark parts and ruins the image.

Edited by Laurreth

i am intrigued by this issue. i am certain it is not "directly" a DCS issue. i read some posts about HDR. many mention a PC mode on the display itself. some also mention the windows settings. my display does not do HDR. did you check what you have on this page in NCP?

image.png

Edited by silverdevil