G2 pops out of VR mid-game?

dooom

Hey all,

I had my G2 surprise me a few times now where I'll be flying along in VR and all of a suddent the WMR menu will pop up (the app menu with the little house at the bottom that you get when you use the controller).

Obviously this sucks but when i clear it away i am placed into my WMR space (empty box, i dont use cliff house) and i can't get back into VR... i have to land by flying my jet through the desktop 2d render in the headset.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and is there a way to prevent this from happening?  My controllers are off and I dont use them...  What could be triggering the menue to pop up?  is it something with open composite?

Thanks.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

maybe... do you know how i would get back into VR when this happens?  i.e. if i am stuck looking at the desktop in vr of my session, is there any way to "Get back into" vr from there?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

No alas , but the windows key on its own should only bring up the wmr menu. there is no alt-tab equivalents that I know about

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I just tested in VR again... hitting the windows key while in a session does not reproduce what happened.  the menu does not come up.

i wonder if it heard a command in the background??  so weird.

The only other thing I can think of is a voice command? https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-speech-in-wmr  Try disabling speech recognition in wmr?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Is it preceded by a brief blue screen flash?

This is a frequent problem, usually caused by a number of factors. Could be a bad cable, could be USB suspend kicking in (turn this off!), could be the headset going to sleep (WMR settings, tell it never to sleep).

And I see you have an AMD system similar to mine - there have been known compatibility issues with AMD chipsets forever.

I get this now and again and still haven't been able to chase it down, I think it's a hardware issue with my headset itself (or the aforementioned AMD compatibility), but mine is always preceded by a blue screen in the headset.

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

i didnt notice any blue screen ... i'll watch for that.  i'll look into WMR sleep and USB suspend.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the same issue without the menu. Just blue screen in HMD and when it returns I am stuck in cliff house. DCS still flying on 2d monitor.

Of note I notice I get the windows USB disconnect sound and SRS loses contact with all my controllers. Selective suspend off globally and power management for each USB device disabled. Consequently I believe it is the AMD USB Disconnect issue.

Sadly AMD have declared the issue solved (it isn't) so there isn't much hope. If anyone finds a way to get back into the sim from Cliffhouse I'd be grateful.

i did not find a solution but i also have not had the issue for a long time now... it ... just stopped one day.

• 1 month later...

I have the G2 and, after initial problems setting it up I've been mostly fine (I had to get the "new" cable because the headset wasn't stable in "Device manager", the USB connection kept looping between detected and not). But... I got the F-14 a few months ago and it won't run in VR.

- I launch DCS with SteamVR using WMR

- Loads up the menu OK

- I select F-14 cold start in the Caucasus

- It loads up to the cockpit ready screen

- I select start and immediately I get a blue screen and the WMR window closes. The on screen view of the VR remains momentarily and then closes too.

- I'm left with the Steam library window with DCS stopped.

I've tried multiple times with the same result (The F-14 will load up in desktop mode but not WMR VR). Sometimes I get a message that WMR cannot detect my USB device (The G2), so that does suggest it has disconnected from "Device manager".

Recently I added the A-10 II and have a similar problem; it'll load up and I can get past the ready screen into the cockpit but after a few seconds I get the Blue screen/WMR window closes/Desktop repeat of VR screen closes.

I've tried my other modules (I used to fly only the F/A-18, bought the Apache a while ago and have also just got the UH-1) - all these load into WMR VR without this issue.

[Also note I'm running an AMD 5600X in an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING, 32GB RAM, with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070].

It doesn't make sense to me that AMD are responsible, and that WMR, SteamVR, the G2 and Windows 10 are also common factors where some modules work and others don't. It's got to be something different in the individual aircraft coding that doesn't like something in the system that works for other aircraft. But then, although 3rd party Heatblur developed the F-14A/B the A-10 II is by ED themselves, so the coding should be good.

I'm guessing other non-Intel setups can run these aircraft on a G2? I'll have to look at other factors in my setup.

AMD 5600X in an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING, 32GB RAM, with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070. HP Reverb G2

F/A-18C  -  F-14A/B  -  AV-8B  -  A-10C II  -  AH-64D  -  UH-1H  -  Spitfire LF Mk IX  -  Mosquito FB VI

9 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I have the G2 and, after initial problems setting it up I've been mostly fine (I had to get the "new" cable because the headset wasn't stable in "Device manager", the USB connection kept looping between detected and not). But... I got the F-14 a few months ago and it won't run in VR.

- I launch DCS with SteamVR using WMR

- Loads up the menu OK

- I select F-14 cold start in the Caucasus

- It loads up to the cockpit ready screen

- I select start and immediately I get a blue screen and the WMR window closes. The on screen view of the VR remains momentarily and then closes too.

- I'm left with the Steam library window with DCS stopped.

I've tried multiple times with the same result (The F-14 will load up in desktop mode but not WMR VR). Sometimes I get a message that WMR cannot detect my USB device (The G2), so that does suggest it has disconnected from "Device manager".

Recently I added the A-10 II and have a similar problem; it'll load up and I can get past the ready screen into the cockpit but after a few seconds I get the Blue screen/WMR window closes/Desktop repeat of VR screen closes.

I've tried my other modules (I used to fly only the F/A-18, bought the Apache a while ago and have also just got the UH-1) - all these load into WMR VR without this issue.

[Also note I'm running an AMD 5600X in an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING, 32GB RAM, with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070].

It doesn't make sense to me that AMD are responsible, and that WMR, SteamVR, the G2 and Windows 10 are also common factors where some modules work and others don't. It's got to be something different in the individual aircraft coding that doesn't like something in the system that works for other aircraft. But then, although 3rd party Heatblur developed the F-14A/B the A-10 II is by ED themselves, so the coding should be good.

I'm guessing other non-Intel setups can run these aircraft on a G2? I'll have to look at other factors in my setup.

Check HAGS is off, in the past I've tested with it on (coincidentally with 3600/3070) and found that HAGS world cause steamvr to blue screen the G2.

Also worth trying openxr, it's lighter on VRAM load which will help with the 3070 quite a bit.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Thanks for the suggestion @edmuss

I've checked and Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling ("HAGS") is OFF.

And referring to above posts I've just disabled the Power Management "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset G2 in Device Manager

I've also done this for:

2x Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub

5x Generic USB Hub

3x USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

...and I've disabled "Selective Suspend" for USB Settings in Control Panel/System and Security/Power Options/Edit Plan Settings.

Finally I've opened WMR settings and set "Sleep Time-out" to Never.

Tried the above settings but the results are intermittent. At first nothing ran in VR, including the F/A-18 I've been playing since I began DCS, But gradually I was able to load everything (including the A-10C II) but still NOT the F-14A/B. I also had a couple of messages saying SteamVR couldn't see the G2 headset, which I fixed by unplugging and re-plugging the unit.

Looking at Device Manager, even when the WMR stops and seconds later the VR window gives up and dumps me back at Steam, I can see that the G2 headset is still seen. It has NOT disconnected after all.

I'll continue looking at this tomorrow - I found a bunch of "USB Input Devices" under Device Manager/Human Interface Devices that still have Power Management set to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", so I'll try them. Also I'll flush the caches and let them rebuild. Might then step back from open Betas of SteamVR, WMR and DCS.

Edited by Cutter

AMD 5600X in an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING, 32GB RAM, with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070. HP Reverb G2

F/A-18C  -  F-14A/B  -  AV-8B  -  A-10C II  -  AH-64D  -  UH-1H  -  Spitfire LF Mk IX  -  Mosquito FB VI

Just a wild card, try and set your pagefile between 32 and 64gb

Thanks for the suggestion @speed-of-heat

My current pagefile (System managed) was 10752 MB (10.5 GB)

I've changed it to Custom size:

Initial size: 32768 MB (32 GB)

Maximum size: 65536 MB (64 GB)

and I'll give that ago...

Alas, the pagefile change didn't work.

I then turned off power management for the other USB devices in the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Looked at what changes happens in Device Manager when WMR is ON or OFF. These are the only changes I could find:

Audio section - WMR off    WMR off - audio.PNG

Audio section: WMR on    WMR on - audio.PNG

Monitor section - WMR off    WMR off - controllers to monitors.PNG

Monitor section - WMR off    WMR on - controllers to monitors.PNG

Edited by Cutter

the monitors you can fix by making sure create virtual displays is unselected 

null

image.png

but it shouldnt cause the issue you are having

• Like 1

Thanks @speed-of-heatI'll try it anyway. I'm going to knock off for tonight, but I'll just list the other things I've tried - including brief success:

I then disabled the old Oculus devices as they're not used currently, including in "Sound, video and game controllers" (this removed the devices from the "Audio" section); No joy.

Next I removed all my gaming peripherals except the G2, to see if there was a driver conflict (I set up a keyboard shortcut to re-centre the VR). 

Same result, so I moved on to rolling back WMR from "open beta" to "None" - and it loaded OK. I was able to sit in the F-14 cockpit for the first time!

Alas it was short-lived; after several minutes I looked down left and it blue screened in the G2. The area in my room I was looking at is pretty dark, so the G2 sensors might have been unhappy. Being scientific about it I changed WMR back to open beta but again it closed WMR before the cockpit ready screen. Same with the "LNG_beta". So I went back to no beta and it still wouldn't load - so that was disappointing.

Enough for now!

USB powered Hubs with individual on/off switches per port are a wonderful thing.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 10/18/2022 at 5:13 AM, dooom said:

Hey all,

I had my G2 surprise me a few times now where I'll be flying along in VR and all of a suddent the WMR menu will pop up (the app menu with the little house at the bottom that you get when you use the controller).

Most likely you have enabled the voice recognition and some strange functions will be activated by ambian noice or you are talking to yourself, I have same experience 🤣

You can just say "close" to close that pop up or disable the voice recognition to prevent it from happening, hope this can help.

Edited by vr2viv

I was having this issue, especially with the Apache in Syria. I did several things at once to fix it so I can't say which one actually fixed it.
I upgraded from 32 to 64 GB RAM. I noticed in task manager that nearly all of my RAM was being utilized.
I replaced the G2 cable. This was a coincidence. While waiting for my RAM the headset stopped working and HP sent me a new one. This could account for the USB dropout.
I went into my BIOS settings and locked it down to PCI Gen 3.

DCS has crashed a couple of times since, but I no longer get the headset restarting issue.

• 3 weeks later...

My son, who's (at least) a next level IT professional compared to me, appears to have solved this issue for me. He did some research and found the solution on another forum, that I see has been noted above by @StiC:

TLDR: Went in to BIOS and switched from PCI-E 4 down to 3.

Longer version - I think the bandwidth management of the B550 chipset (or maybe its implementation in this ASUS board) is causing the issue. I know that the manual says you can't use certain combinations of PCI-E slot and also use both SSD slots without degrading the potential bandwidth of something. It's probably the nature of the cheaper chipset that it has to divide up a reduced performance across the demands of whatever you plug into the board. By reducing the GPU's PCI-E slot bandwidth requirement it frees up room for other components.

My son found the solution by looking at the Windows and DCS logs and noting the failure codes, then researching them to see what they mean't. There were also a number of "textures not found" errors preceding the crash, which I don't fully understand as that seems like a memory issue. But, confusion aside, it seems the PCI-E bandwidth limit has solved this for me.

I've no idea why VR worked fine for me for so long and then broke so recently.

• Like 1