Mini keyboard for data entry

Hi, I was wondering if you could use a mini keyboard instead of the in cockpit data entry unit , to compliment my MPCD’S and screens? 
They are not expensive…

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Keep in mind, Windows won't differentiate between your main keyboard and the mini keyboard, so you can't bind a function to one and not the other. 

For example, you can't bind the KU "I" button just to the mini keyboard and still expect to press the "I" button on the main keyboard to show/hide the IHADSS.  Or the numbers "1" & "2" for data entry on the mini keyboard, and still be able to switch seats with "1" & "2" on the main keyboard.

One workaround is to use a modifier button on your cyclic that you can press and hold with your right hand, while typing on your little keyboard with your left hand, then go back and bind all the KU functions to your keyboard with the modifier pressed.

• Like 2

OK, so the 2 keyboards won’t show as 2 separate devices? Like 2 joysticks? I guess working out a modifier would be fairly easy….

thanks all!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

17 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

OK, so the 2 keyboards won’t show as 2 separate devices? Like 2 joysticks? I guess working out a modifier would be fairly easy….

thanks all!

Hi Mark! 10 keyboards will work as one. 

BUT! There exists trickery etc. like Autohotkey and some other software, but I could never get it to work in DCS. I've even tried software that can change your keyboard to send DX presses. I was semi successful with that. 

What I have opted for, are the cheapest Razer macro keyboards, with individual key lighting. They do work. So if you can find a mini keyboard with programmable macro functionality, you might be in luck. 

Cheers! 

Would it be a problem in DCS, if I simply deleted the keyboard bindings? I mean clear all the keyboard control bindings…….For example, you used the IHADDS binding as an example, as long as the function is bound to a button, it does not need a key bind on the keyboard does it? 

• Like 1

OK, so went through the bindings for the keyboard, deleted any that corresponded to required keys on the KU and then programmmed these3 keys in the KU section to the equivilants on the keyboard. Job done, I can now plug in a mini keyboard and use it physically like a KU unit, without any conflicts.

Thanks for the help and suggestions along the way!! 

Edited by markturner1960