DCS: Normandy 2.0 preview

MAESTR0

3 hours ago, Doughguy said:

This level of detail is certainly nice, but dcs is a flight sim.... not a FPS...

2 hours ago, draconus said:

Don't forget about Combined Arms.

1 hour ago, RafaPolit said:

And hellictopters.

Learn To Read.jpg

On 11/4/2022 at 3:24 AM, DD_Fenrir said:

What would be better going forward for ED is to make every asset in a map, be it texture, tree, or building model contain a metadata field of what dates it should appear

No I think the opposite works better, DCS Builds the Land-form + air & water interactions. The 3rd Party then builds the unique features as a layer over the Map "Blank".

• Like 3

Just pointing out that DCS intentions are to include the other Domains as well
ED intentions actually has not confirm nothing. And that require open complete branches into DCS, as build someday a naval module. A complete dedicated teams with need build on the core first squeleton pieces to start something.

Enviado desde mi RNE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Silver_Dragon said:

ED intentions actually has not confirm nothing. And that require open complete branches into DCS, as build someday a naval module. A complete dedicated teams with need build on the core first squeleton pieces to start something.

Why make Combined Arms & Supercarrier then? Aren't these modules TACIT signals from DCS to the community? I'm not saying DCS is headed into 1st person shooter territory just that land & sea have always been intended to play a role😃

• Like 1

Why make Combined Arms & Supercarrier then? Aren't these modules TACIT signals from DCS to the community? I'm not saying DCS is headed into 1st person shooter territory just that land & sea have always been intended to play a role
First: CA coming from previous 2010 JTAC military UK Army trainer, approved to release with some changes as CA entertainment module. That never was planned or designed as a realistic vehicle /tank / FPS module, and never was the required DLLs to a 3rd party or a mod team build anithing as a module or Mod into DCS Word. ED has confirmed from some 5-7 years ago, they don't have a dedicated ground environment /realistic module team (talked on a previous post). On a old Wags interview, ED team confirmed they don't any plans to build a FPS, only if a private / military approach them to build some of them. All guond environment missions realistic phisics, armor, sensors, weapons and other etc to making them.

Second: Supercarrier module has centered only on aeronaval operations, include the landing officer \ CAG \ Briefing room and carrier crew, with on a future can help to implement control towers \ Briefing rooms and base crews on land bases or Farms. And that has a API on develop, with can help 3rd parties to build oun propper carrier functionality. The same situation with builds some similar to a FPS.

None of them has centered on build DLLs to making ships or subs modules, missing all necesary tools to build CICs, bridges, sensores or weapons operator posts. Other has realistic sonar and naval radar, ESM, ECM, ECCM, jammer and decoys, and a long etc, as propper damages as armour fires and flooding, etc.

That is the actual situation on some DCS environments

5 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

CA entertainment module. That never was planned or designed as a realistic vehicle /tank / FPS module,

Point out to me where I have ever said DCS world is developing FF Land or Sea modules. All I have said is that land & sea is playing a part.

5 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

None of them has centered on build DLLs to making ships or subs modules, missing all necesary tools to build CICs, bridges, sensores or weapons operator posts. Other has realistic sonar and naval radar, ESM, ECM, ECCM, jammer and decoys, and a long etc, as propper damages as armour fires and flooding, etc.

I don't think doing FF warship modules is ever going to be practical. I think pulling 200+ players to man a FF warship module is an impossibility, let alone 3500+ for a CVN. I think the point is that DCS World is a game that could possibly bridge between Simulator & Strategy Genres. With Air being the Simulator part & Land/Sea the strategy part🤨

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GUFA said:
I don't think doing FF warship modules is ever going to be practical. I think pulling 200+ players to man a FF warship module is an impossibility, let alone 3500+ for a CVN. I think the point is that DCS World is a game that could possibly bridge between Simulator & Strategy Genres. With Air being the Simulator part & Land/Sea the strategy part

Actually, the Land and sea has only stubs. CA has 5% necessary to the land environment and supercarrier has a 0 on the naval environment... You not need 200 players on a ship... you have very interesting simulatos as "Silent Hunter / Dangerous Waters" with recreate very well the ship funtionality. The main problem, missing them in the core to build them.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Salut les aviateurs!
Mesdames et Messieurs, today we are walking around Paris.

In Paris, more than 20 original objects have been recreated on the Normandy 2 map, including: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Louvre, Notre Dame de Paris, as well as the main railway stations, the hippodrome, and the underground metro. We tried to do everything so that DCS users could plunge into the atmosphere of the world's cultural capital.

Notre-Dame de Paris

1 Notre_Dame_de_Paris.jpg

Hotel des Invalides

2 Hotel_des_Invalides.jpg

Palais du Luxembourg

3 Palais_du_Luxembourg.jpg

Pont Alexandre III

4 Pont_Alexandre_III.jpg

Gare-Saint-Lazare

5 Gare-Saint-Lazare.jpg

Paris Gare du Nord

6 Paris_Gare_du_Nord.jpg

@Magic Zach  @Fred901 @DD_Fenrir and everyone who cares about airfields. Thank you! We have added 5 airfields (Orly, Deadland, Friston, Poix, Triqueville)  and they will be in early access. 

We will add 5 and continue this work so that the total number of airfields will be more than on the Syria map.
Today we publish screenshots of two of them. Thanks for the support!

Orly (original airfield)
Orly.jpg

Friston (regular airfield)

Friston.jpg

Edited by MAESTR0
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Okay.. so i´m starting to turn towards the "this will be a really cool map" direction. 😄

• Like 2

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

The videos on Paris are awesome. Some folks say nonetheless that grass is still a bit on the way too lighter side of phosphorescent green 😅 .

• Like 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The city of Paris and its monuments are very well done! Congratulations ! I worked for a year in Paris and visited all these buildings and I can say that you did a good job!
For Paris-Orly it is well done. For Friston it's not quite that. Friston was an ELG (Emergency Landing Ground) so no hangar and no fence around the airfield, just temporary facilities (tents, wooden barracks) and two Over Blister Hangar for aircraft maintenance.

RAF Friston:

0hni.jpg

In red, Blister Hangar

rg3o.jpg

Edited by Fred901
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reflected said:

Fantastic job on the city, this map is going to be great. 

however, I really hoped Normandy 2 would address the problem of Normandy 1 having really bright green landscape textures, but those screenshots look the same to me. 

yeh i agree its too cartoonish greens need to be deeper not iridescent.

bee great for your campaings mate 🙂 love em all 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 7800x3D with AIO, RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz HP Reverb G2 & Pico4 Windows 11 Pro

Regarding RAF Thorney Island:

This shows the hangar locations:

65F8EEC4-E110-49D5-B705-D4C465FE5A3D.jpeg

And one of the few pictures I can find of the hangars:

D514E7F0-53B1-4B55-9B73-B4D51E1D05C0.jpeg

These are C type hangars; the hangar type generally measured 300 feet (91 m) in length, with a width of 152 feet 5 inches (46.46 m), and a clear height of 35 feet 4 inches (10.77 m). They came in a few variants but the ones at Thorney Island seem to be a 1938 arrangement. Similar models can be seen at Scampton and Northolt:

836D2618-D811-4DC5-8511-C33F886F009F.jpeg

7BA8F1E7-BEA9-4803-B7FC-5859FC4BE671.jpeg

596C185C-AA72-4631-A948-9D63F49B3E94.jpeg

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MAESTR0 said:

Salut les aviateurs!
Mesdames et Messieurs, today we are walking around Paris.

In Paris, more than 20 original objects have been recreated on the Normandy 2 map, including: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Louvre, Notre Dame de Paris, as well as the main railway stations, the hippodrome, and the underground metro. We tried to do everything so that DCS users could plunge into the atmosphere of the world's cultural capital.

Notre-Dame de Paris

1 Notre_Dame_de_Paris.jpg

Hotel des Invalides

2 Hotel_des_Invalides.jpg

Palais du Luxembourg

3 Palais_du_Luxembourg.jpg

Pont Alexandre III

4 Pont_Alexandre_III.jpg

Gare-Saint-Lazare

5 Gare-Saint-Lazare.jpg

Paris Gare du Nord

6 Paris_Gare_du_Nord.jpg

@Magic Zach  @Fred901 @DD_Fenrir and everyone who cares about airfields. Thank you! We have added 5 airfields (Orly, Deadland, Friston, Poix, Triqueville)  and they will be in early access. 

We will add 5 and continue this work so that the total number of airfields will be more than on the Syria map.
Today we publish screenshots of two of them. Thanks for the support!

Orly (original airfield)
Orly.jpg

Friston (regular airfield)

Friston.jpg

I'm so, SO glad you guys are responding so well to feedback!  This is truly looking like it's going to be perhaps the BEST map in DCS!

• Like 2

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

1 hour ago, Barrett_g said:

Another vote for toning down the green here… it needs to be a darker, maybe browner green.

i agree. one thing is the base colour, which many have pointed out is a bit on the bright green side. i don't think it needs much, just a tiny little bit less green to mute it a little bit.
the other thing is that the grass is very uniform, like a well maintained english garden. it would maybe help to have some rough patches mixed in. either brownish dirt areas, or at least some areas of less healthy grass (a dryer look.. again more yellow/brown i guess)...

i think another important aspect to the uniformity is a lack of paths and dirt areas that are suitable for placing assets like fortifications (bunkers, radars etc). it looks very bad to place -for example- a german radar site on perfectly green grass, or a freshly plowed farmland. it needs some patches of roughed up earth, some dirt path or similar to make those scenes more believable. this was a big problem in normandy 1.0 so i hope that this can be improved for 2.0...
(the god old caucassus map does this quite well actually. despite it's age and general lack of detail, it has random brown patches and dirt paths as part of the grass textures. far, far from perfect, but it helps a bit when placing units in the open...

• Like 3

On 11/5/2022 at 9:11 AM, draconus said:

First thing on my mind but it's WW2, so not a real target map for rotor heads.

This is exactly my complaint about the "scope" and "versatility" of the map. If all helicopters are "out of the equation" of the map usefulness, it's not a versatile map.  I agree there were none during WWII.  But then it wouldn't make sense to fly a modern jet over it either?

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.