DCS: Normandy 2.0 preview

MAESTR0

1 hour ago, RafaPolit said:

This is exactly my complaint about the "scope" and "versatility" of the map. If all helicopters are "out of the equation" of the map usefulness, it's not a versatile map. 

Helicopters are only out of the equation if you decide they are out of the equation. I think it will be great for choppers, just like the Channel map. 

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

7 hours ago, RafaPolit said:

I agree there were none during WWII.  But then it wouldn't make sense to fly a modern jet over it either?

Yes, if you prefer to stay within realism but nothing stops you from just flying on the map in any aircraft or making fictional scenarios.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 11/5/2022 at 8:19 PM, MAESTR0 said:

Friston.jpg

I don't know if this is allowed, but please devs check how the grass is not always greener on other side of the fence:

VFRNOMSFS_13.jpg

And i'm only comparing the colors here. Normandy 2.0 looks awesome already but color palette is too bright currently.

Edited by DB 605
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 11/5/2022 at 1:19 PM, MAESTR0 said:

@MAESTR0, I "hinted" at this before, but with this new footage and the following pictures posted above:

paris_aerial03_1944.jpg

it's clear that the proportions / size of the Eiffel Tower are WRONG.  At least on the top section.   

This is a true ICON of the world, not only of Paris.  This is, perhaps, the single most iconic building ever to have been portrayed in the entire DCS map collection.  It's probably also the easiest to have documentation on its size and proportions.

Could you guys please review the 3D model for the tower?  It's very clearly WRONG. 😞

Thanks.

Edited by RafaPolit
  • Like 2

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

On 10/31/2022 at 8:51 AM, imacken said:

@MAESTR0 Good to see you are active on this thread. Can I ask if the kneeboard folder will work on this map? Also, can I ask what happened to the promised October update of Syria to fix that issue there and why you are no longer answering any of my messages?  Thanks.

@MAESTR0 Bumping this. Please include kneeboard folder for both Syria and Normandy 2. Thanks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RafaPolit said:

It's very clearly WRONG.

It's not that bad but only devs know exactly. The object placed at the edge of a big fov image is always distorted.

eiffel.jpg

Here's better comparison. The one on the left is taken from this video:

Not the exact same angle but it looks a bit different. My guess - WIP.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

It's not that bad but only devs know exactly. The object placed at the edge of a big fov image is always distorted.

eiffel.jpg

Here's better comparison. The one on the left is taken from this video:

Not the exact same angle but it looks a bit different. My guess - WIP.

My point exactly. It IS pretty bad.  The top part makes it look like a squashed hat.  The proportions of the top element are COMPLETELY wrong, of a VERY iconic monument that we all know and recognize.  The finishing of the building gives it class and a natural "termination". The proportions on the top landing floor make it look like it is unfinished or that the finishing section was not thought of.

The thing is, this is a very documented building:
978733a2acf9d0e0e38fb039b6706bb0--torres

Eiffel_Tower_plans_07.jpg

Aside from other thoughts, isn't Eiffel tower image copyrighted? In Nevada they couldn't copy exactly the buildings and names there, do we know they can just fully copy Eiffel tower (along with many other things now on this map) straight without any hassles? 🤔

I mean, even as it is and how we've seen it in screenshots, it's pretty much the thing, it's pretty recognizable, and nobody (ahem 🙄) will pay attention to some screw or bolt outplaced. Just wondering, can they fully copy it to start with?

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

@Ala13_ManOWar that was my first thought too. Did some quick googlin around. Apparently daytime depiction of the tower in commercial applications like photos has not been limited since 1993, but night time depiction is still copyrighted and will remain so probably into 2050s. Bu then, DCS tower will not be lit up at night, so we should be OK ;).

We don't know where the video games fall into these regulations, however.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Well, a game is definitely "commercial use", but since it's only night time now what is limited they could do it all the way I guess. So now, where's my Eiffel tower screws and bolts? 🤣🤣

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

3 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

... it's pretty much the thing, it's pretty recognizable, and nobody (ahem 🙄) will pay attention to some screw or bolt outplaced.

I'm not nitpicking about a bolt, I'm talking about the entire topping feature of the tower.  I'm sure that if the Statue of Liberty was depicted without head, or missing the raised arm, you would agree that it was not the greatest depiction, right?

I believe what is important to some is not so much for others.  I have heard from ED this exact reasoning: we are modeling the F-16c after the block 50 model as flown by the USAF circa 2007.  So if they are so adamant of a specific plane of a particular model for a particular brand of the government flown in a particular year... and we are getting Normandy during summer of 1994 that is tailored specifically for operation Neptune... heck, I think I'm entitled to ask that the most recognizable building IN THE WORLD has the right proportions it has had for the best part of the last 130 years!!!!

• Like 1

I'm going to expand a bit further: I have been even insulted in the 4YA forums for even suggesting the addition of MW50 on the Bf-109 because it is not "historically accurate".  I have been "harassed" (to put it mildly) by ED and others in this community for asking for a unitary broach JSOW for the F-16 because the USAF block 50 circa 2007 didn't carry it and it would be "historically inaccurate".   

So if I'm going to take <profanity> from everyone because this games pursues historically accuracy above anything else, let's have historically accurate buildings.  Right?  If not, let's just relax on everything else as well and allow me to use MW50 in Dday missions and to bloody well be able to take down a tank with a JSON on the most versatile modern fighter we have.

But to demand PERFECT accuracy from everything and then say: "hey, it's OK as long as it looks the part"... common! 😞

6 minutes ago, RafaPolit said:

I'm not nitpicking about a bolt, I'm talking about the entire topping feature of the tower.  I'm sure that if the Statue of Liberty was depicted without head, or missing the raised arm, you would agree that it was not the greatest depiction, right?

I believe what is important to some is not so much for others.  I have heard from ED this exact reasoning: we are modeling the F-16c after the block 50 model as flown by the USAF circa 2007.  So if they are so adamant of a specific plane of a particular model for a particular brand of the government flown in a particular year... and we are getting Normandy during summer of 1994 that is tailored specifically for operation Neptune... heck, I think I'm entitled to ask that the most recognizable building IN THE WORLD has the right proportions it has had for the best part of the last 130 years!!!!

Yeah, yeah, I get it, still… this is a mostly combat flight sim not a tourist sightseeing app, and I say that from a standpoint where I use it just to fly for fun so many times (most of the time lately). Yes, it would be nice to have it correctly modelled, honestly though, I highly doubt most of us (out of Parisian French fellow members who really could care) and I mean most like 99% of us would care or even notice a few misplaced details. I'm not at a model makers' debate here (way worst than your "nitpickity" about a few details, believe me), but yes, I clearly see the deviation from the original one (I noticed the first time I saw it BTW), it's just sadly I don't think most people will even care about it.

Hope Ugra makes it a bit better, not only this but many details people have already pointed out, but if they finally don't for whatever reason, it's not the end of the World, just that.

The debate about whether Eiffel tower is the most recognizable pile of iron monument in the World or maybe any other out there (just one or two, you know), well, let's leave it for another time 😅 😉 .

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RafaPolit said:

I'm going to expand a bit further: I have been even insulted in the 4YA forums for even suggesting the addition of MW50 on the Bf-109 because it is not "historically accurate".  I have been "harassed" (to put it mildly) by ED and others in this community for asking for a unitary broach JSOW for the F-16 because the USAF block 50 circa 2007 didn't carry it and it would be "historically inaccurate".

It´s just one of those things.. It´s fun to have historically accurate loadouts, planes and ground stuff.. but the selection of everything is so all over the place, that it´s near impossible to create a historically accurate scenario to play with them. So on the other hand wohoo! accuracy! On the other hand, everything is a constant compromise.

Reflecting on that.. unless you are on a personal vendetta, i guess as long as the tower and other important landmarks are clearly recognizable, that´s good enough. If we ever want to get to play the actual map and not have Ugra tweaking minor details until the end of time. 😄

• Like 3

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

Who owns the Eiffel Tower?  As in, who would sue Ugra media for the inclusion on the Eiffel Tower?

If licensing rights are what’s keeping Ugra from making a realistic rendering of the Eiffel Tower, I hope they at least make it easy for an end user to create a mod that replaces their “less than desirable” model with a realistic model that can:

1) be easily obtainable in the user files section.

2) pass online server checks 

• Like 1

Hi, pilots

Flora. We have updated the main types of trees.
Fields and trees of England: 
In England, the trees are oak (lat. Quércus), pyramidal poplar (lat. Pópulus nígra), ash (lat. Fraxinus)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

and this is our habitat 😄 

6.jpg

Fields and trees of France:
For France trees - birch (lat. Bétula), maple (lat. Ácer) , beech (lat. Fágus)

FR_01.jpg

FR_02.jpg

FR_03.jpg

FR_04.jpg

FR_05.jpg

FR_06.jpg

Video recorded on PC: i7 7700K, 32Gb RAM, 3060 8Gb

Edited by MAESTR0
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

I don't want to take focus away from the great work that's been done, but I hope that addressing the "pea soup" green is high up on the list of priorities for the map expansion. If this is not looked at it will unfortunately mar what other progress ends up being made.

Looking at the Barthek Normandy texture replacement mod may be a good starting point.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Great looking tree, but everything still looks very bright 

It is hard to tell from early state "Work In Progress" photos of the Normandy 2 map but it does look like some of the saturation has been reduced if compared to the Normandy 1.

@MAESTR0 and the rest of the dev team may have already had a good look at Bartheks GMT: Normandy mod and hopefully can incorporate some of the improvements going forward. 

•  I can't use the currently Normandy map without this mod!. 

• Like 4
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]