DCS: Normandy 2.0 preview

MAESTR0

39 minutes ago, Marez said:

I am going to buy this map for sure, but I still don't like the colors and the contrast of the textures. It looks cartoonish. In my opinion the colors should be less saturated and increase the contrast. It should look like this image.

img1.jpg

I hope this isn't the go to saturation / contrast the dev is going for. I like the original screenshot more. 

@MAESTR0

Is this a damage model for the airfields or is it one of the permanently destroyed ones? 

Screen_230204_222919.thumb.jpg.97af7e95d6d02856ef4b70bc9f8b97e2.jpg

• Like 5

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Thank you @MAESTR0for showing us these progress images. The map looks fantastic. Really good of you to be open to the constructive comments along the way. I look forward to the maps release.

• Like 1

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

I have to agree with the general hype about this map.  The new images look great, and the new airports will certainly make for a much wider possibilities.   I don't think anyone would go to the Big Ben to check the time of day, but that attention to detail certainly shows in many places and that is encouraging.

I have been open about my frustration about the lack of seasons in this map, but its size and the addition of larger cities could very well make up for it.

Looks really great. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by RafaPolit
  • Like 3

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

@MAESTR0 Thanks for the working update...it's huge for an eager community waiting for information. I would comment on 2 things...1) the color as mentioned already and 2) trees on the airfields ... please get rid of trees on the big open airfield and inside taxi ways (between taxiways and runways) on the fields. Many folks sometimes take off and land into the wind and do not use a designated formal 'runway' in all cases. Trees were a real headache in N1 map .... Good luck with the rest of the development. S!

• Like 4

I agree about trees not being on or too close to airfields. My hopes for this map are it will be FPS friendly, the countryside has tonal variation, realistic colouring and  that in time the Channel map area is included at high quality levels.

• Like 2

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

When I look at photos of France on my monitor, the color of the grass is completely normal. Like for example here. 

1649291562_23-vsegda-pomnim-com-p-plyazh

But on the same monitor on the map "Normandy" and it also seems "Normandy 2" grass and trees of a strange unrealistic color and texture. As in this screenshot

В 04.02.2023 в 19:36, MAESTR0 сказал:

1.jpg

I understand that the grass can be a little lighter and a little darker. But on the map, the trees and grass are too much unnatural now. I really hope it will be improved, I am very tired of trying to get a normal image on the monitor.

Edited by Red_Pilot
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Although I can't wait for the release of this map I have to agree with some that the WWII maps look cartoonish and over saturated. A reference photo of the region is not a good representation either as most of those are also over saturated as some people believe this looks better. I can't stand the trend in over saturation of photos but I digress. I think the detail and scale of the new map is epic and seriously can't wait for campaigns in this region but I do also think it looks cartoonish.

• Like 4

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

On 2/4/2023 at 10:04 PM, Marez said:

It should look like this image.

It'd look like that in cloudy weather but the shadows say otherwise so your image is wrong too.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

4 hours ago, mmarques said:

It looks quite amazing but that fluorescent grass does seem a little odd, should be quite a bit darker.

Which is strange, this that's literally what people asked for. More realistic colours. Instead we get a map more than twice in size of thr original,  tones of new assets, Paris and London.  But they kept the super light green grass. 

• Like 6

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Looks fantastic, I can't wait for this! I don't know why everyone is complaining about the colours, everything looks great to me! To each their own, I guess! 

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

According to numerous WWII Documentary reference footage this is the most accurate representation of colour from that era.

null

image.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

On 2/4/2023 at 10:36 AM, MAESTR0 said:

Hi
The Normandy2 map  is nearing completion. The development team would like to thank the participants of the DCS Forum for their great interest in the project and for their active participation in the discussion of the first results shown last fall. On the map added the original airfield Orly and standart airfields Stoney Cross, Lymington, Odiham, Deadland, Friston, Amiens-Glisy, Poix, Ronai, which were important for this theater. The total number of airfields will be 65. In recent months, considerable effort has been devoted to the task of streamlining the project, and a great deal of work has been done to adjust the color scheme of the whitewashed component parts of the project - buildings, fields, and trees. Much attention was paid to the original objects of Paris and London, including famous historical monuments. Transport and military infrastructure have been worked out in detail.

Original objects

Absolutely amazing looking. I can't believe you guys decided to do the estuary fortresses! Looking forward to the release!

• Like 3

On 2/4/2023 at 10:04 PM, Marez said:

I am going to buy this map for sure, but I still don't like the colors and the contrast of the textures. It looks cartoonish. In my opinion the colors should be less saturated and increase the contrast. It should look like this image.

Your image is too dull. The original colours chosen by the dev team are better IMO, only a little bit on the saturated site (what I like personally). Sunny day.

• Like 2

Hi, fighters

We responded to numerous requests from DCS Normandy1944 users and found additional features and resources to ensure that, in addition to summer, seasons of autumn and spring are also available to users on the DCS Normandy 2.

And since on the Normandy 2 the textures of fields and trees are made separately for England and separately for France, the user will see the difference between autumn in England and autumn in France.  There will also be differences in spring on these different parts of the map.

England spring

Screen_230210_132053.jpg

Screen_230210_132423.jpg

Screen_230210_132033.jpg

Screen_230210_132601.jpg

England autumn

Screen_230210_133112.jpg

Screen_230210_132947.jpg

Screen_230210_133515.jpg

Screen_230210_133425.jpg

France spring

Screen_230210_134126.jpg