DCS: Normandy 2.0 preview

MAESTR0

15 hours ago, fapador said:

Thanks!

Indeed the green shade seems more realistic and more Normandy like... Normandy 1.0 is far too light (washed out) color shade in too large areas.

This is also why, I always lower gamma (move to larger values) when I play Normandy map because it slightly improves it...

Although I believe  more random placed spots of brighter shades of green could have possibly made the scenery even more realistic as the  color uniformity will  not be so even then and perhaps  appeal more to the eye.

some real photos to compare:

aerial-view-chateau-gaillard-ruined-medieval-castle-les-andelys-town-normandy-france_261932-4743.jpg

601-2_601-9276_small.jpg

FWIW I'm fairly certain that the top picture at least has been tweaked significantly. Checking levels in photoshop you can see that there's a lot of data in all of the color channels that's pegged at 255, i.e. completely saturated. Definitely suggests that the color saturation has been significantly bumped up at some point. The bottom picture has pretty much no signs of that, and looks pretty natural.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jubuttib said:

FWIW I'm fairly certain that the top picture at least has been tweaked significantly. Checking levels in photoshop you can see that there's a lot of data in all of the color channels that's pegged at 255, i.e. completely saturated. Definitely suggests that the color saturation has been significantly bumped up at some point. The bottom picture has pretty much no signs of that, and looks pretty natural.

Interesting, might be possibly true. I posted the pictures in an effort to show the color fluctuation and not the vibrance of the colors so much. 

I am also aware that computer monitors  also play  a significant role on the color result seen and even then,  there are various other photography parameters at the time the picture was shot like for example exposure, white point, etc...  that come at play,

So pictures might be aswell not a realistic reference if no such photo data is available to the map designer .

Obsessed with FM's

On 10/23/2022 at 4:54 AM, fapador said:

Thanks!

Indeed the green shade seems more realistic and more Normandy like... Normandy 1.0 is far too light (washed out) color shade in too large areas.

This is also why, I always lower gamma (move to larger values) when I play Normandy map because it slightly improves it...

Although I believe  more random placed spots of brighter shades of green could have possibly made the scenery even more realistic as the  color uniformity will  not be so even then and perhaps  appeal more to the eye.

some real photos to compare:

aerial-view-chateau-gaillard-ruined-medieval-castle-les-andelys-town-normandy-france_261932-4743.jpg

601-2_601-9276_small.jpg

8 hours ago, jubuttib said:

was about to say the same thing 

On 10/22/2022 at 6:48 PM, Art-J said:

These look great and I understand product promotion, but I wouldn't mind getting also some shots and vids NOT done at hours with low sun position :). In DCS, "golden hours" make every map look good, but noon hours are a different matter (as Normandy 1 is the unfortunate example of).

There's also a question of optimization and performance impact of all this eyecandy - Spitfire vid shows severe stuttering over built-up area (though we don't know what hardware it was recorded on). We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I completely agree. I’d be curious to see some higher altitude shots taken at high noon, no clouds, to see the colors and landscape textures. Those were a weak point of Normandy 1, looking too bright. It’s hard to tell by these screenshots if that has been adressed. 

the details certainly look amazing. 

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 4

Generally looks good but some basic stuff like curved rails, road turns and disconnected level-only power lines certainly don't look like "new technology". Hope it's WIP.rails.jpgroads.jpgpowerlines.jpg

• Like 4

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

15 minutes ago, draconus said:

Generally looks good but some basic stuff like curved rails, road turns and disconnected level-only power lines certainly don't look like "new technology". Hope it's WIP.

They've to lower the poly count somewhere or even the NASA super computer would implode 🤣 .

After all, it's a flight sim, only in CA those details are relevant, whenever you fly by 400mph those things are invisible.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

15 minutes ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

They've to lower the poly count somewhere or even the NASA super computer would implode 🤣 .

After all, it's a flight sim, only in CA those details are relevant, whenever you fly by 400mph those things are invisible.

Too right.

@draconus - this isn't a First Person Shooter mate - you need to manage your expectations.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

They've to lower the poly count somewhere or even the NASA super computer would implode

These are just things that really stand out next to other perfectly modeled high quality objects.

You know, like putting old S-3B on new Supercarrier. I don't expect AAA FPS quality, just a consistence.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 4

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

27 minutes ago, draconus said:

You know, like putting old S-3B on new Supercarrier. I don't expect AAA FPS quality, just a consistence.

True, those stand out next to other things, in still frames when you seek for it, while flying I hardly doubt that's the slightest problem. And true, a consistency might be desirable, but there are different publishers and each one of them follows their own work as a pattern, I don't think anybody can ask different people and third parties to work in the exact same way. It's consistent indeed in that quality wise is quite similar to other maps like Syria, or even ED's Channel, but every third party decides how to handle their optimizations in order to make it playable to everyone. It's not my place to tell them how to do their job.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

3 hours ago, draconus said:

Generally looks good but some basic stuff like curved rails, road turns and disconnected level-only power lines certainly don't look like "new technology". Hope it's WIP.

Noticed exactly the same things. 

• Like 1

Obsessed with FM's

2 hours ago, draconus said:

These are just things that really stand out next to other perfectly modeled high quality objects.

Remember, S-3B on progress... as the B-52, B-1B and others on AAA FPS quality standars...

In_Dev_13.05.2022.2.jpg
In_Dev_13.05.2022.5.jpg
In_Dev_13.05.2022.4.jpg

Perfection required time...

AI Units

New and Updated assets

Because DCS World is built on a project spanning almost two decades, some units now show their age and will be updated throughout the year. It is also important that we add new units to better fill the battlefields. Here are some of the items that we intend to create or update in 2021:

Large Aircraft: B-52H, Tu-95MS, Tu-142, B-1B, IL-38, and Tu-160

Carrier Aircraft: S-3B and SH-60B

Ground Units: M1A2, AMX-56 Leclerc, Wespe Sd.Kfz.124, KS-19 100mm ADA, Son-4 “Flap Wheel” radar, C1 Ariete, Pantsir SA-22 “Greyhound”, and S-300/SA-10 “Grumble”.

And more to come... as the new infantry.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

Small criticism:

Remove the bomb carts as static objects that are permanently placed on the map and put them in the WWII asset pack as a placeable object.

Its very strange and unnerving to start up, taxi by, takeoff, fly for 2-3 hours, land, taxi in…. And still see those bombs sitting off the side of the ramp… forgotten in time.  Sitting in the sun during summer… rained and snowed on in the winter…. Time goes on and those bombs just sit there.

In real life they’re either in the munitions bunker away from the infrastructure, or they’re being loaded on the aircraft.  If the armorers brought too many and there were extra bombs, they’d be taken back to the bunker….. not just pushed off to the grass and left forever.

Also… do the clocks inside the hanger actually tell correct time?  If not remove them too.  It’s a nice detail but if it’s just static there’s no reason to include them.  It’s just a constant reminder of something that’s wrong in an otherwise awesomely detailed hanger.

Edited by Barrett_g
  • Like 8

It's very beautiful, the detail of some buildings is superb but allow me, this is a constructive criticism:
There is not much historical research on these WWII airfields!
The layout of the taxiways and runways does not conform to what it was at the time, the buildings (Blister Hangar, Blast pens Type E or Type B) do not exist or are badly placed and this is very unfortunate. The airfields on the channel map are more faithful to what they were during ww2. I think DCS wants to be as realistic as possible. Don't take this the wrong way but that's my opinion. I opened a discussion post with info on the arrangement of airfields with their buildings here:

Otherwise, it looks like a great map ! Thanks a lot !

Edited by Fred901
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Fred901 said:

It's very beautiful, the detail of some buildings is superb but allow me, this is a constructive criticism:
There is not much historical research on these WWII airfields!
The layout of the taxiways and runways does not conform to what it was at the time, the buildings (Blister Hangar, Blast pens Type E or Type B) do not exist or are badly placed and this is very unfortunate. The airfields on the channel map are more faithful to what they were during ww2. I think DCS wants to be as realistic as possible. Don't take this the wrong way but that's my opinion. I opened a discussion post with info on the arrangement of airfields with their buildings here:

Do you have information like this but for the airfields further in France, like Creil or Beauvais.  Only information I can get is a rough runway direction and length for each field, but no drawings of the layout like this

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 час назад, Barrett_g сказал:

Also… do the clocks inside the hanger actually tell correct time?  If not remove them too.  It’s a nice detail but if it’s just static there’s no reason to include them.  It’s just a constant reminder of something that’s wrong in an otherwise awesomely detailed hanger.

Didn't think you'd notice so quickly. 😀 But you didn't see the second hand on the clock. 😉
@Fred901@Magic Zach  Thanks for the help. We are trying to make Normandy 2 one of the best DCS maps. We will be grateful for any information.

2.png

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1