Better spotting (resolution and anti-aliasing independent)

Inf

6 hours ago, upyr1 said:

That's the issue is is if we are spotting things at a realistic range.

It depends on your hardware and settings. So it's realistic if you let it.

About HDR, while welcome, it won't help with visibility apart from some glint effects, if/when they come eventually, but it's not part of the tech itself. It'll help the scene look better, get rid of color bands, give more lights and better black, but how would it make the target stand out more from the background if the color difference is even smaller now? Think about it. If you're expecting the HDR to show you the targets you're setting yourself for a failure.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

3 hours ago, draconus said:

It depends on your hardware and settings. So it's realistic if you let it.

About HDR, while welcome, it won't help with visibility apart from some glint effects, if/when they come eventually, but it's not part of the tech itself. It'll help the scene look better, get rid of color bands, give more lights and better black, but how would it make the target stand out more from the background if the color difference is even smaller now? Think about it. If you're expecting the HDR to show you the targets you're setting yourself for a failure.

I was referring to this HDR, ie HDR 10 etc. not computer graphics HDR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_television

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

13 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

This us why I figure any system needs factor in your settings.

If your res is too low the information on the pixel level gets lost. You can zoom in though. Same as with watching high MP photos on small screen. So DCS gives you all the info, now it's on your display device and your settings to use it.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

2 hours ago, upyr1 said:

This us why I figure any system needs factor in your settings.

Not sure what settings you mean but in the case of the sprites as an example the settings (resolution) can just be changed by the player to exploit the system. The game also doesn’t know your screen size or how far away you’re viewing from. There’s only so much the game can do. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

24 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Not sure what settings you mean but in the case of the sprites as an example the settings (resolution) can just be changed by the player to exploit the system. The game also doesn’t know your screen size or how far away you’re viewing from. There’s only so much the game can do. 

I mean your system settings 

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

I mean your system settings 

Which settings? Other than resolution I can’t quite see which ones matter. Or if they did, how you prevent these from simply being “gamed” as an exploit. 

18 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Which settings? Other than resolution I can’t quite see which ones matter. Or if they did, how you prevent these from simply being “gamed” as an exploit. 

Your resolution for starters. Screen size might matter too. There is always the chance someone will game the system but I don't think the result would be different than playing with labels. 

32 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

Your resolution for starters. Screen size might matter too. There is always the chance someone will game the system but I don't think the result would be different than playing with labels. 

But see that can just be exploited by players simply changing their resolution. And the game can’t really know your screen size without some sort of internal hardware database which doesn’t seem feasible. Labels aren’t an exploit since everyone can use them equally if they’re a mission option. 

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

But see that can just be exploited by players simply changing their resolution.

You can turn labels on right nowm

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

And the game can’t really know your screen size without some sort of internal hardware database which doesn’t seem feasible.

You don't need a database just a way to get the information from windows or the user. So a graphics set up wizard might work. 

6 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

You can turn labels on right nowm

But the use of labels and what type is controlled by the mission setting for all players equally. That’s not the same thing as an exploit. 

7 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

You don't need a database just a way to get the information from windows or the user. So a graphics set up wizard might work. 

That seems quite overreaching and probably subject to errors. And the game can’t tell how far away from the screen you are so knowing the size alone isn’t relevant.