2.8 update has 20 % fps loss on pimax8kx and 15 fps loss on Varjo Aero (RTX 4090)

darkman222

The 2.8 update brought the opposite of VR improvements for my system. On the Pimax I was on smooth 75% occupancy before now I am at stuttery 95% occupancy.

Switching to the Varjo Aero I came from relatively smooth 90 fps down to 80 fps or even 75 fps.

Same settings I did not change anything except the update.

Also it takes a lot longer to display the ground. The water surface is displayed double the amount of time when jumping into a MP server. Dont know if related.

Before the update DCS was smooth on the RTX 4090. Now I am back at where I was with the 3090. Please ED do something. Smooth frame rates in VR are more important than pretty looks.

Here are my system specs. It really a decent system.

null

image.png

• Like 1

Ouch, there goes my 90 fps dreams.  Does this happen with other people too?  I thought we were getting VR optimization with this patch.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Drop also here, I am getting 7.5% less performance in my test track.  Seems pretty much the same for all aircraft in all terrains.  

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

Need to check whether CPU or GPU frametime is affected, or both.  I guess it’s the new weather system with fancy clouds and rainbow, etc.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

It is pretty much GPU frametime. I can see that with fpsVR. I test it with the same missions.

Everytime I buy new hardware (  RTX 4090) ED manages to update DCS back to the performance I had on my old hardware. I imagine 2.6 to be a rocket fps wise.

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45-15=30 FPS in VR😆  Well done ED

• Like 1

i7-11700K 5GHz, 64GB DDR4@3200, ZOTAC RTX4090, iiyama 34 Red Eagle  || Quest 3, HP Reverb G2, TrackIR 5  || Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo, TM Warthog throttle(button box),  Virpil WarBRD+Viper stick, VPC interceptor pedals || TM MFD Cougar pack || F-16C, F-15E, AH-64D | Simshaker Jetpad || F-16 Panels: Landing Gear, CMDS, ICP, Avionics, Sensors, Lighting, Air Cond, HUD, Anti Ice

1 minute ago, darkman222 said:

It is pretty much GPU frametime. I can see that with fpsVR

That’s better than CPU FT getting hit in my book, there’re a lot you can do to compensate.  I’ll mess around tonight.

I'm getting comparable performance after the update, on my 3090.    But I have tons of stuff turned off to push my framerate up already.

I *did* notice some wonky shadows on the bunker hangars ... like the shadow was on top of the bunker, instead of behind it

Edited by Gordy

Remember also that this is still beta branch.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Supmua said:

That’s better than CPU FT getting hit in my book, there’re a lot you can do to compensate.  I’ll mess around tonight.

I went back to low on everything. The next thing I can use to compensate is lower the resolution which is a no go for me. I purchased the 4090 for playing in full resolution. And I have been playing in full resolution... BEFORE the update.

I am showing a qualitatively significant frame drop certainly flying in the PG map even with very few clouds, I am regularly down at 30 fps now from previous 45.

• Like 1

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I'll wait a few days to see if they iron this out, but seriously considering a roll back.

i7 12700K,   RTX 4090,  MSI Z690 Carbon WiFi,  32GB x 2  DDR5 5200Mhz Ram,   Windows 11,    DCS Stand alone,   OpenXR Toolkit,   Pimax Crystal,   Thrustmaster Viper Stick with RealSimulator  FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra Base,    Winwing Orion 2 10th Anniversary with F-16EX Throttle Grip,    Virpil ACE Interceptor Pedals

Just about to try 2.8...so some mods obviously don't work any more. In terms of the FPS drop, do we have a standard we can use. My usual is Hornet ready on the ramp, Caucasus. I;ve looked at pancake mode and obviously seen the wacky shadows issue already

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

3 minutes ago, zildac said:

In terms of the FPS drop, do we have a standard we can use.

You can't compare your numbers to someone else's...  You can only compare your 2.7x numbers to your 2.8 numbers.  Stick with 2.7, get some perf numbers.  Switch to 2.8..  get new numbers.  Convert those to a % and post them.  That's the only way to define a trend here.

• Like 3

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

1 minute ago, zildac said:

Just about to try 2.8...so some mods obviously don't work any more. In terms of the FPS drop, do we have a standard we can use. My usual is Hornet ready on the ramp, Caucasus.

I have a bunch of recent CPU and GPU FT numbers that I recorded from various aircrafts and starting missions (for 3090 vs 4090 comparison, also planned 9900K vs 5800X3D) but these aren’t meant to be compared with other people’s setup.  So these would come in handy as they were obtained from the previous beta version.

7 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

You can't compare your numbers to someone else's...  You can only compare your 2.7x numbers to your 2.8 numbers.  Stick with 2.7, get some perf numbers.  Switch to 2.8..  get new numbers.  Convert those to a % and post them.  That's the only way to define a trend here.

Here are my numbers on 2.8 https://forum.dcs.world/topic/311178-large-performance-drop-in-vr-after-updating-to-28/#comment-5074255

That's even more than 20% drop in the spot I compared. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

It looks like terrain shadows might be busted according to the general bugs thread.

• Like 1

OK, so first impressions. All same settings, F18 ready on the ramp had to lose the Taz kegetys mod as it caused compile errors (to be expected after such a major upgrade) 20 FPS less...pants frankly. And I'm also assuming the weather/clouds haven't change on that instant action mission. So where's it gone? Varjo Aero, 4090 blah blah....

Seriously, can we just get one or two peeps in ED to test this stuff in VR, it's getting a little tired now?!

I'm happy to volunteer on that front

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

Need to check whether CPU or GPU frametime is affected, or both.  I guess it’s the new weather system with fancy clouds and rainbow, etc.

Good point, not checked...but it's a 20FPS deficit here..will spend more time tomorrow. Not sure that the instant action missions have the new clouds/weather? I saw no graphical difference tbh. Shadows are a different conversation.

Edited by zildac
  • Like 2

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

4 minutes ago, dutchili said:

Performance improved with the Oculus Quest 2. Higher settings and stable FPS

This is the first performance gain post I've seen.

• Like 3