2.8 update has 20 % fps loss on pimax8kx and 15 fps loss on Varjo Aero (RTX 4090)

darkman222

6 hours ago, lj0076 said:

Try it, maybe it will work for you. I don't know at all what is happening and why, the fact is that everything worked without problems until the 2.8 update.
I suspected the Nvidia drivers also updated on Friday night, but the only problem is again with DCS, the others (IL2, MSFS 2020) work without change.
The fact that I am frustrated is a very mild expression, I think that during more thorough testing before release, someone would have pointed it out. There are simply a lot of people with similar problems.

Just rolled back to 2.7 and everything is back to normal 🙂

Quick test: for same fps (45-50 in Apache quickstart hot start mission) in 2.7 I can turn MSAA to X4 and Shadows to normal, in 2.8 MSAA needs to set in X2 and Shadows to low. 12700k CPU and 3090 GPU.

Sad I can't log in some MP servers now 😞

• Like 1

I can’t roll back now, the new weather and lighting effects provide enough eye candy for me to stick around.  I’ll just put up with the shadows issue for the time being.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Wow, thats pretty depressing to hear that you guys with the latest CPU & GPU are still constrained and struggling to pull 45 FPS out of it in VR....

I am managing a pretty solid 30 FPS, with MR on, 140%, MSAA x2  and at 60hz in the G2, in some fairly undemanding single player missions. I dont have a comparison that I have benched from before, but it does seem nice and smooth at least. I guess as long as it looks OK, who cares what the FPS is....! ? 

Edited by markturner1960
  • Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Just now, markturner1960 said:

Wow, thats pretty depressing to hear that you guys with the latest CPU & GPU are still constrained and struggling to pull 45 FPS out of it in VR....

Not at all. While I have lost around 10% performance, I am still able to achieve 45 FPS steady with high preset (just low low level overhead Beirut at dawn with rain on I am struggling a bit).

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

I’m just setting up a new PC and I’m downloading the latest open beta available on the website and it’s only showing 2.7. Maybe I’m missing something but perhaps they’ve figured out that 2.8 was a little underbaked. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

15 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

I’m just setting up a new PC and I’m downloading the latest open beta available on the website and it’s only showing 2.7. Maybe I’m missing something but perhaps they’ve figured out that 2.8 was a little underbaked. 

You get 2.8 if you download from the site, they have not changed the text

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

You get 2.8 if you download from the site, they have not changed the text

Right you are, be good to see some discussion in addition to acknowledgement from the developers sooner rather than later re: 2.8 performance issues though. 

I’m pretty confident that I’m speaking well beyond my pay grade but hopefully those devs that were working on the weather can now go and assist the Multicore team. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

4 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

Right you are, be good to see some discussion in addition to acknowledgement from the developers sooner rather than later re: 2.8 performance issues though. 

I’m pretty confident that I’m speaking well beyond my pay grade but hopefully those devs that were working on the weather can now go and assist the Multicore team. 

Or some modders could try to make a Vulkan wrapper like DXVK for DCS.  We already have OpenXR wrapper so why not Vulkan also.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Or some modders could try to make a Vulkan wrapper like DXVK for DCS.  We already have OpenXR wrapper so why not Vulkan also.
Probably it would be wasted time as ED is already working on Vulcan

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

2 hours ago, VirusAM said:
16 hours ago, Supmua said:

Yeah not so sure what we need now is more "hacks" for VR. It can already be confusing enough for some just running it stock.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Probably it will be a crap as well. Anything they touch goes this way... Im sorry but that is how it is since 2.5 :(

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

43 minutes ago, gorzasty said:

Probably it will be a crap as well. Anything they touch goes this way... Im sorry but that is how it is since 2.5 😞

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Well...  this is complete bull<profanity>.

Also if you disagree...  Feel free to go back to 2.5...  I'm pretty sure it's still there.

Edited by M1Combat
  • Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Tried hot fix but fps still not playable as it was with version 2.7.  :disgust:

Version 2.8 is a complete disaster for me.  Can't fly with my squad and can't use DCS now and very much missing MP on the Cold War Enigma server as fps not playable any more in DCS with my VR headset. :frown:

No good me even thinking about purchasing any new content for DCS as it is on the shelf gathering dust at the moment while I fly other VR titles.  :sad:

Hope DCS is working on better performance quality or this sim is over for me.

• Like 2

Bell_UH-1 side.png

This is coming for the Aero, hopefully soon.  Might help mitigate performance loss.

• Like 2

Motion prediction is nice for flying around in MSFS2020. But not for DCS. As it says its just a prediction, on no headset it ever worked in a close air combat dogfight.

We need a "performance" mode for DCS and if people like eye candy I am fine with "high visuals" mode. But I am not going to win any dogfight with eyecandy instead of fps.

The thing is we have been at high resolutions and high fps together with the RTX 4090. At least I was, for a couple of days with my RTX 4090. That was until the 2.8 update was dropped.

Edited by darkman222

Just did some test flights with the newest version of OXRTK and Opencomposite OpenXR, and you know what it now gives better performance than SteamVR.  OXRTK now reports accurate CPU frametime, and the new Turbo mode is nifty (this messes up traditional CPU FT measurement as the next frame is forced to render as fast as possible).  With this I can run my Aero at 3360x2880 pixel per screen with my current DCS settings, and still gets smooth 90 fps in Harrier Free Flight Caucasus which is currently not possible with SteamVR with the current DCS beta (2.8) unless I lower the resolution.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Supmua said:

Just did some test flights with the newest version of OXRTK and Opencomposite OpenXR, and you know what it now gives better performance than SteamVR.  OXRTK now reports accurate CPU frametime, and the new Turbo mode is nifty.  With this I can run my Aero at 3360x2880 pixel per screen with my current DCS settings, and still gets smooth 90 fps in Harrier Free Flight Caucasus which is currently not possible with SteamVR with the current DCS beta (2.8) unless I lower the resolution.

Nice 🙂

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

13 hours ago, Supmua said:

Just did some test flights with the newest version of OXRTK and Opencomposite OpenXR, and you know what it now gives better performance than SteamVR.  OXRTK now reports accurate CPU frametime, and the new Turbo mode is nifty (this messes up traditional CPU FT measurement as the next frame is forced to render as fast as possible).  With this I can run my Aero at 3360x2880 pixel per screen with my current DCS settings, and still gets smooth 90 fps in Harrier Free Flight Caucasus which is currently not possible with SteamVR with the current DCS beta (2.8) unless I lower the resolution.

Where did you download the last Opencomposite version? I donwloaded here: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR but can't find "opencomposite.ini" and "openvr_api.dll" files.

4 hours ago, nachomaga said:

Where did you download the last Opencomposite version? I donwloaded here: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR but can't find "opencomposite.ini" and "openvr_api.dll" files.

All you need is the 64 bit dll file (openvr_api.dll) from that page. 

• Like 1

nullIt's still possible to get good framerate, just need to do some finetuning.  This is Apache Syria Hot Start Instant Mission on the Varjo at 3136x2688 pixels per screen, OpenXR, VR preset with MSAAx2, High textures/terrain textures, Flat shadows/terrain shadows (still bugged with soft shadow edges despite flat setting), Anisotropic filtering 4x.  The 4090 and 5800X3D seem like a good combo.  Don't expect this kind of fps on crowded MP server though, as the CPU will bog you down.

image.jpeg

Edited by Supmua