The future of Vaicom

hornblower793

All,

For those who are not yet aware, @Hollywood_315 has placed the Vaicom source on github this morning and is therefore no longer supporting it.

We are in the process of pulling together an ongoing development and community management team and will update as further details become available.

Massive thanks to @Hollywood_315 for having produced such a great tool and supported it for so long.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 14
  • Thanks 16

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Yes! This is a great day for VA VAICOM users!

Many thanks to all you guys making this possible :notworthy:

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Fantastic news! Thanks so much for all your work guys, and to Hollywood for his supporting this move!!

Glad I did not uninstall or delete anything. Have not launched DCS since updating to 2.8 yet so hopefully I will be golden when an easy fix is available.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thank you Hollywood315 for developping vaicom which is one of the most immersive tool for DCS in my opinion…..

Also, thank you so much for allowing further development with making it open to the community👍👍👍👍

And thank you to the new development team!!!!🤩🤩🤩

• Like 1

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Afghanistan - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

I can't help but joining the big THANK YOU! to @Hollywood_315 for making VAICOM open source, it's a fantastic demonstration of care towards the community and all the users that love this wonderful product.

Personally, I couldn't fly DCS anymore without it, so today is a day of great joy for me!!!

And, of course, an equally big THANK YOU! to all the guys in the community that immediately put a lot of effort to make VAICOM work again (I was following it ongoing live on Discord yesterday) and, together with him, made this wonderful outcome possible.

Edited by BlueRaven
  • Like 3

BlueRaven.jpg

Nulla Dies Sine Linea

I'm far away from keyboard now but yesterday night I followed discord very carefully.
Thank you Hollywood for everything. For me VAICOM is mandatory tool for flying. Thanks also all guys involved in 2.8 fix. It showed how important is this gold piece of software in order to continue flying in VR, closer to reallife fights.
Very good community!!!!
Keep pushing.!!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G981B mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

• ED Team
Just now, sthompson said:

@BIGNEWY Please pin this important news

pinned an hour ago 🙂

• Like 8

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Great news for all!

My question is will it continue to be payware?  I'm sure those who are taking the reins should be compensated somehow and those who have already purchased it should get their money's worth, especially those who just bought it recently not knowing it was no longer supported, it's doesn't seem fair to them to have paid for it and everyone in the future does not.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

9 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

Great news for all!

My question is will it continue to be payware?  I'm sure those who are taking the reins should be compensated somehow and those who have already purchased it should get their money's worth, especially those who just bought it recently not knowing it was no longer supported, it's doesn't seem fair to them to have paid for it and everyone in the future does not.

v6,

boNes

My understanding (and hope) is that now it is open source it will be free! I’m sure the community is excited to be able to keep working on it as freeware (though I’d happily donate if there is a patreon or something). Personally I’m more than happy to have paid @Hollywood_315for his awesome work at the time and have got plenty of use out of it over the last 18 months so don’t begrudge a penny! I’m pretty sure most people feel the same way!

Also to jump on the bandwagon and add my thanks to the both Hollywood and the community for keeping this amazing tool alive!

• Like 5

Great news for all!

v6,
boNes
We haven't got that far in thought processes yet - the guys who can code (used to be me but I moved on many years ago) are focussed on immediate patching and the rest of us are just lobbing ideas in.

I think it will be an incremental thing, with initial focus on maintaining functionality and understanding what it does before we move on.

Regular updates will be posted here as we move forwards.

• Like 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I've paid the tool but I have nothing to regret if the community driven new vaicom will be free for all, following the genuine philosophy behind the open source software.

Due to a lot of bugs accumulated in the last months, I think I'm going to uninstall the current vaicom and I'll wait to see the first sort of "stable" effort of the community. I'd like to help myself the development, but I have absolutely no coding knowledge. At least I know vaicom will work again in the near future.

Edited by nessuno0505
  • Like 5

We can always find a role for volunteers - testing across all airframes etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shiroka said:

it's doesn't seem fair to them to have paid for it and everyone in the future does not.

I paid for it and got to use it earlier than those in the future, and that's absolutely cool with me - especially since we're not talking about a huge price tag here.

I can understand people who bought it 2 weeks ago being a bit miffed, but then again the alternative is being stuck with a version that does not work at all, so I think even those would prefer a free version over that.

I haven't really found a license even though the github repo is named vaicompro-gpl, so I'm not sure how feasible creating restricted payware out of this would be. Plus there's absolutely no requirement to honor previous purchases (might be hard to verify as well), so people who bought it before then would have to pay twice...

• Like 2

Yeah I got way more value out of it than I actually paid for over the years. No regrets here and I am thrilled it will be an Open Source project and available to all. What a fantastic program.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 3

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

This is wonderful news, thanks @Hollywood_315 for keeping this going!  

If we establish a community dev team, or someone really takes it fully over, I'd be happy to volunteer some my time contributing to some patch work and testing over the next couple months.

Coding is not my strongsuit, but more than happy to contribute time to scut work, VA programming, and documentation.

I use AIRIO extensively, and would love to help reduce the need for the Jester wheel even further than the current implementation allows!

Edited by Scotia
  • Like 1

Former USN F/A-18E/F Avionics Tech @ VFA-103 & VFA-106
Former T-34C & T-44A/C Plane Captain

Thanks for the great software and releasing it to open source where many can continue to enjoy your creation.

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

2 hours ago, Blackeye said:

I paid for it and got to use it earlier than those in the future, and that's absolutely cool with me - especially since we're not talking about a huge price tag here.

I can understand people who bought it 2 weeks ago being a bit miffed, but then again the alternative is being stuck with a version that does not work at all, so I think even those would prefer a free version over that.

I haven't really found a license even though the github repo is named vaicompro-gpl, so I'm not sure how feasible creating restricted payware out of this would be. Plus there's absolutely no requirement to honor previous purchases (might be hard to verify as well), so people who bought it before then would have to pay twice...

I would suggest something like Apache 2.0 or similar.   MIT/BSD would be nice but then someone could just grab it and make a closed source fork.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I went onto https://www.vaicompro.com/ today and there is only a file to download called Viacom Pro 2_5_28.zip. The only thing that is included in this file is a viacompro.dll that unlocks all the modules. When used, my AV also blocked communication to a  website

Time;URL;Status;Detection;Application;User;IP address;Hash
2022-10-31 11:05:07 AM;http://www.awebsite.com/uploads/updates.json

I replaced that dll with the one that came with 2_5_27.zip. I was still able to validate my keys. I am not sure if we should be hesitant on getting that .dll from the viacompro.com website.

Gigabyte 6800XT Master 16GB, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra MB, 32GB Ram, Meta Quest 2 VR installed on Netac 2TB M.2 drive

Winwing Orion2 base with f-16EX grip, Winwing Orion2 Throttle with F-18 Grip

Currently member of VAF 136 (F/A-18C Squadron).

DCS Modules F/A-18C, A-10II-C, F-15E, F-16, AH-64D, KA50-III, F-5, P-51D and FC3 aircraft.

Terrain Modules: Persian Gulf, Caucus, Nevada Test Training Range (NTTR), Syria, South Atlantic, Sinai and Normandy 2.0.