The future of Vaicom

hornblower793

Great news that Hollywood is ok. WIsh he would still continue with it. I would pay for updates or more functionality from him. After loosing it for 2 days I realized the value of his work was more than I thought. Hope he is busy and continues playing DCS though.

• Like 6

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

I want to add my voice to the choir. A massive THANK YOU! to @Hollywood_315 for all the hours of joy VAICOM has brought over the years, and for open-sourcing your software when you no longer wish to or are able to support it. I hope you are well and wish you all the best!

And huge thanks to the community! It's in times like this when the true colours really shine through, showing what an awesome community this really is!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GGTharos said:

I would suggest something like Apache 2.0 or similar.   MIT/BSD would be nice but then someone could just grab it and make a closed source fork.

That's up to Hollywood I suppose. Right now it's slightly confusing as the name hints GPL but in a file public domain is mentioned.

It has been placed on Github as open source.

A small (but growing) team of users from the Vaicom Discord is already working on the code to deliver a rounded fix for the 2.8 issues and starting to work out how we best support / enhance the product into the future for the benefit of all. Given @Hollywood_315has generously placed it in the public domain we intend to honour that approach to keep both current and new users supported.

@MAXsenna and I will lead on support in these forums for users who are not on the Discord  (https://discord.gg/7gbYqKEsX6). Please give us a bit of time to work out what we are all doing / how this great plugin works but the intention is to then deliver updates / fixes as required, including a formal bug / issue tracker that all will be able to contribute to. In the meantime, all offers of help / expertise will be warmly received and any issues please either post in the forums or DM either Max or myself and we will do our best to get the answer.

Edited by hornblower793
Bad placement of brackets
  • Like 8

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Man we have come so far just in the last day or so, very exciting that Hollywood turned over his marvelous work to be able to be worked on and for the talented guys stepping up to the plate in here to help make it a nice reality once again. I do hope Hollywood is well and this provides him with some well deserved relief from the responsibility.

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will get clearance from my surgeon for some VR flying and I can finally get back to what I love so much. Hopefully with Vaicom Pro!

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I echo and support wholeheartedly these above sentiments. Only hope Hollywood is well and that this is a satisfying solution for him. Coming from an aviation background and being fairly new to DCS and flt sims in general I can only say that VAICOM, in addition to PointCtrl and obviously VR, has made this the most enjoyable hobby I could ever imagine!  Kudos and support to all the guys working to keep VAICOM going and making it even better!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VAF[136]inZane said:

I went onto https://www.vaicompro.com/ today and there is only a file to download called Viacom Pro 2_5_28.zip. The only thing that is included in this file is a viacompro.dll that unlocks all the modules. When used, my AV also blocked communication to a  website

Time;URL;Status;Detection;Application;User;IP address;Hash
2022-10-31 11:05:07 AM;http://www.awebsite.com/uploads/updates.json

I replaced that dll with the one that came with 2_5_27.zip. I was still able to validate my keys. I am not sure if we should be hesitant on getting that .dll from the viacompro.com website.

For what it's worth, that domain is for sale, and it looks like a placeholder address. I suspect it's a crocky workaround to bypass some code that was waiting for a website to report back, to validate licenses or something. Hopefully the first Open Source release will have that cleaned up. It's possible Hollywood wanted to get this done in a hurry due to whatever caused him to disappear (a kid, maybe? A time sink if I ever saw one) taking priority.

I bought it years ago, but as I mentioned before, was never able to get it to carry out my spoken orders. Hollywood offered me a refund, which I declined. He also offered to help me change some things to make it sound more in line with RAF procedures than US ones (although the two are probably more similar now IRL) so he is indeed a "good egg" and I wish him well.

• Like 2

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Thanks to Hollywood for firstly creating a fantastic add-on, and secondly for now sharing it out for ongoing development.  It is no skin off my nose that I only paid for it a month or so ago.  It was worth every cent.  Thanks also to the new crew getting together to develop it into the future.

• Like 3

I wonder if it could be integrated as an official module or function in the future? 

• Like 1
  • PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

For those that still want to have that ViaComPro type emersion, you are able to disable the ViaCom plugin and create your own profile. While I am sure that there will be a more elegant solution coming and others may have already done this, I have been able to setup a profile so that I can use a number of the Viacom type commands either in the comms menu or otherwise in the F18 that give me a close approximation. I might need to follow the menu's but at least I can keep playing in VR happily until a better solution comes along.

Edited by Asbolus

44 minutes ago, nessuno0505 said:

Is the community release a full package or do I need the original hollywood315 files?

You don't need the files from Hollywood anymore. There is an installer but also a zip file with the files you need. You can get them at the community github here https://github.com/Penecruz/VAICOMPRO-Community/releases/tag/v2.8.0.0 and installation instructions here https://github.com/Penecruz/VAICOMPRO-Community

• Like 1

Congrats to the small group of programmers on an outstanding job!

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Has any of the contributors put ViacomPro community edition on the DCS user files site? This might be a way to get more users involved in the product.

Gigabyte 6800XT Master 16GB, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra MB, 32GB Ram, Meta Quest 2 VR installed on Netac 2TB M.2 drive

Winwing Orion2 base with f-16EX grip, Winwing Orion2 Throttle with F-18 Grip

Currently member of VAF 136 (F/A-18C Squadron).

DCS Modules F/A-18C, A-10II-C, F-15E, F-16, AH-64D, KA50-III, F-5, P-51D and FC3 aircraft.

Terrain Modules: Persian Gulf, Caucus, Nevada Test Training Range (NTTR), Syria, South Atlantic, Sinai and Normandy 2.0.

29 minutes ago, BlueRaven said:

☝️This, do not disperse the code guys, it only generates FUD.

We totally agree, and would like to try and keep all users moving in a single group - it will be to the benefit of all 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal