The future of Vaicom

hornblower793

New version as of this morning 2.8.1.0 is out.

Thank you guys so much for all you are doing and Merry Christmas to all!!

Edited by dburne
  • Like 4

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 hours ago, dburne said:

New version as of this morning 2.8.1.0 is out. Thank you guys so much for all you are doing and Merry Christmas to all!!

I second the thanks for the work on this, and the Christmas present of a new release. However the release notes include the following description of the new Hot Mic functionality, which I find to be very confusing. Perhaps some more clarification could be provided.

Quoting from the release notes ...

Hot Mic needs some explanation:
The "Hot Mic" switch in VAICOMs Ex config page now triggers, if VAICOM gets in a permanent listening state, if you put the ICS switch to hot mic in the cockpit. If you leave VAICOMs hot mic disabled, ICS hot mic will allow you to talk to your fellow RIOs through SRS / voice chat, but it does not have any auto listening on VAICOM anymore. If you fly alone, tick it and the ICS hot mic switch will allow you to talk to Jester all the time using AIRIO, like if it was your human RIO.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

2 minutes ago, sthompson said:

I second the thanks for the work on this, and the Christmas present of a new release. However the release notes include the following description of the new Hot Mic functionality, which I find to be very confusing. Perhaps some more clarification could be provided.

Quoting from the release notes ...

Hot Mic needs some explanation:
The "Hot Mic" switch in VAICOMs Ex config page now triggers, if VAICOM gets in a permanent listening state, if you put the ICS switch to hot mic in the cockpit. If you leave VAICOMs hot mic disabled, ICS hot mic will allow you to talk to your fellow RIOs through SRS / voice chat, but it does not have any auto listening on VAICOM anymore. If you fly alone, tick it and the ICS hot mic switch will allow you to talk to Jester all the time using AIRIO, like if it was your human RIO.

Yeah I am with you there some clarification on that one would be helpful.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If you tic the hot mic box in the config ex Page, hop into the F-14, set the pilot ICS switch to hot mic, everything spoken will be send thrue vaicom / VA which will try to make  sense of it and execute commands if they  are issued. This is basically the default SP setting, to make use of the hot mic function to talk to jester. In MP / multi crew you might consider to untic, so you are able to have a tea time conversation with your human RIO, all while making sure Vaicom / VA isn't eavesdropping and performing  commands not ment to be done. If you need to talk to VA/ VAICOM, press the ptt and issue the command, srs/voicechat is muted until released again. 

It looks like some new bugs come with the update.

My kneeboard works OK, but the 'Options' - 'Take (n)' command is completely stuffed for me. It will sometimes show the text, but mostly just blinks on then off. If called up as a COM (\) command using the keyboard it , that works perfectly, so it does not appear to be a DCS problem.

Doubtless all will be fixed sometime soon, and I must say a thank you for the work the new developers are doing to keep Vaicom alive. :notworthy:

1 hour ago, Terry Dactil said:

It looks like some new bugs come with the update.

My kneeboard works OK, but the 'Options' - 'Take (n)' command is completely stuffed for me. It will sometimes show the text, but mostly just blinks on then off. If called up as a COM (\) command using the keyboard it , that works perfectly, so it does not appear to be a DCS problem.

Doubtless all will be fixed sometime soon, and I must say a thank you for the work the new developers are doing to keep Vaicom alive. :notworthy:

Do you have kneeboard.dll file somwhere in apps folder?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Hi all, just a reminder, the "Help" channel on the Vaicom official Discord here offers assistance delivered in real time by the people who maintain Vaicom Pro now. If you have a persistent problem and you're out of airspeed and ideas, that is probably the best way to find a solution. A Discord account is required (available via free registration).

• Like 3

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

12 hours ago, hreich said:

Do you have kneeboard.dll file somwhere in apps folder?

Hmm I just checked mine and do not have a kneeboard.dll. I am assuming in the Vaicom Apps folder?

Don B

19 minutes ago, dburne said:

Hmm I just checked mine and do not have a kneeboard.dll. I am assuming in the Vaicom Apps folder?

Same here.

I could not find a kneeboard.dll file anywhere on my computer.

I did find that the older Vaicom manual said that no download or install was required for the kneeboard, so it is probably buried somewhere inside the main program. That paragraph  has been removed from the latest manual.

• Thanks 1

My kneeboard is working just fine with no kneeboard.dll file present. There never was one previously, and I'm not sure why the absence of one now is relevant to anything.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

15 hours ago, sthompson said:

My kneeboard is working just fine with no kneeboard.dll file present. There never was one previously, and I'm not sure why the absence of one now is relevant to anything.

Are you on latest community version? If you are, how did you upgraded from first community version?

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

On 12/27/2022 at 7:56 PM, Horns said:

Hi all, just a reminder, the "Help" channel on the Vaicom official Discord here offers assistance delivered in real time by the people who maintain Vaicom Pro now. If you have a persistent problem and you're out of airspeed and ideas, that is probably the best way to find a solution. A Discord account is required (available via free registration).

Came up as a blank to me. Looks like it's a link to a voice channel and therefore comes up as a Discord error message - for anyone who isn't logged into the Vaicom channel already, I guess.

Edit - just clicked on the other link posted and got the same thing.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

6 hours ago, hreich said:

Are you on latest community version? If you are, how did you upgraded from first community version?

Yes. I unzipped the latest version and dragged the folder on top of the existing one. (With neither DCS nor VA running of course.) It replaced the DLL files and all has worked well since then. I did a "Finish" step for good measure but I'm not sure it was needed.

Edit: By "on top of" I mean I dragged the unzipped VAICOMPRO folder into the VA apps folder so that it merged with the existing VAICOMPRO folder.

Edited by sthompson

9 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Came up as a blank to me. Looks like it's a link to a voice channel and therefore comes up as a Discord error message - for anyone who isn't logged into the Vaicom channel already, I guess.

Edit - just clicked on the other link posted and got the same thing.

Apologies for that, I had misunderstood how that worked.

9 hours ago, AdrianL said:

Thanks for sorting that out, I'll know what to link next time :thumbup:

• Like 1

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

• 4 months later...

Is it officially broken now?

I just started using it again recently, downloaded from the discord. Only now when I tune to Batumi, ILS, TACAN radio... and call "inbound".

I get this on screen.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 091658.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

37 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Works fine for me. Radio's tuned correctly I suppose?
BTW, apologies if you already know, but that's the alternative name for Batumi. So it's correct.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

hmm

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/Georgia/Russia_Airport_Charts_and_Frequencies  Lists Tzokot a.k.a. Senaki - Kolkhi

Either way, why doesn't it just list as Batumi in game?

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, Sr. said:

Is it officially broken now?

I just started using it again recently, downloaded from the discord. Only now when I tune to Batumi, ILS, TACAN radio... and call "inbound".

I get this on screen.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 091658.jpg

Could be related to issues already known to the Community developers. See 

• Like 1

How about the kneeboard? I'm unable to change tabs using "AWACS", "Anvil", "Tower" etc.

--Arthur C Clark