Big FPS Drop for Me in 2.8 in VR

C3PO

Hi - noticing a significant FPS drop in 2.8 in VR (it is otherwise a lovely update). After going into the cockpit scene, the textures take up to 10 seconds to load and looking around is choppy.

Rig is 5800X + 3090FW Ultra + 4200M.2 drive and 32GB RAM.

There were no issues like this earlier this year.

Gone back to nVidia drivers from late July / early August, no joy.

I am running Win11 which I am not too pleased about generally, and cannot now "downgrade" to 10. Is there anything in the OS settings that I can tweak?

Checked SteamVR settings for my HP G2 and they seem the same as before.

Oh, I deleted the contents of FX and metashader folders.

Thanks for any help / advice.

Edited by C3PO

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

• C3PO changed the title to Big FPS Drop for Me in 2.8 in VR
  • ED Team

Hi C3PO 

we are looking into it. 

We have a shadows issue that maybe contributing to it. 

In windows 11 open your command prompt as admin and type 

logman stop HolographicShell -ets

and press return, it will turn off windows 11 vr logging and save some frames. 

We will continue to look at the data in 2.8 and tweak as necessary, thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, rosteven1 said:

Hi BIGNEWY,

I tried running the logman stop HolographicShell -ets command via Win 11 CMD Prompt (as Sys Admin) and I get a "Data Collector Set was not found" error.  Is the HolographicShell only used in Win 11 Insider Preview release?

Thanks

do you have the latest 2h22 windows 11 update? I should have mentioned that also

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Same problem for me, huge FPS loss with the update, from 45-50's down to 25-35. All of the performance I got out of upgrading to OpenVR/OpenComposite has vanished. Wasn't there talk of ED maybe supporting OpenVR or OpenXR, or something other than SteamVR?

I was able to execute that command line by running cmd.exe in Admin mode. So I will see how it performs next time I'm in the game.

1 hour ago, Antix70 said:

Same problem for me, huge FPS loss with the update, from 45-50's down to 25-35. All of the performance I got out of upgrading to OpenVR/OpenComposite has vanished. Wasn't there talk of ED maybe supporting OpenVR or OpenXR, or something other than SteamVR?

I was able to execute that command line by running cmd.exe in Admin mode. So I will see how it performs next time I'm in the game.

You never upgraded to OpenVR. DCS is already compliant with OpenVR. You used OpenComposite to utilise OpenXR 

1080ti, 8700K o/c to stable 5.0ghz, 64gb ram, ssd.

I went from 40-45 fps with shadows on, Ssao, sslr etc all on and global cockpit illumination on 2.7

to 18-24 fps with shadows off (except terrain object to flat) ssao/lr etc all off and lower clouds/textures and no global cockpit illumination. 

This is unacceptable. Z-depth on shadows isn’t the only problem. 

The patch hotfix, understanding it wasn't a "be-all" repair job, has resulted in the same FPS issues for me. 

It takes 6 seconds to load cockpit textures, and 10 seconds to load ground textures (replacing the sea) in any particular mission. Earlier this year they'd both pretty much load up instantly.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

I've noticed that if you load a mission where you don't need to choose a slot then it doesn't take any time to load at all. As soon as you need to choose a slot it results in a long texture load, about 3-5 seconds for me typically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, edmuss said:

I've noticed that if you load a mission where you don't need to choose a slot then it doesn't take any time to load at all. As soon as you need to choose a slot it results in a long texture load, about 3-5 seconds for me typically.

Interesting...

With a fresh install of Windows 11 (and all the Windows tricks from Thud enabled) and a fresh install of 2.8, im having to significantly turn down settings to get a suitable experience in MP.  I’ve turned off all shadows and reverted to the VR settings tab and still have issues.  During 2.7 I had a lot of settings turned up quite high and it ran quite nicely in MP.  It runs okay in single player Instant Action as long as I turn shadows off, but horribly in MP. 
My computer: i9-12900K, 32 GB RAM, 3080Ti, Valve Index.

Let's hope for an update. In contrast to many others is in had increased performance when 2.8 was released so I guess something changed that really helped (my oculus).

It was gone with the patch and I had turn things back down too.

Just imagine what happens with multi core. We might see close to similar performance as 2d. I like that thought!!

1 hour ago, dutchili said:

Let's hope for an update. In contrast to many others is in had increased performance when 2.8 was released so I guess something changed that really helped (my oculus).

It was gone with the patch and I had turn things back down too.

Just imagine what happens with multi core. We might see close to similar performance as 2d. I like that thought!!

Hopefully we'll get an update on multicore and Vulkan and all that goodness soon.

I just noticed that F18->Training->Taxi and Takeoff gives me around 37 FPS whereas F18->Instant Action->Caucasus->Cold and Dark gives me 50+ in FPS

Could it be the Clouds? Otherwise it may be the scripting of the training. Same aircraft and map

13 minutes ago, jonfog said:

I just noticed that F18->Training->Taxi and Takeoff gives me around 37 FPS whereas F18->Instant Action->Caucasus->Cold and Dark gives me 50+ in FPS

Could it be the Clouds? Otherwise it may be the scripting of the training. Same aircraft and map

It’s those ground objects on the airport.  Parked jets can be quite performance taxing (you can check CPU and GPU frametimes while running if you want to be specific).  Once you’re up in the air it should be much better.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I've stopped flying for the moment as the choppy nature in VR, for me at least, is pretty unbearable. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 2:19 AM, C3PO said:

I've stopped flying for the moment as the choppy nature in VR, for me at least, is pretty unbearable. 

I'm just about there, myself.  It's really bad right now.  In a busy MP server I wouldn't have a high framerate but it would be relatively smooth and definitely doable, targets could be tracked while rolling around and such.  Now it is a choppy slideshow that is impossible to function in, and it was the Caucuses map (one of the better performing maps).  I am REALLY looking forward to the long-awaited engine upgrades!  Good luck fixing the issues and getting framerates/frametimes back where they should be, devs, and even more luck updating the engine!

Edited by Eclipse
detail

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant

Hi @BIGNEWY

made some more tests, and here are the results, helped by @edmuss , for a 12600k, 4090, 64GB and reverb G2, on openXR with fresh new Win 11 install and last nvidia drivers.

Settings on HIGH, just playing with terrain shadows. Made all tests twice to be sure. And perf track is disabled of course.

image.png

As we can see, we have a lost of performance between 2.7 and 2.8, even without shadows, around 0.5ms of GPU, nothing on CPU.

The real problem is with shadows, on 2.7 we can see that flat shadows costs just a little (0.4ms) where it costs a lot more in 2.8 (1.5ms !!).

And the total lost for default shadows from 2.7 to 2.8 is more than 20% for me.

Hope it can help and you will be able to find something in your team, if I could contribute don't hesitate !

Thanks a lot

Edited by dureiken
  • Like 2

• ED Team
35 minutes ago, dureiken said:

Hi @BIGNEWY

made some more tests, and here are the results, helped by @edmuss , for a 12600k, 4090, 64GB and reverb G2, on openXR with fresh new Win 11 install and last nvidia drivers.

Settings on HIGH, just playing with terrain shadows. Made all tests twice to be sure. And perf track is disabled of course.

image.png

As we can see, we have a lost of performance between 2.7 and 2.8, even without shadows, around 0.5ms of GPU, nothing on CPU.

The real problem is with shadows, on 2.7 we can see that flat shadows costs just a little (0.4ms) where it costs a lot more in 2.8 (1.5ms !!).

And the total lost for default shadows from 2.7 to 2.8 is more than 20% for me.

Hope it can help and you will be able to find something in your team, if I could contribute don't hesitate !

Thanks a lot

Thanks, we are looking into the shadow theory currently. 

regarding windows 11 are you disabling the windows VR logging?

In admin command prompt use

and press return, it may save you some frames. 

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thanks, we are looking into the shadow theory currently. 

regarding windows 11 are you disabling the windows VR logging?

In admin command prompt use

and press return, it may save you some frames. 

yes of course as I said : " perf track is disabled of course"

it's unplaybale with the logging

would have liked it comes from that, but seems not 😞

really hope you will find something, because it's a really hard impact on our VR perfs

I've just finished running some back to back testing specifically on the three terrain shadows settings for corroboration.

Rolled back to 2.7.18.30765 and recorded a short track flying over Beirut in the A10.  Replayed the track with each terrain shadow setting and all others as per my normal config.

Updated to 2.8.0.33006 and repeated the three tests.

image.png

There is some performance lost between OB's which is to be expected with the new lighting. The main issue is with the flat shadows now incurring a much larger performance penalty than they did, 1ms of lost frametime, presumably due to the soft edges? @BIGNEWY are the soft edges intentional on the current flat shadows or are they meant to be hard as per 2.7?

My personal preference would be to retain the option to use the same hard edged shadows as 2.7 or perhaps be able to seperate the default/flat/hard/soft into different options?

• Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.