v1.2 Market Research Poll - Ka-50 or no?

v1.2 Market Research Poll - Ka-50 or no?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. v1.2 Market Research Poll - Ka-50 or no?

• am happy with the existing list of flyable aircraft. I would rather buy v1.2 if it did NOT include any new flyable aircraft.
    • A new paid-for add-on like v1.2 requires a new flyable aircraft. I would not buy v1.2 unless it had a flyable Ka-50.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhm ... Jane's LongBow 2? ;)

Longbow 2 was a game not a simulator. Easy flight model, weapons were way too "good", target ID was automatic and etc. So yes, it was a good game, but not a simulator.

Just think about real Longbow performace in the last Golf war and military confrotation over Jugoslavia.

In golf war, the first Longbow kill was a friendly kill!

Longbow helicopters could not even fly over Yugoslavia! You remember, two of them crashed in exercises over Albania! The only airman casulties in Yugoslavia were those of the Longbow that crashed while trying to fly over complicated terein over Albania!

So, flying a helicopter is a real chalange!

:toimonst: Longbow 2 was a Helicopter simulator, lets see a better helo sim?Longbow 2 is currently the worlds best Apache Sim with a better campaign than even Lockon has. The Apache has 500 tank kills, currently running 2nd to the A-10 with 1000. Flying helos is extremely dangerous, particularly when you fly as low as these guys. Just cause 2 collide doesn't mean the terrain is too difficult otherwise it would have been 2 aircraft crash into a hill would make more sense. At the moment the Apache is King of all helos when it comes to its job. They are very good at it in the right hands and most of those guys have the right stuff to do the job.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

I fly LOMAC for the multiplayer experience, and I don't see the Ka-50 bringing anything wonderful to that arena... unless it was a big chopper coop--which doesn't really interest me either.

A dedicated server with plenty of tools.

Really, really solid net code. ;)

AFM for all aircraft.

Improved navigation aids, such as a manually adjustable CDI needle.

A flyable F/A-18 Hornet (ya right!).

LOMAC is already the best looking modern flight-sim out there, however there are plenty of other areas in which it could stand a good deal of improvement.

I agree with most of your points! Very valid! The navaids, such as a fully functional INS system for the Nato planes (which you have to reset and keep configured). But if some of you are thinking about VOR's etc, you wont find them in a warzone.. or if you do, can you trust them? But other than that, CDI needle etc stuff that works, and you can adjust would be superb.

And again.. the Hornet.. who wouldn't want to see that in the sim.. <-- not a question but a rhetorical statement.

Beautiful graphics, lets get the rest of the sim fixed too!

-Thomp

355th_THOMP.jpg

Answering the topic state

I will buy 1.2 whatever it has inside. Ill thrust Eagle Dynamics on this matter.

Wipe out Dynamic Campaigns and new flyables apart. As it was stated earlier in this topic, the Ka-50 will be the new flyable because it has the same sensors and other electronic systems like the Su-25T.

It a very smart aproach from ED. This way they will make the Ka-50 without using too many resources. Sure it will require a proprer physics systems, some new objects for Helo landings, and other things like that, which are proper of a Helo Sim.

But anyway, we will probably get a dedicated server app. I cannot speak for ED, but they will have more than time to do that, I believe. (maybe im wrong)

just for the record...

i voted NO -- but I think the post is flawed

i'll buy whatever ED puts out

but I *seriously* prefer western flyables

its fine if they introduce alternating western/eastern aircraft - fine

but I would rather ED didn't do two eastern in a row

you know how to catch big fish? fish where the big fish are

isn't the US market the largest? why don't they appeal to the US market?

release the HORNET! i've seen good posts above making good points about why the f-18 is the preferable choice

:)

you know, i would go so far as to say - release the hornet (its a light strike fighter - missing on the western mix of flyables) and make all the russian/eastern jets you want after that.

the west will have a-a, a-g (slow), and strike (a-a/a-g) - a near perfect mix

that's all we need!

after that - go crazy w/ all the russian hardware you want

knock yourself out

the west will be happy...

It has already been explained MANY times that

a) The hornet, or any other aircraft that uses MFDs or is a two seater, will NOT be modelled in LOMAC.

b) No, the US market is NOT the largest.

c) ED is operating in the RUSSIAN market.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Re: just for the record...

you know how to catch big fish? fish where the big fish are

Sure but what if you're not allowed to get to the pond? ;)

[quote[isn't the US market the largest? why don't they appeal to the US market?

No publisher in the US or anywhere outside of the CIS countries. 1C will distribute the two addons there, which should make it the biggest market for now by quite a margin - although I agree that there's probably still more money to be made in the rest of the world, primarily Europe and the US. But only with a publisher that gets it to the market, and after Ubi bugged out there is none.

Maybe Battlefront might be interested to publish future ED products, but those will have to carry a different name - Lock On is still Ubi's brand in the west.

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

It's interesting that the majority responding to the poll favor the Ka-50 over other improvements, but the majority of written responses express the opposite.

I wonder if those who favor the Ka-50 might similarly elaborate on their views a little.

Myself, I look at the 700,000 copies that Falcon 4 sold without any flyable helicopters, and I have difficulty believing that the lack of a Ka-50 is really what is preventing Lock On from reaching this level of success.

Setting aside the question of how long it's been since the last helo sim - What quality of helicopters do people believe will sell Lock On? What do people like in helo sims, that they don't get from jet sims? For me, it seems to be a Su-25T that takes off vertically, nothing more. But I'm afraid the amount of work it will take to implement this will block other possible improvements.

We should also remember that ED has NO plans for Lock On after v1.2 - Once they add the Ka-50, we may not see another sim from them for years. Like it or not, the addition of the Ka-50 will make Lock On as close to perfect as we can ever hope to see it.

-SK

It's interesting that the majority responding to the poll favor the Ka-50 over other improvements, but the majority of written responses express the opposite.

That only demonstrates how these forum polls usually work. Many of the people who participate in forum polls vote at a glance without bothering to read up on the details of what they're voting on.

Most people really only see: "Want a new aircraft?"

So they answer "YES PLEASE!"

Forum polls are good for getting an idea of what the general consensus of readers is, but they should never be relied on as being representative of the whole.

Play Hard - Play Fair

Squadron Leader "DedCat"

169th Panthers - http://www.169thpanthers.net

It has already been explained MANY times that

a) The hornet, or any other aircraft that uses MFDs or is a two seater, will NOT be modelled in LOMAC.

b) No, the US market is NOT the largest.

c) ED is operating in the RUSSIAN market.

Agree in all of your points

the Ka-50 will be the next flyable..the reason are already posted here in the forun

We will not see the HORNET as a flyable in Lock on....MAYBE in the next project

ED will not invest in a sim if they cant sell it in any place (UBI rigths in US market)

The next logical step is to Start a "NEW" one project using a less expensive distribution method (ie. Already in test with lock on :wink: )

cya

Rodrigo Monteiro

sorry for my poor english

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

I wonder if those who favor the Ka-50 might similarly elaborate on their views a little.

I vote for B....IMHO a bether avionics, AFM to all flyables, weapons behavior, AI improvements are the way to go...BUT it im no ED :?

Setting aside the question of how long it's been since the last helo sim - What quality of helicopters do people believe will sell Lock On? What do people like in helo sims, that they don't get from jet sims? For me, it seems to be a Su-25T that takes off vertically, nothing more. But I'm afraid the amount of work it will take to implement this will block other possible improvements.

Agree

We should also remember that ED has NO plans for Lock On after v1.2 - Once they add the Ka-50, we may not see another sim from them for years.

Man you made me cry with this last argument i was trying forget about that .....I CANT WAIT 3 more years for the next project ....PLZ RELEASE THE DEMO FOR THE NEXT ON NOW !!!! :P

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

Knowing that ED has limited resources for the farther development of the LOCON series it makes it so much more important to pick right aircraft as an addition to a list of available flyables…

Would they choose to pick either one (not even both) – F-16 or F-18 – game would have considerably greater incentives to upgrade for the new and old LOCON players alike. This would simply kept the name ED as a company continuously developing desirable addition to the game, building and incising supporters base. Selecting Ka-50 was a mistake, in this respect. There wasn’t demand for it even in Russia to have it added to the games’ list of flyables…

ED proclaimed that they do not have enough info to accurately model either one of F-16 or F-18, but can they at list make “educated guesses”? Obviously first incarnations of other flyable fighters weren’t “exactly” on the mark, but we all bought the game nevertheless…

You can do more with a kind word and a gun, than with just kind word alone.

- Al Capone

I love helo sims more then even flying planes and i would love to see the ka-50 in lockon. Especially with the quality of the of the FM and designs of the other fly-ables in lock-on im sure ED will make Ka-50 just aswell and it will be the best Sim Helo made to date.

Helo's require a completely different style of play then a jet, different tactics with advantages & dis-advantages, some like-some dont, each to thier own. Also with such advanced jet mechanics + players in the game against you, piloting a Ka-50 sucessfully would be a great challenge, especially online. I do believe alot of people would love it.

1 question though, read through some of the links at the bottom of the new manual and when reading about the ka-50 it stated there are 2 variants.

Ka-50A/HOKUM A: Standard direct air support variant.

Ka-50N/HOKUM N: Night attack variant fitted with a nose-mounted FLIR. The cockpit is fitted with an additional TV display, and is NVG compatible.

Anyone know which 1 is been put into lock-on?,

it seems the Ka-50n would probably be the most fun :) so i hope its that.

I see this v1.2 as breaking new ground. It hasn't really been done before properly and if done the right way will double EDs sales as you're recruiting the hardcore helo sim pilots. These guys will have the option of either flying with the fast jet pilots on the battlefield or on their own server without the hassle of airthreats from online players. The idea of adding ground vehicles as well also brings in the tank simmers so the sales will increase by alot if its successful. Even if the campaign is the same as lockons the online experience alone will make it very popular. As for waiting for the new project, we all have to be patient and it will be worth it. They are halfway there already when you think about it in terms of 3d models, terrain objects. If they decided just to recreate Falcon in their own engine I'd say it would probably work well. A Hornet though would be much more unique either way it sounds good.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

IMHO, a good absolutely ready and WELL done version with all AFM's, all available optimizations, and so on= is the main thing ppl want from ED...

If the ED ALSO can make that ka50, go ahead, guys!!! Your country (and many many others:D ) wont forget your great work anyway.

But main are optimisations, afm's......... and no bugs, of course...

didn't know that Tharos - i don't follow lock-on like i used to

SK - i think the poll is flawed - kind of a false dillemma (know what i mean?)

just thinking about it...

no jets w/ MFDs???

well, that pretty much limits it, doesn't it?

F-14s don't have MFDs (the old ones)

oops - no two-seaters in lomac!

shucks

don't get me wrong - ED's a great outfit and LOMAC is a great game - i think its a classic (if not in sales, unfortunately, in my heart - for whatever that's worth), but they're going to have to turn a corner, technologically

they're going to have to be able to handle MFDs - no doubt about it

other devs have cracked that nut - these guys can, too

after all, the name of the sim is "...MODERN air combat"

One thing has to be remembered. You don't just make a helo sim by simply adding a controllable helo to a jetsim. That just wont work, you will be stuck with a helo in a jetsim.

You have to programm a wide array of AI to allow your wingmen to employ helo specific tactics ( and we still don't have A-10 using CAS tactics... ) or if you only want a "light" simulation at least a basic helicopter AI. You have to enhance the ground war aspects to do justice for the usual close work between helos and ground forces. That alone would be a monumental task, as a helo simulator basicaly needs an underlaying armored combat simulation. Then interaction between helo and those ground forces ( FACs, artillery strikes etc. ). FARPs and helicopter bases additionaly for the usual airbases. Better ground graphics ( especially the trees ). For fighters and CAS planes Lock Ons terran looks excellent, but if you hoover some meters behind the trees, things look a bit different.

I am quite inexperienced with helicopter sims, so I am sure the hardcore helo freaks will have thousend things to add. So to make LOMAC a real helicopter simulation, much effort and resources would have to be spent. And looking at EDs past records, I fear that 1.2 won't be a helo sim, but simply will feature a VTOL Su-25T ( good wording SwingKid ).

Other companys had their hands full with 'helo only' sims in the golden age of flightsims, so I wonder why ED should be able to deliver a combined air superiority/CAS/helicopter simulation in the current times.

ED has TENTATIVELY mentioned that they would liek to go on to make more hardcore sims - clickable pits, more modern aircraft (MiG-29SMT2 for example, Su-27SM, F-15E, F-16 etc) so they will liekly be working on that after 1.2.

As for 1.2, I think we're going to see some big changes in LOMAC with that. Don't forget that because of the physics engine already being all-encompassing, adding a helo is not much different from adding 'another plane' conceptually - yeah, the AI eeds to be tweaked for this. I believe that this tweaking has already started with 1.1.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

With the AI of fighters and attack aircraft (i.e. types of aircraft already modelled in L-O) still not at a level where it should be, I don't personally think it wise to start trying to start a project programming new AI for helicopters and ground vehicles basically from scratch. No offense to anyone, especially not ED, but in a lot of aspects, but it's going to take a lot more than just a little randomization in reaction time feature of AI units to achieve the desired affect. For example, it doesn't matter if the AI breaks left one second early or two seconds late to evade an Alamo - it's still ALWAYS going to break left.

No variety at all.

sigzk5.jpg

SK - i think the poll is flawed - kind of a false dillemma (know what i mean?)

Not really...

I'm not sure the news has filtered through correctly from the Russian-language forums. It's not a question of MFDs or two-seaters or anything like that, but rather, that Lock On is "finished". ED has pushed the engine as far as it can go, and it's time to start an entirely new sim. It is the natural consequence of some of the improvements we have been asking for, that cannot be properly supported by the existing engine, and need to be designed into the architecture from the start. The Ka-50 (and Su-25T) are exceptions because they can be supported by the existing engine - in fact, even more easily than in an all-new engine, since the Su-25 and Shkval avionics are already done. If everybody in the world would refuse to buy v1.2 unless it had a flyable other than the Ka-50, then ED would simply cancel v1.2, and get started on the next sim, which would support that new flyable.

I don't mean to make wsoul2k or anyone else "cry", I just want to know that when v1.2 comes out, it has as much built-in replay value as possible, because we will be stuck with it for a long time, and I think there are better ways to make a jet sim re-playable than by turning it into a helicopter sim. I want to make sure there isn't anything else, non-flyable, that we could trade the Ka-50 in for.

So, I consdier "Ka-50 or no Ka-50" to be the true dilemma, and all conversations about other flyables, as concerns v1.2, to be playing make-believe. The real question is whether anyone would even buy an add-on that didn't have a new flyable. Andy Hollis' Flashpoint Korea add-on for Longbow provided many improvements but no new flyables, and was considered unsuccessful, but I think Falcon 3.0's Operation Fighting Tiger theater expansion did better. It's a serious question worth researching.

If all else fails, this poll will show us who to point the fingers at when v1.2 is finally released. :wink:

-SK