Quest Pro, best?

TZeer

30 minutes ago, vladimusmaximus said:

So been wondering about this myself. This has been my experience with the headsets + DCS

Quest 2
- Terrible resolution (very hard to read text/gauges).
- Needed a lot of super-res.
- Link was mediocre, even at high settings just didn't work very well.
- Battery life sucked; battery discharged faster /w link and did not re-charge with it plugged in.
- Amazing tracking.
- Worked pretty well with Virtual Desktop.

Reverb G2/v2
- Really solid sweet spot resolution.
- Horrible resolution outside of the terrible sweet spot (blurry mess)
- Worst tracking imaginable.
- Hated the thick cable, would drive me nuts and be a constant annoyance.

I have sold both, honestly the experience just kinda sucked. Although G2 was generally better for flight sims than the Quest 2.

I have now pre-ordered the Pico 4, but am considering just cancelling it and buying the Quest Pro off amazon to try it for 30 days 🙂

Since I now got the same performance with the Quest Pro as G2 (45fps) I'm really happy with it. The display is really really great. Can't wait for VR optician lens inserts and full light blocker though. I would reccomend you to try it for 30days 🙂

• Thanks 1

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

13 minutes ago, vladimusmaximus said:

Which link cable did you use? I was using the official one and it was ass.

https://eu.vrcover.com/collections/usb-c-cable-for-oculus™-quest-2/products/premium-usb-c-cable-for-oculus™-quest-2-2m

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

On 11/5/2022 at 10:23 AM, Willdass said:

Since I now got the same performance with the Quest Pro as G2 (45fps) I'm really happy with it. The display is really really great. Can't wait for VR optician lens inserts and full light blocker though. I would reccomend you to try it for 30days 🙂

How would you compare quest pro to g2 display?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vladimusmaximus said:

How would you compare quest pro to g2 display?

Different league, both in clarity and comfort. No eyestrain and all cockpits are very sharp all across the whole FOV ( also bigger FOV than G2), colors are better but long distance objects is a bit lower with my settings (10+ NM). The ability to scan instruments with my eyes when looking outside in a dogfight vs having to move my head back into the cockpit and align the center of the G2 to the instrument, this is a game changer!

Objects in the distance is a bit lower quality due to the lower resolution, when comparing to the center point of the G2. Though I have not played around much with SS. I run the Quest Pro at 4224 x2128 per eye now and got 60fps in a WW2 SP mission. Hoping to push the SS and or PD up more when (if) I get my 4090 soon...

On another note, all my comfort issues were solved by flipping the rear pad, this relived most pressure on my forehead. Very comfortable now.

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

How long does the battery last playing DCS, and does it charge during the wired mode like the Quest 2?  I’m trying to encourage a friend to get one so I can try it out.  Probably won’t buy it myself since it’s expensive and my current headset is pretty good, but the newer techs such as pancake lens, mixed reality, camera on controllers seem pretty cool.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

4 minutes ago, Supmua said:

How long does the battery last playing DCS, and does it charge during the wired mode like the Quest 2?  I’m trying to encourage a friend to get one so I can try it out.  Probably won’t buy it myself since it’s expensive and my current headset is pretty good, but the newer techs such as pancake lens, mixed reality, camera on controllers seem pretty cool.

Battery life is not the best. Wireless you probably get max 2 hours in DCS. I'm using the Meta Link Cable connected to the PC which helps, but the power output from the MB is not enough to keep the headset charged. It will slowly discharge. By my estimates so far it's around 3-5 hours in DCS ( I have not that long sessions yet, but it's based on estimates), but I very rarely play more than 3 hours non stop in VR so it's not that big of a deal to me.

I've read that some use a powered USB adapter, so providing external power while still being connected to the MB. Not sure how that effects transfer speeds though.

Mixed reality is pretty cool and the Oculus software is soo much better and easier to use than WMR that I actually use the headset for other things than DCS (Youtube, twitch, movies). Feels like sitting in a movie theater.

• Like 1

Played a 55min session now and went from 99-82 % battery which would give about 5,5 hours 100-0. 

It might be even better if you don't use the built in speakers. I will test this at a later date. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TZeer said:

I had Quest 2 before I changed to G2. Does the FOV trick work with Quest Pro as well? 

And have you tried FSR on it?

Not sure which FOV trick you are referring to. I have not changed any FOV settings in ODT/OTT. What improved my FOV and comfort was flipping the rear pad so the back of the headset sits higher.

No, I have not tried FSR yet. I have pretty good performance now, since I turned off ASW. Slightly better than I had with the G2 (Open Composite and OpenXR) and same DCS settings. Might give the VRperfkit a try.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Willdass said:

Played a 55min session now and went from 99-82 % battery which would give about 5,5 hours 100-0. 

It might be even better if you don't use the built in speakers. I will test this at a later date. 

How about disabling face and eye tracking? Those have no use for DCS anyway.

1 hour ago, cordite said:

How about disabling face and eye tracking? Those have no use for DCS anyway.

I have disabled those, have also disabled all USB power saving settings in device manager for both ports and devices.  I did get better charging with a type C to type A adapter. Not sure why that works better for me (Asus X570-F motherboard)...  I'm in talks with Meta support since it seems that my discharge rate is higher than others. I will post here if it gets resolved.

Got mine Yesterday & tried it
I did one back & forth with G2 for fun.
I will update this the second, I manage a 3hours flight with my 'Squadron'

Installation
Easy, It just work, Unlike Windows Mix reality - Open XR 
The UI is in need of a Refresh for PCVR, but it works.

Comfort
Personally, I find the Quest Pro way more comfortable to wear for 3 hours. (Headshape dependent)
It is very well balanced.
**I notice after 4 hours strait, coming out of VR, I don't feel like I'm coming back from a other dimension, Big plus
The G2 was a bit more stable in your face.
The no blinder to me is a major plus as I like to read chart & stuff with a table & the Peep hole in the G2 was a pain. This comes down to personal preference.
The Dock station is actually very good to keep everything in the same spot.

Visual
With the following
Bit rate set at 500mb/s , ***960mb/s seems to to wonder for the 90hz (lower setting)
Slider in Oculus set to max @ 90hz, *** I reverted to 2160 vertical pixel, texture were just mediocre in the test cockpit & spotting was harder for nothing.
Bought the 100$ Usb-C fiber cable from Meta (In their defence the quality of the cable is stellar)
After 3 hours, I don't feel like I was coming for a other dimension when I got out of it - BIG plus

Like mentioned in other reviews, It's clear ACROSS THE Lens (The entire thing)  - Massive plus IMO - Specially in the F-14
That alone is very likely what's going to sell it for me.
The Resolution is a nudge Lower on center vs Reverb G2 (spotting in Air to Air is Miles better)
Going back in forth is Hard to go to the G2 because you really notice your eye can't move around at all.
FOV is a A nudge wider but Wider never the less

Tracking
Like every Oculus, Rift , Quest Product it's FLAWLESS. (G2 was ok but had some problem depending on the environment)

Performance
I updated to 2.8 before trying both so take that with a grain of salt.
Reverb G2 ASW / Retro off seems to be a bit better because of Open XR....
That being said the Quest Pro with ASW 45fps is way way smoother & has almost no Artifact. (My GPU is running harder with the Quest Pro Go figure)

Price
Is it worth 1500 usd.
Yes & no
Personally, I think it's a cool package, but they are delusional that people with work in this all day or most of the day.
The PC 3 screen setup is actually Nice.
The passthrough is mediocre but functional.
The controller are seriously impressive. (I always liked Oculus controller but this is a step above everything I've seen)
It's also not a hassle to plug in, 1 USB-C that's it. unlike the HP Contraption of power brick & cables.
No DP Cable that's going to snap or break for no reason every 12 months is nice.
They could've done more but I guarantee you the finance department got into it put a stop to a bunch of features before it got out of hand.

***The BAD & The Ugly
Battery life could be better or at least hold charge better like the quest 2 did.
They really need to find the settings for PCVR inhouse & let everyone know what a 4090,3090,3080 etc can do.
No 120hz (To run at 60 with motion reprojection was a Charm on the quest 2)
Major update needed to the oculus software, it's functional but dated.
The integrated speaker are mediocre but functional.
The Sold separately ear buds are ok 

Bottom line, Addition  the Swine flue 2020 & the scared little kitten, Over ballooned Tech market, Uncontrolled spending, Monetary devaluation, Eurozone that pretend they still are a entity that matter to any level.
Your BUYING POWER IS <profanity>, you will not see a other headset below 800-900 USD ever. (Get used to it)

The next best thing for me was Varjo Aero & 5000$ CAD (Bases + taxes) vs (Quest Pro was 2300$ CAD)
I will very likely keep it & sell my Reverb G2

5800x3D + NH-D15
64GB 4x16GB 3200 CL16 Ram 
3090 FTW3 Ultra (slight OC) - Waiting for a 4090 FE to exist in Canada
3TB M.2 SSD 

Edited by Obic
  • Like 3

Great review @Obic ! I’m curious, how much battery did you have left after 3 hours while using the link cable? And what resolution in oculus do you run?

edit: misread, saw now that you had the oculus resolution slider set to max. Ignore my last question.

Edited by Willdass

On Airlink
About 3 1/2 hours, I almost got motion Sick from Pavlov testing this for myself.

With the link Cable
I'm losing 15% per Hour in Average
I'm supposed to do a deep strike this weekend, I'll report after .

** open xr downloaded **
72hz + 1.3x  is my baseline for resolution after some back & forth with the reverb G2.

I find it hard to go back to the G2 for the first 30minutes because of the lenses.

Edited by Obic

Any mirror/in-headset video?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 3 months later...

A little late to this party but I've just ordered the Quest Pro (here's to hoping the 30 day return policy holds up if I don't like it). What software are people running on their PCs to get this to work? I've pre-empted delivery and installed the Oculus Tray Tool but for the life of my I can't figure out if I need to install something else. The last Meta/Oculus product I had was the Rift S, do I use the same software as that?

Edited by obious

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

10 hours ago, obious said:

A little late to this party but I've just ordered the Quest Pro (here's to hoping the 30 day return policy holds up if I don't like it). What software are people running on their PCs to get this to work? I've pre-empted delivery and installed the Oculus Tray Tool but for the life of my I can't figure out if I need to install something else. The last Meta/Oculus product I had was the Rift S, do I use the same software as that?

Excited for you! It's a very good HMD (even though I returned it within 30 days). 
You don't really need anything else, besides the Oculus software. Oculus is pretty plug and play. OTT is nice but I had issues with it, It wouldn't always auto enable the profile I had configured, which was the only reason I had to use it.

2 hours ago, Willdass said:

Excited for you! It's a very good HMD (even though I returned it within 30 days). 
You don't really need anything else, besides the Oculus software. Oculus is pretty plug and play. OTT is nice but I had issues with it, It wouldn't always auto enable the profile I had configured, which was the only reason I had to use it.

Interesting. Where did you buy from? I had to buy mine directly from Meta here in the UK so I'm hoping that they handle returns as well as Amazon. I notice in your profile that you've got a Varjo Aero. How is that? I've heard great thinks about clarity but also heard that the FOV leaves a lot to be desired. 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

8 hours ago, obious said:

Interesting. Where did you buy from? I had to buy mine directly from Meta here in the UK so I'm hoping that they handle returns as well as Amazon. I notice in your profile that you've got a Varjo Aero. How is that? I've heard great thinks about clarity but also heard that the FOV leaves a lot to be desired. 

I also bought straight from Meta, quick shipping both to me and the return. I saved all the packaging in very good condition so had no trouble getting the refund. Had my money back within a few days of they receiving it, very top notch service there!

TBH I like the Varjo quite a bit more, even though the QP have better lenses, and the FOV is better. Clarity is a big thing for me, and even though the QP is extremely crisp inside the cockpit, everything outside was a downgrade compared to the G2. I also suffered a lot from ghosting and the Oculus ASW did not cooperate well with me, always turns it self on and I like to play without. Battery life was also an issue for me. Even with a Link Cable it drained quite fast, max I could get was about 4 hours. I don't often play more than that in one sitting, but battery status was not something I wanted to think about when flying.

The Aero has insane clarity and a pretty big sweet spot ( but not edge to edge clear as the QP), much more comfortable to wear, get good performance, no ghosting, great detail on distant objects. FOV is a bit small in the vertical but its not really a big issue for me.

If I used a VR headset for anything other than DCS I might have kept the QP, as its a better all around headset for gaming and productivity, but the Aero fit my needs much better.

• Like 3

Got it. Thanks for the write up. Mine arrives next week but I'll be sure to keep the packaging as you've given me a lot of food for thought. Is the Aero as plug and play as other devices or does it need as much tinkering as the Pico 4? 

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

8 hours ago, obious said:

Got it. Thanks for the write up. Mine arrives next week but I'll be sure to keep the packaging as you've given me a lot of food for thought. Is the Aero as plug and play as other devices or does it need as much tinkering as the Pico 4? 

Glad to be of help!

Very little tinkering with the Aero if you use OpenXR like me, a few minutes. Even less if you don’t. Basically plug and play.

• 3 months later...

If anyone is still considering one and want some more v reverb g2 feedback ;

I've never been able to get clarity in the distant objects or terrain regardless of any resolution settings or cable bitrate. The G2 still wins this easily

DCS looks a bit cartoon-ish due to the heavy sharpening the quest pro applies. I've disabled sharpening using the OTT which helped with this and it's also reduced some aliasing on the terrain. The cockpit looks terrific. I'm still unable to reduce the overall aliasing to match my current G2 characteristics unless I set the SS and bitrate to a level that noticeably affects the FPS, even on the rtx4090

Oddly, I find the very centre of the lenses slightly less sharp than the peripheral areas. We have 3 quest pros and they all behave the same way.

I've modified the G2 face padding which provides the same horizontal FOV and larger vertical FOV than the quest pro with the quest pro face plate at it's minimal eye-to-lens distance setting. However, tilting the quest pro forward (raising the back strap a fair bit) so that it sits on the ridge of the nose, regains a lot of vertical FOV and slightly improves the clarity right across the lens. To me, it seems meta have wasted a lot of vertical FOV potential with the lenses at their current angle. Maybe it's just the shape of my face 🙂

There was a question asked above about increasing FOV by pushing the headset closer to the eyes like one can with the G2. Unfortunately it doesn't make much difference on the quest pro if you've already set the faceplate to it's minimal lens-to-eye setting. Tilting it forward does help with vertical FOV and overall clarity

The headset tracking is somehow affected by my rig. I'm not sure if it's the led lighting in the flight controllers, the close proximity of the UFC to the front of the headset or something else, but it causes the stationary boundary to change and the headset becomes jumpy. Away from the rig the headset is perfect, as are the hand controllers

The quest pro is a little heavier than the G2

The battery drains even with the link cable attached. 

There is noticeable screen door effect. It's somewhere between Quest 1 and Quest 2 in appearance.

I haven't yet experimented with eyetracked foveated rendering unless DCS is employing it automatically?

The clarity right across the lens is almost perfect as everyone has already praised it for

The built in strap speakers are far better than I was expecting. A big step up over quest 2 imo.

Am 13.6.2023 um 03:24 schrieb Dogmanbird:

If anyone is still considering one and want some more v reverb g2 feedback ;

I've never been able to get clarity in the distant objects or terrain regardless of any resolution settings or cable bitrate. The G2 still wins this easily

DCS looks a bit cartoon-ish due to the heavy sharpening the quest pro applies. I've disabled sharpening using the OTT which helped with this and it's also reduced some aliasing on the terrain. The cockpit looks terrific. I'm still unable to reduce the overall aliasing to match my current G2 characteristics unless I set the SS and bitrate to a level that noticeably affects the FPS, even on the rtx4090

Oddly, I find the very centre of the lenses slightly less sharp than the peripheral areas. We have 3 quest pros and they all behave the same way.

I've modified the G2 face padding which provides the same horizontal FOV and larger vertical FOV than the quest pro with the quest pro face plate at it's minimal eye-to-lens distance setting. However, tilting the quest pro forward (raising the back strap a fair bit) so that it sits on the ridge of the nose, regains a lot of vertical FOV and slightly improves the clarity right across the lens. To me, it seems meta have wasted a lot of vertical FOV potential with the lenses at their current angle. Maybe it's just the shape of my face 🙂

There was a question asked above about increasing FOV by pushing the headset closer to the eyes like one can with the G2. Unfortunately it doesn't make much difference on the quest pro if you've already set the faceplate to it's minimal lens-to-eye setting. Tilting it forward does help with vertical FOV and overall clarity

The headset tracking is somehow affected by my rig. I'm not sure if it's the led lighting in the flight controllers, the close proximity of the UFC to the front of the headset or something else, but it causes the stationary boundary to change and the headset becomes jumpy. Away from the rig the headset is perfect, as are the hand controllers

The quest pro is a little heavier than the G2

The battery drains even with the link cable attached. 

There is noticeable screen door effect. It's somewhere between Quest 1 and Quest 2 in appearance.

I haven't yet experimented with eyetracked foveated rendering unless DCS is employing it automatically?

The clarity right across the lens is almost perfect as everyone has already praised it for

The built in strap speakers are far better than I was expecting. A big step up over quest 2 imo.

Some thoughts in response:

- "Clarity" (or do you mean sharpness?) is way better with QPro. Sharpness is ~90% of G2's tiny Sweetspot over nearly the whole FOV. Colors are much better. Brightness is better. Local dimming is great.

- Too much OXR Toolkit sharpening together with Quests Link sharpening is too much, yes.

- Fov is much improved with the QPro vs. G2 for me. Especially when tilted slightly forward. Maybe this differs from person to person.

- Battery does drain to 80% with Link cable, but then remains there stable with proper USB-C Port. I think this is per design. If you start below 80% with link cable it shoud charge to 80% and stay there.

- No eytracked foveated rendering in DCS is possible with QPro.

- I'm surprised of the good sound quality as well.

Some additional thoughts:

- No face gasket es great in summer here. I don't sweat in my face any more. This bothered me so much that i switched to 2D instead of using my G2 in summer.

- 72 Hz allows dialing up of DCS Settings an still stay smooth above Headset refresh rate. (e.g. 4x MSAA here and running great - no shimmering any more)

Edited by Sile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sile said:

- Battery does drain to 80% with Link cable, but then remains there stable with proper USB-C Port. I think this is per design. If you start below 80% with link cable it shoud charge to 80% and stay there.

Depends on what motherboard you have and how much power it provides to the USB ports. On my ASUS X570-F, my quest pro would drain 100-0% within 3 hours of gameplay, and would barely charge when turned off. 

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Willdass:

Depends on what motherboard you have and how much power it provides to the USB ports. On my ASUS X570-F, my quest pro would drain 100-0% within 3 hours of gameplay, and would barely charge when turned off. 

Maybe an internal PCIe USB-C expansion card (with power connector to power supply) might help, or an external (powered) USB-C Hub or e.g. a Kuject or Syntech Quest Charging Cable with external power.

Edited by Sile