is 2.8 multi core?

janitha2

8 hours ago, janitha2 said:

Hi when i run dcs in 2.8 all my cores are at max is this multicore?

I am by no means an expert on this matter (quite the contrary 😋) and also I'm probably not saying this right, but if I'm not mistaking, your CPU constantly switches between available cores, resulting in the task manager showing it as if all cores are used simultaneously.

But please anyone with proper knowledge on this matter, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

41 minutes ago, sirrah said:

I am by no means an expert on this matter (quite the contrary 😋) and also I'm probably not saying this right, but if I'm not mistaking, your CPU constantly switches between available cores, resulting in the task manager showing it as if all cores are used simultaneously.

But please anyone with proper knowledge on this matter, correct me if I'm wrong.

What you say is correct, however a single threaded app would then not show 100% CPU utilization. From the limited info the OP provided, i would have guessed that he is running an app that does indeed fully utilize his CPU.

@janitha2 do you have the 100% utilization when actually playing the game, or is this maybe only when starting DCS, or when laoding into a mission? To answer your question: DCS is not supposed to have proper multi-threading yet, so your finding is a bit surprising. Even for a well optimized game 100% utilization without dips is highly unusual. I suspect that soemthing is wrong. How is you performance in DCS?
Also check that it's actually DCS that's creating the load.

Edited by twistking
  • Thanks 1

Looking at "Task Manager", it looks like the computer is running a mission. Look at the GPU usage.

2 hours ago, Hairdo1-1 said:

Lmao. I think they might have announced this in the patch notes 😉

Right, cause ED has always been so communicative in the past about all their changes.

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

41 minutes ago, Bulldog_1 said:

Looking at "Task Manager", it looks like the computer is running a mission. Look at the GPU usage.

Right, cause ED has always been so communicative in the past about all their changes.

Fair, but something like this? They'd bring it up.

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

hey 

it does not stay at 100% in a server but after i updated to 2.8 i noticed that my cpu was getting slightly warmer so when i checked all the cores were being used i only ever get that in fusion 360 when im rendering 

running in the through the inferno server with just dcs and cpuz running this is what i get, am i misunderstanding something or is there a change?

image.png

3 hours ago, janitha2 said:

hey 

it does not stay at 100% in a server but after i updated to 2.8 i noticed that my cpu was getting slightly warmer so when i checked all the cores were being used i only ever get that in fusion 360 when im rendering 

running in the through the inferno server with just dcs and cpuz running this is what i get, am i misunderstanding something or is there a change?

image.png

The first 2/3 of the graph look like pretty normal dcs behaviour to me (not multi-threading, but just the worklaod being shuffled around all cores for better heat management). The last third shows really high utilization though.
I don't have 2.8 yet, so can't test for myself, but i still doubt that something significant has changed with multi-threading. If DCS could reliably load a modern CPU up to over 90%, people would have noticed significant performance increases.
Do you feel that DCS is running better for you than before the update?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twistking said:

The first 2/3 of the graph look like pretty normal dcs behaviour to me (not multi-threading, but just the worklaod being shuffled around all cores for better heat management). The last third shows really high utilization though.
I don't have 2.8 yet, so can't test for myself, but i still doubt that something significant has changed with multi-threading. If DCS could reliably load a modern CPU up to over 90%, people would have noticed significant performance increases.
Do you feel that DCS is running better for you than before the update?

hey 
i have not seen any performance improvements but if any thing i can see a reduction of fps, around 5 to 10 fps lower after 2.8 

5 hours ago, janitha2 said:

hey 
i have not seen any performance improvements but if any thing i can see a reduction of fps, around 5 to 10 fps lower after 2.8 

Thought so. I'd conclude that 2.8 has not any multithreading improvments. If you are running just a little bit hotter than before, i would not worry. Maybe the new weather is a bit more taxing for your systems. If you however see your CPU stuck at 100% utilization for longer than a few seconds while playing, then there is soemthing wrong on your end and you should investigate further. Seeing load on all cores is normal, but all cores running at 100% is not normal.

hey @twistking

I did more testing and i can see that the cpu goes to 100% when i zoom in when in external view, may its just a me problem 😄

12 hours ago, upyr1 said:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.8.0.32235.1/

I don't see it listed here. I don't see the point in releasing 2.8 if it isn't multicore with vulkan I guess they will be 3.0

yeah i would expect it to come out with vulkan 

Edited by janitha2