Creating waypoint offsets in the Mission Editor (Rework)

Zeus67

Hello folks!

The way how waypoints offsets are created in the mission editor has been reworked. Previously you had to create a WAYPOINT PROPERTY and then add a bearing/range pair. Now it is a point and click method.

1. The NAVIGATION TARGET POINT tab has been activated in the Mission Editor. This means that the WAYPOINT PROPERTIES tab is no longer required. 

null2. To add a waypoint offset, all you have to do is go to the NAVIGATION TARGET POINT tab and click on the ADD button. Afterwards just click the spot on the map where you want the offset.

3. In the comments section you must write #OS<waypoint number>, that way the point that was created will be linked to the specified waypoint.

4. You can add as many offsets for the same waypoint as you want, but only the last one will be saved in the mission file.

Note: The comment section will not be cleared when you create a new waypoint, so please be aware that you set the correct waypoint number. The only way to avoid this is to go back to the Waypoints tab before entering a new offset.

image.png

image_2022_10_24T00_08_12_101Z.png

Screen_221023_190841.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• 1 month later...
Am 7.11.2022 um 13:25 schrieb HR-Crumble:

Hi Zeus - what do these WP offsets do?

can you use them to mark Sam sites and threat areas etc?

An offset is a point associated with a waypoint/targetpoint and allows to switch directly between the original WP and the "offset" from that point.

There is only one offset per point.

It can be used for a lot of different things, for example WP located on an easy recognizable environment feature, like a hill or road crossing near the "objective" and the offset marking the actual target or vice versa. The offset can be a strike target, close threat or whatever you want. It is just a point offset usually by Bearing/Distance from the original point.

You may use the offset point to indicate a known high threat like a SAM/AAA, just keep in mind there's only one offset per WP.

Another interesting use case (mostly MP) is for CAS using keyhole holding reference. Enter the "target area" (Echo point) as WP then add the holding as an offset to have a visual reference...

Or add an offset to the landing WP with reciprocal runway heading as Bearing and 10 NM as reference for IFR landing...

• Thanks 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

19 minutes ago, shagrat said:

An offset is a point associated with a waypoint/targetpoint and allows to switch directly between the original WP and the "offset" from that point.

There is only one offset per point.

It can be used for a lot of different things, for example WP located on an easy recognizable environment feature, like a hill or road crossing near the "objective" and the offset marking the actual target or vice versa. The offset can be a strike target, close threat or whatever you want. It is just a point offset usually by Bearing/Distance from the original point.

You may use the offset point to indicate a known high threat like a SAM/AAA, just keep in mind there's only one offset per WP.

Another interesting use case (mostly MP) is for CAS using keyhole holding reference. Enter the "target area" (Echo point) as WP then add the holding as an offset to have a visual reference...

Or add an offset to the landing WP with reciprocal runway heading as Bearing and 10 NM as reference for IFR landing...

Great breakdown thank you very much for explaining. 

~Crumble

• 3 months later...

This Thread Resurrection because I am reacting to this: (emphasis on targetpoint)

Last night I was trying to create (in flight) an Offset to a Target Point (TOO).  It was not possible. There is no T/O equivalent to the ODU W/O.

I have no doubt this is "CORRECT AS IS" but it seems like it would be a really nice feature.

The specific scenario was a Smoke Marker with directions to Bearing and Range to a target.  I could grab the Smoke in DMT or TPOD and create a Target Point, but could not easily create an offset point. (TPOD Yardstick and 2D Yardstick were used instead).  It got me wondering and then I noticed that first sentence and wondered if it SHOULD be possible.

I realize this post was specific to the MISSION Editor not the In Flight option, but I am curious  🙂

Edited by Recluse

Am 28.3.2023 um 19:05 schrieb Recluse:

This Thread Resurrection because I am reacting to this: (emphasis on targetpoint)

Last night I was trying to create (in flight) an Offset to a Target Point (TOO).  It was not possible. There is no T/O equivalent to the ODU W/O.

I have no doubt this is "CORRECT AS IS" but it seems like it would be a really nice feature.

The specific scenario was a Smoke Marker with directions to Bearing and Range to a target.  I could grab the Smoke in DMT or TPOD and create a Target Point, but could not easily create an offset point. (TPOD Yardstick and 2D Yardstick were used instead).  It got me wondering and then I noticed that first sentence and wondered if it SHOULD be possible.

I realize this post was specific to the MISSION Editor not the In Flight option, but I am curious  🙂

Yeah, sorry. The wording is a bit misleading, in this case. Targetpoints in the mission computer are typically designations for weapons. I was more thinking in the direction of a "target" waypoint of a preplanned flightplan, where the point (target location) is a landmark you can easily recognize and then use the offset to designate the actual target.

Creating a Target Point via TOO (T1, T2... Tn) creates target coordinates for weapons release.

Typically waypoints and offset as a target designation will be preplanned. Think of a flight of four strikers that follow a route to a target. They approach a planned, easy recognizable waypoint like a landmark (e.g. a big tower) and now have to pop up and drop on 4 different DMPI (e.g. 4 different buildings in the area of the tower), each aircraft will have his individual offset for the target designation, but the tower as the waypoint. Each pilot switches to his offset and designates and gets attack cues for his target. Then all aircraft steer to the egress waypoint in their flightplan and get the hell outta Dodge.

For a target of opportunity like that smoke marker, you want to use the Markpoints (OSB on the HSD bottom row labeled "MK1" ( MK and next free markpoint no.)

A markpoint can have an offset, too, so you could mark the smoke, or a building, or a crossing, where allied forces are taking cover and enter a Bearing-Range as an offset point, to designate the actual target, if they radio "Enemy position 800 meters, bearing 170".

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

For a target of opportunity like that smoke marker, you want to use the Markpoints (OSB on the HSD bottom row labeled "MK1" ( MK and next free markpoint no.)

A markpoint can have an offset, too, so you could mark the smoke, or a building, or a crossing, where allied forces are taking cover and enter a Bearing-Range as an offset point, to designate the actual target, if they radio "Enemy position 800 meters, bearing 170".

Thanks for the clarification. However, last night I tried it with MARKPOINTS and I could not make an offset to a MARKPOINT either.  i selected the Markpoint, went to DATA and in the ODU only  WYPT showed  just kept toggling between WYPT and TGPT with no O/S as works with WP's.

HOWEVER, I was able to hit TOO and create a true WAYPOINT by selecting in on the ODU which COULD have an OFFSET.  Unfortunately, I could only create an Offset in units of nautical miles, so it was still pretty useless for the particular case where I needed meters.

Quite possibly I am missing something obvious here with the OFFSET switchology...

Edited by Recluse