One of the best DCS module...

Chipmunk

Hey, cool video! Nice to watch crazy little Donkey at work.
That Ilyushin Il-16 bit... that might be some kind of a Russian joke, is it?
Thanks for letting me know there's this pretty kneeboard for I-16, have just downloaded it. Not that the Donkey is complex, but it's still a very pretty kneeboard, nice to have.

If only I knew how to tame that damned metal tail-roller on landing 😄 I don't kill myself, but boy, this thing gives me a headache.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

52 минуты назад, scoobie сказал:

Hey, cool video! Nice to watch crazy little Donkey at work.
That Ilyushin Il-16 bit... that might be some kind of a Russian joke, is it?
Thanks for letting me know there's this pretty kneeboard for I-16, have just downloaded it. Not that the Donkey is complex, but it's still a very pretty kneeboard, nice to have.

If only I knew how to tame that damned metal tail-roller on landing 😄 I don't kill myself, but boy, this thing gives me a headache.

Before the war the Soviet AF followed a class-based naming convention pretty much like an American one. I-16 stands for "Fighter (istrebitel) model 16" (ringing any bells? :smilewink:), TB-3 is a heavy bomber and the U-2 (the chad stealth bomber, not the virgin recce plane) is actually a trainer. Later they changed the convention to refer to the chief designer of the aircraft in question, so the aforementioned U-2 was named Po-2 after its designer N. Polikarpov. BTW, he also designed the I-16 but they never changed the name since it was already out of production.

Yeah, I know about "istrebityel"... if I get Russian right (I don't) it means something like "down-shooter", something that shoots down other planes, right? But I don't get what Ilyushin bureau had to do with Polikarpov.

BTW, wasn't it "good" uncle Stalin who sent Polikarpov to jail or camp for being late with a design of some airplane? For 2 years or so, then they pulled him out, maybe because they realized that an engineer is typically more productive at work than in jail. Healthy work environment, welcome to USSR 😉

• Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

53 минуты назад, scoobie сказал:

Yeah, I know about "istrebityel"... if I get Russian right (I don't) it means something like "down-shooter", something that shoots down other planes, right? But I don't get what Ilyushin bureau had to do with Polikarpov.

Absolutely nothing, just a mistake in the video.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/3/2022 at 10:53 AM, scoobie said:

There's a "cheat" to land safe (nearly) every time.

Full brakes, even before touchdown. Seems  it stabilizes yaw as well as come to a stop faster. Brakes are to weak to ever cause a nose over.

• Thanks 2

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 5:22 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

That, and a map of Civil War era Spain. This conflict had rarely been covered in media and is almost forgotten, undeservedly so.

The I-16 model 24 we have is a late 1939 model SCW I-16s were model 10 or earlier, so less power and 2 mgs. Same for the SCW Bf-109 A to early E. Although an original Condor legion E3 does exist, I think it’s the earliest surviving 109. 

Outside these two the SCW has an eclectic mix of 1930s Russian, Italian and German aircraft. These are pretty much all extinct so references would be a huge problem. 

I agree, but still, there are some surviving materials, and there's also information on other aircraft from the series. A B model 109 is still a 109, just without a few fancy features. Same for the I-16, which changed even less (basically, guns and engine). The aerodynamics of the early 109 will be very different, but at least for German documentation, it should be preserved somewhere. It's not like modern jets, where you need detailed description of how every piece of avionics talks to guided bombs and missiles, especially if we're talking SCW, where most aircraft didn't even come with a radio (and when they did, it was a bulky, heavy set). I believe this could be figured out to a satisfactory standard, even without a genuine surviving example of an airframe from the time.

• Like 2