Apache or Hind

WildBillKelsoe

AH-64D or Mi-24?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Apache or Hind

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/22 at 02:26 AM

As alot of you might now I have been off for a year or so due to RL issues and the fact that my PC died. Anyways I am back to the game and want to ask which one do you recommend?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

The first thing I'd recommend is to trial the Hind to see if you like it.

But what missions are you personally more interested and what are you looking to get out of them? Because for me personally, I find the Hind more appealing and I gravitate more towards the Cold War era, so I'm going to go for the Hind, but that may not apply to you (which is totally fine).

If you instead care more so about capability and situational awareness, then the Apache wins hands down - there's no contest.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Like Northstar said, it really depends.

If overall module completeness is a factor for you, Hind is almost done, while Apache has some ways to go, which is to be expected, one released a lot earlier, and is a lot less complex than the other after all.

Aside from that, Hind is like a shturmovik or Su-25, but with a rotor, and Apache is a flying server rack with a lot more in the way of offensive and defensive capabilities, and more ease in traditional way of helo attacks from hover, as well as well more agility.

I personally enjoy Hind a lot more, but that's mostly because it's more down my alley: Cold War, simple systems, it's like the warbird of attack helos, and it's been an iconic "scary helo with lots of dakka" for me since I was a teen. But if you want advanced navigation, targeting, defensive capabilities, more guided missiles, FLIR, night capability, flexible gun, Apache would be more of a fit.

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

+1 to Northstar's comment on just trying the Hind.

Personally, although I like both, I prefer the Apache for a few reasons:

• I prefer the western avionics and terminology as I'm just much more familiar with it
  • I prefer the more modern avionics (although the Hind systems are "old school" cool, I'm just a sucker for mfd's)
  • I prefer the laser (and buddy lase capability) weapon delivery in the Apache over the optical ATGM delivery of the Hind
  • The Apache gun! Although the Hind gun has far more punch, the Apache gun follows where you look.. How's that not utterly awesome? 😲
  • FCR for the Apache (Later in EA)

But there are certainly some features where the Hind wins from the Apache, such as sling load capability, troop transport, higher top speed, flying tank, maybe looks 🤔 (the latter one being quite arguable... like choosing between your children)

anyways.. you should just get em both, as they're both great fun 😉

Edited by sirrah
Grammar
  • Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

As said before, with both already participating in the 14-day free trials, just check them out and have a look.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

(...)"Try out each and everyone of our products for 14 days per product during a six month period. You can play each module sequentially or any number of them at a time. The choice is yours!"(...)

For me it is definitely the AH-64D Longbow, but the Mi-24P Hind has its fans, as well.

It is mostly about the mission profiles and eastern vs western doctrine, in my point of view.

Of course the tech is very different, but that's the same for the usual jets, as well.

It boils down to what you feel comfortable with. Cold war circuit breaker walls, analogue gauges and creative "moving" map, or Hi-Tech glass cockpit with digital tech galore.

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

24 minutes ago, shagrat said:

As said before, with both already participating in the 14-day free trials, just check them out and have a look.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

(...)"Try out each and everyone of our products for 14 days per product during a six month period. You can play each module sequentially or any number of them at a time. The choice is yours!"(...)

For me it is definitely the AH-64D Longbow, but the Mi-24P Hind has its fans, as well.

It is mostly about the mission profiles and eastern vs western doctrine, in my point of view.

Of course the tech is very different, but that's the same for the usual jets, as well.

It boils down to what you feel comfortable with. Cold war circuit breaker walls, analogue gauges and creative "moving" map, or Hi-Tech glass cockpit with digital tech galore.

Sadly the Apache isnt available as part of the trial currently

• Like 1

Wookie

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 3600XT@4.4GHz+ || MSI B450 Tomahawk Max || MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z || 32GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 RAM@3200 || 32" Monitor || Win 10 Home || TM Warthog HOTAS || Logitech ProFlight Pedals || TrackHat Clip || Rift S

Modules: A-10C & A-10C II || KA-50 2 & 3 || FC3 || CA || UH-1H || AV-8B || L-39 || F-86F || F-5 II || Mi-8 || M-2000C || F/A-18 || SA-342 || Super Carrier || F-14A/B || AH-64D

Maps: Caucasus || NTTR || Persian Gulf || Marianas || Syria

I didn't know about the free trial period thingy. If so, is the Apache also included?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

15 minutes ago, WildBillKelsoe said:

I didn't know about the free trial period thingy. If so, is the Apache also included?

Pretty sure it isn't. Not yet.

iirc, I read somewhere that trial for the Apache will become available after FCR implementation (apart from ED, nobody knows exactly when that will be)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I voted for the Apache, if you just want to figure out which one you may want first. The truth is both. They both have things that the particular airframe does well. Apache is more more modern, while the Hind is a bit more old school. I personally enjoy them both, so in my opinion the best choice is both.

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb WildBillKelsoe:

Seems not at the moment. I thought it was, already... Sorry!

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I own both and they're both an absolute delight, but if you can only pick one, you should ask yourself what qualities and missions you prefer to play.

Do you want to hurtle toward a target fast at tree top level, pop up, unload rockets, then duck back down to the deck to terrain mask or do you want to be able to tuck yourself in behind treelines, peek up, snipe, and then drop down to cover?

Do you want a greater multi-mission capability or do you include a lot of night time operations in your DCS playtime?

The former mean you want the Hind. The latter, the Apache.

The Hind is a beautiful simplistic machine that has a lot of character and is a pleasure to fly. The only helo easier than it would be the KA-50. It's easy to pick up and grasp, even for non-prop-heads (see also non-witches) like myself. It carries a pretty nice complement of weapons which give it an excellent offensive punch. Especially in the department of unguided rocketry.

The Apache, on the other hand, transforms night-time ops in DCS. If you recall some of the interviews in the wake of the Gulf War which had pilots and crews compare their technologically advanced kit to "playing a computer game", it really comes across in the Apache. The Apache, during daytime hours, is a great flier. There's no denying that. But, once you put it into a night-time arena, it transforms into something more. It feels like an extension of the pilot. Shaving desert grass only a few feet off the ground at 100+ KIAS feels absolutely natural. 

The next question you should ask yourself? Do you want a cooperative experience or a solo experience. One lends way better to it than the other. It's possible with both, but with the Hind's fixed 30mm guns, it basically leaves the gunner to only operate missilery. This is something that the AI, Petrovich, does well enough on his own. The Apache, however, benefits immensely from having a human CPG.

So, in the end, basically ask yourself if you like flying at night and want to do it more, want more missilery or rocketry, and do you want a solo or cooperative experience?

• Like 2

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!