Game very slow to start after 2.8

Dallas88B

1 hour ago, Dagobert666 said:

super fast M.2 SSD

I have the same type of drive, dedicated to DCS. 

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

The rendering time could be mission/ground-object specific, as It only happen consistently in one of two "test" missions I have created. (Sometimes randomly in other missions) The problematic mission is not target rich at all, but still has that render anomaly. (That started to appear after 2.8 update)
I will check (later today, I hope) if the "problematic" mission contain third party asset-pack objects.

Edited by Moxica
  • Thanks 1

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

10 minutes ago, Moxica said:

rendering time could be mission/ground-object specific

Yes very true....but not in what my OP post reported...I only used the basic DCS game missions ie: AH-64D Instant Action, Mission or Training. No special tailored missions, no mods.
Its not a game stopper IMHO, but its very noticeably slower than 2.7 (for reasons I cannot guess), I am not the only person experiencing it, and I thought it worth reporting. 

Edited by Dallas88B
  • Like 6

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

Same here. Loading times were pretty long before, now they're way worse. Framerate is 0 for a good minute or so before I then sit over an ocean and can see the ground and buildings load in ever so slowly. Even the map takes forever to load now. Also running DCS on an M.2 NVMe SSD, though the rest of my hardware is somewhat lacking.

I've noticed that this initial slow rendering only happens when there are more slots in the mission. With only one aircraft as player/client it render (more) immediately.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

have you tried putting your preload radius slider to a reasonable (read: low) value?
for some reason there are still folks who crank that thing up to max... when you have dcs on a fast ssd you should get away with minimal preload in fact.
if this helps with your excessive load times i don't know of course, but it is worth trying...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 10:16 AM, Moxica said:

I've noticed that this initial slow rendering only happens when there are more slots in the mission. With only one aircraft as player/client it render (more) immediately.

I can confirm this. This seems to be somehow related to missions with multiple slots.  (and for me it's still present in the newest version DCS 2.8.0.33006 Open Beta)

• 5 weeks later...

Just jumped back into the Apache after a long time away and I am also experiencing ridiculously slow load times in any mission with it on Syria. No other module gives me this problem. Performance is fine when I actually get into the mission, it just takes an unbelievably long time to load.

Edited by percivaldanvers
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

When you say "load", do you mean the progress bar before you are in the cockpit, or do you mean textures taking a while to load after you are in the aircraft?

I'm still noticing long texture loading times, but that has been with us for a few patches now. 😕

Sorry I should be more specific. I get bizarrely long times with preload. It will be stuck on 1/60 for what feels like minutes. I'd think it has something to do with the terrain or something but if I start from the same place in a different helicopter it loads normally. Occasionally it won't get stuck like this but I haven't been able to figure out the pattern of it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NineLine said:

Is this all on MP? How does SP load for you. Realize that after an update loading into maps can take some extra time but should speed up.

Also as noted dropping the Preload Radius can help for MP.

Can confirm that since 2 updates ago (iirc) the loading times increased significantly. As @percivaldanvers says, loading particularly is slow in the last "loading 1/60" part. I'm now waiting ~3, maybe 4 minutes for any mission to load, where it used to take less than 1 min. (have never touched preload radius setting, so this issue was introduced with an update.)

I only tested with single player Apache missions. So yes @NineLine, this also happens for SP.

Not the end of the world, but definitely loading times increased for me as well.

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, NineLine said:

Is this all on MP? How does SP load for you. Realize that after an update loading into maps can take some extra time but should speed up.

As sirrah said, this got introduced with DCS 2.8. Both SP and MP. All modules are affected but the worst ones are Apache and Hind.

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb admiki:

As sirrah said, this got introduced with DCS 2.8. Both SP and MP. 

I can confirm as well.

• Like 1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Can confirm the "1/60" part of the loading is now (latest two open beta patches) several minutes (Syria + Apache)   Even going out of the mission and back with "fly again" is like the thing load all over again... Before flying again were seconds of waiting. 32 GB RAM and SSD. Tried different preload radius without any difference.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NineLine said:

This has been in single player loading into free flight missions for the AH-64. That said I've also had it happen with the Mi-24 free flight now too so I'm no longer so sure how specific it is to the AH-64. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NineLine said:

As others have mentioned, it's SP too but seems to only happen in missions with multiple slots. I can't add tracks, but it reproduces every time for me when running the hunting grounds mission so should be easy to see if you just spawn into any Ah64 hotstart slot on this: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3321127/

Worth flagging - it sounds like there's two different issues being discussed. One is long loading before the mission starts, the other is that after clicking fly and entering the cockpit it takes 60-90s to load all textures (even with an M2 SSD). I'm specifically talking about the latter - after loading into a hot start slot on hunting grounds the mfds are blank, the external ground textures are missing (I. E. The ground is see through) and external model textures are missing (I. E. Bits of the chopper are missing) if you go to F2. If you zoom out you can see the textures popping in in chunks. 

Edited by backspace340

56 minutes ago, backspace340 said:

As others have mentioned, it's SP too but seems to only happen in missions with multiple slots. I can't add tracks, but it reproduces every time for me when running the hunting grounds mission so should be easy to see if you just spawn into any Ah64 hotstart slot on this: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3321127/

Worth flagging - it sounds like there's two different issues being discussed. One is long loading before the mission starts, the other is that after clicking fly and entering the cockpit it takes 60-90s to load all textures (even with an M2 SSD). I'm specifically talking about the latter - after loading into a hot start slot on hunting grounds the mfds are blank, the external ground textures are missing (I. E. The ground is see through) and external model textures are missing (I. E. Bits of the chopper are missing) if you go to F2. If you zoom out you can see the textures popping in in chunks. 

Same 🙂

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just for comparison, I loaded up the Syria hot start Instant Action mission and timed it.  The progress bar was on "World Preload : 1/60" for 25 seconds, with a total load time before seeing the world behind the mission briefing of 1m 25s.

That in itself is not very helpful, since everyone's hardware specs are a little different, but it is to say that this issue is not effecting everyone across the board.  So now the question is what setting or mod is causing the issue?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 3:43 AM, NineLine said:

Is this all on MP? How does SP load for you.

Thanks for your response.

For me its SP.

I don't do MP in DCS (yet)