Tank sims?!

Vekkinho

Few days ago I saw this movie called The Beast, featuring a Soviet tank crew getting lost in Afganistan and being chased by a group of natives in possession of RPG thru the cul-de-sac gorge. I kinda liked the movie and it got me interested in a moderm MBT simulators.

I was browsing the net for some games that I might buy so if you have any recomendations on which tank sim is worthy feel free to post 'em here!

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steel Beast Pro PE.

Isn't full of eyecandy, but it's the best armour sim around. It's a public version of software in use with Danish, Spanish, Australian and New Zealand armed forces. Has a die hard following with a large number of current and ex- armoured troops.

The only downside is that it is very expensive compared to normal PC simulators.

http://www.steelbeasts.com

I only regreat there is no any demo version. :|

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Steelbeast Pro PE is the standards in MBT sim - definitively.

It's graphic engine is very old but the mission editor with all it's trigger possibilities is amazing besides the simulated vehicles.

It's nothing for just play around, therefor it's a bit expensive with 125 $.

But there's nothing like SB Pro PE.

A big upgrade is coming very soon.

Here's a little video:

Steel Beasts Pro - Without a doubt the best of its type on the market and soon to be upgraded. Including improvements to the Map Editor, a scenery designers dream of a tool.

After playing around with the illogical scenery design facility in DCS, SB Pro is streets ahead in many respects.

Its a great Tank Sim for the modern era, the model quality is not as good as some of the DCS tanks but it works really well and the forum website is not full of complaints about bugs !!!!

There are also a lot of user made skins, sound mods and others, hand made missions and scenarios.

The copy protection is handled via a CodeMeter USB Stick - non Issue on Vista 64bit.

There's a nine pages thread with upgrade details that will be introduced in the coming version. (A one year upgrade)

OK guys thanks, I'll go Steel Beasts!

Unfortunately it's not available here in Zagreb, so are there any web shops selling SBPPE I can order from in Europe?!

You can buy it direct from the developers via their website. I also believe they have a German subsiduary that supplies Central Europe. I'm not aware of it being available from 3rd party suppliers.

Your best bet may be to nip over to the Steel Beasts forums and contact Ssnake directly via e-mail. He's their publishing guy, and always more than willing to help folks out if he possibly can.

Friend of mine had "Balkans on Fire" game few years ago but I did not like it, no 3D interior and it felt too arcadish, I didn't play it for too long so I borrowed his Silent Hunter III DVD instead. I believe I'm right when saying it's a poor tank sim, right?!

Here's a video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwkuMyVDdWQ&feature=related

The only Tank sim I played in my past was a M1A1 Abrams sim back in 1991:

http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/961021665-00.jpg

I had 386SX running at 8 Hz (16Hz w/turbo) LOL!

Thanks Jester!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Once again Vekkinho, SB PRO PE is no eye candy ! Don't be disappointed.

Don't worry, I won't, I'm not looking for eye candy but realism with fluent FPS on my wrinkled system! I already Youtubed some of the SBPPE videos and it's not that bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCVZgFiijCo&feature=related

Hey this one is by Cobrabase!!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps5Duge0zN0&feature=related

Is that the tankers club member you were talking about?!! LOL!

Hey that Hind in the video has more candy than the one in LOFC ;)

I know there's a huge system requirement to achieve both eye candy and complexity of all simulated systems, ballistics and physics but I prefer those over nice looking flowers and pink sheep in the fields!

Edited by Vekkinho

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spyros, that doesn't look like Steel Beasts to me. The driver's position in SB Pro is far more basic for one thing (in the video you see a view showing what appears to be a driver's view on the monitors) since SB Pro is not designed for that role, but has rather had it added as an afterthought. SB Pro more concentrates on simulating the commander's and gunner's positions.

Ok thanks for the info.

I heard that they bought SB Pro as a desktop trainer, so when I came across that video I wondered if SB is also used on the big sim.

I wouldn't mind if they'd let me play with the one on the video though. :)

God forgives... Spyros doesn't.