On the topic of ice...

I think this is the very first module which has ice effects and working de-ice functions onboard.

Questions: I think I have turned on all 3 anti-ice heating switches, but I still have ice on the canopy. Is this normal, or did I miss something?

How would ice affect the plane? I have ice warning light on but the plane still flies pretty normal.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I'm only aware of two anti icing switches. Pitot tube and engine. When you ignore the ice warning and don't switch on the engine de-iceing you can get a flame out. A frozen pitot tube will render the airspeed indicator useless (will show zero air speed). It can freeze with the tube heat on anyway in certain conditions.

For the icing/fogging of the canopy you have two switches and the heating dial on a separate panel. When you turn everything on, the icing/fogging of the canopy should disappear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

28 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Are you sure you dont mix up the icing with fogging on the canopy? 

Nope, the icing patterns show up at the bottom of the canopy.

16 minutes ago, Hiob said:

For the icing/fogging of the canopy you have two switches and the heating dial on a separate panel. When you turn everything on, the icing/fogging of the canopy should disappear.

Have to go through the panels once more when I have the chance.  Thank you.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

from the manual:

nullOn the heating panel there are two switches for the "windshield".

"demist" and "rain removal".

The manual suggests that only the latter is relevant for icing conditions. But I figured both probably work with hot air and it doesn't hurt to use them. 😅

The only switch you should only operate when really needed is the engine de-icing, because it limits your thrust.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I just had a flight with weather preset Broken 3, I think is it called, in Caucasus, with 14°C at sea level. Clouds top end was abut 23000ft, some cirrus clouds way above. Was flying at 25000ft, so above the clouds in free cold air.

ICE warning light was on all the time I entered clouds on climbing and stayed on at FL250. Shouldn't there be no problem with icing anymore when well outside of the clouds?

Had engine anti-ice on during climb but switched it off at FL250 and there was no problem with engine inlet icing.

MB339-25000ft_ice_warning_above_clouds.trk

I agree there is an issue with the icing model and implementation. I posted this in the Closed Beta Testers area. Not sure if the devs have acess to that area.

"On further testing it seems the "canopy icing" is external airframe icing. However no sign of airframe icing is visible on wing leading edges and tip tanks which one would expect. It is further strange that this icing can occur in completely clear atmospheric conditions.

I started at Batumi in Sky clear conditions with 26c surface temperature. Passing 19,000' the ICE caution illuminated and icing was visible on the canopy. No icing visible on the airframe when looking to the wings. Jumping into external view no icing visible anywhere.

IRL the ICE caution is triggered by ice build up on the ice detection sensor on the fin. If there was ice detected and the ice was visible on the canopy then there should be ice elsewhere.

You wont get icing without visible signs of moisture (and the right temperature) cloud,mist,fog,rain or snow etc. To me the canopy icing is a scripted eye candy thing that results in just canopy icing, and in conditions that IRL wouldn't result in icing."

• Thanks 1

...and I had an engine flame out when I ignored the ice warning. Don't know if correlated but I can't think of another reason for it to quit. (It wasn't damaged, I could restart it)

...and I had an engine flame out when I ignored the ice warning. Don't know if correlated but I can't think of another reason for it to quit. (It wasn't damaged, I could restart it)
Engine flameout is related to ice formation on the intake. Currently there is no visual effect as the DCS core does not have it. We are looking for an alternative way to include it.

Inviato dal mio ASUS_I005D utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 2