Fresh windows install - Can I copy over my Eagle dynamics back up ?

Hi, as title, I am re installing windows in th ehope of laying some of my peripheral hardware issues to bed, I have backed up my new, fresh install of DCS I did this weekend. Can I simply copy it back into where I want or do I need to download the base DCS world package again? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

You can copy DCS from your old PC. You will lose the Start Menu Entries though.

There are 2 places DCS stores data.

1) The Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS-version- folder (this is the main DCS program, with the modules, maps etc.)

2) Under your user profile/saved games/DCS-version- is all the settings, configuration and individual stuff, like shaders compiled for your hardware and missions you created

You can basically copy both folders to the new PC. BEFORE! Starting DCS do a DCS repair and delete the fxo and metashaders 2.0 folders in saved games/DCS-version-.

That should take care of the new graphics hardware.

Now, unfortunately Windows will generate new USB-IDs, so you need to import your "old" Joystick/controls  configuration to the "new" joysticks/HOTAS... But that's well documented on the forum, or in the /Program Files/DCS-version-/Docs/ folder. 

Edit: and you need to add the launcher icons to the desktop! Needs to point to "program Files/DCS-version-/bin/DCS_updater.exe NOT(!) DCS.exe.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Perfect, thanks! I have carefully noted where each USB device was plugged in, intending to re use the same ports, to avoid that issue. Are you saying fresh windows will generate fresh USB ID's anyway? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Are you saying fresh windows will generate fresh USB ID's anyway? 

Yes.

Just make a backup of your /saved games/DCS/Config/Input/ folder and after restoring them on the new windows, rename the files to have the correct new USB ID. You can find what is the new ID by binding a single one and inspecting the new binding's file name.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks, will that be the file name at the top of the .lua file? 

11 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

hello. i did a fresh install last year and noted some steps.

https://pcwiseman.com/downloads_files/DCS_New_Computer.pdf

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

Don't understand what you mean by "at the top", It's just the file name .. lets look at an example, this is the folder where DCS stores my control bindings for the F-5E:

P18Z9Tu.jpg

As you can see, there are four sub-folders for each aircraft: keyboard, mouse, trackir and joystick. The latter holds the bindings for each joystick-like device that you have, on my case I have a Hotas and a set of rudder pedals. Within the "joystick" folder there is a ".diff.lua" file for each device, every time I have reinstalled Windows, DCS has generated a new .diff.lua file, that's why I have several for each device.

For my VPC Rudders I have two files, DCS is using the newer one ... I could delete the older if I wanted. The files are identical and only difference is their name, which has embedded the USB ID that Windows assigned to this device.

Let's say that Its April 10th 2022 and  have just reinstalled Windows. If I go into DCS and for the F-5E bind any axis to my Rudder, DCS will create a .diff.lua for it. Now I exit DCS, rename the new file to .diff.lua.bak and then copy its name (without the .bak of course) and paste it on the name of the old file, DCS would then have all of my original bindings that dated from 2021, on the new file.

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

OK, thanks Rudel. I will take a look tomorrow when I get the PC back. 

I have been working with some .lua files for the monitor & viewport set up in relation to exporting my new MFD's and in these files, there is a file name referenced in the .lua code. This can be different to the file name. 

This is what I was refering to, but it seems in the case of the files we need for the configs, the important thing is the actual file name. I am slowly piecing together parts of the jigsaw that is understanding how DCS works and the files and codes, so there are lots of gaps in my knowledge! 

... it seems in the case of the files we need for the configs, the important thing is the actual file name.

Correct, for example this is the content of one of my .diff.lua files:

"local diff = {
    ["axisDiffs"] = {
        ["a2001cdnil"] = {
            ["changed"] = {
                [1] = {
                    ["filter"] = {
                        ["curvature"] = {
                            [1] = 0,
                        },
                        ["deadzone"] = 0,
                        ["invert"] = true,
                        ["saturationX"] = 1,
                        ["saturationY"] = 1,
                        ["slider"] = false,
                    },
                    ["key"] = "JOY_Y",
                },
            },
            ["name"] = "Pitch",
        },
        ["a2003cdnil"] = {
            ["added"] = {
                [1] = {
                    ["filter"] = {
                        ["curvature"] = {
                            [1] = 0.14,
                        },
                        ["deadzone"] = 0.03,
                        ["invert"] = false,
                        ["saturationX"] = 1,
                        ["saturationY"] = 1,
                        ["slider"] = false,
                    },
                    ["key"] = "JOY_RX",
                },
            },
            ["name"] = "Rudder",
            ["removed"] = {
                [1] = {
                    ["key"] = "JOY_RZ",
                },
            },
        },
    },
}
return diff"

Hi, OK, when I try and run the dcs .exe, I get an arroe about a missing runtime? Box fresh windows install and just copied my old eagle dynamics folder to where it was before.....

any ideas? 

Hi, OK, when I try and run the dcs .exe, I get an arroe about a missing runtime? Box fresh windows install and just copied my old eagle dynamics folder to where it was before.....

any ideas? 

Your windows is missing the Visual C ++ runtime .. install this Microsoft file to restore it:

https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.arm64.exe

Edited by Rudel_chw

Thanks Rudel, but when I run it, it errors, saying the installation package is not supported by this processor type....?

I tried the x86 version and it installed OK,just trying DCS now!

Edit, still does not work.....bugger....

Edited by markturner1960

Edit, still does not work.....bugger....

Please, can you quote the exact error message thet you get?

Sure, Its: The code execution could not proceed because runtime140_1.dll was not found. Re installing the program may fix this problem......

Sure, Its: The code execution could not proceed because runtime140_1.dll was not found. Re installing the program may fix this problem......

OK, please try this runtime:

https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

the x86 didnt work because its for 32bit computers

success! thank you Rudel!

• Like 1