DCS Server - Cannot start

Hi there,

Since 3 days now, i've some issue with DCS Server running on a dedicated server.

I've uninstall everything from scrach even windows, and still have the same issue and i don't understand why. There is nothing really strange in the log file but the server still freeze at the same level of the starting procedure.

Some precisions : 

- No mod at all, only SRS Server autoconnect script

- Simple mission with only one client plane on Persian Golf

- the server runs multiplayer missions since 3 years now without any problem since 3 days ago on windows server OS

- server started with "--norender --server --w DCSSERVER" command

If someone can help me, would be really appreciatedDCS Server Problem.jpg

dcs.log

hello @boyington2 - the log is quite short. maybe this is normal. and does not seem to end normally. there is  an error towards the end that may be the culprit.

2022-11-10 19:53:29.108 ERROR   EDCORE (2084): Failed to load C:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World OpenBeta Server/CoreMods/services/CaptoGlove/bin/edCaptoGlove.dll: (126) The specified module could not be found.

is this folder available in the main server folder? do you have old logs for comparison?

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --norender --server -w DCS.mylocalserver

the above is my shortcut. notice the single dash (- server) instead of your double dash (-- server) in front of server. maybe that?

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

44 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

hello @boyington2 - the log is quite short. maybe this is normal. and does not seem to end normally. there is  an error towards the end that may be the culprit.

2022-11-10 19:53:29.108 ERROR   EDCORE (2084): Failed to load C:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World OpenBeta Server/CoreMods/services/CaptoGlove/bin/edCaptoGlove.dll: (126) The specified module could not be found.

is this folder available in the main server folder? do you have old logs for comparison?

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --norender --server -w DCS.mylocalserver

the above is my shortcut. notice the single dash (- server) instead of your double dash (-- server) in front of server. maybe that?

Thanks for the answer. Yes i have this dll in the right folder.

I see a double dash in your shortcut not one 😛 tried with 1 dash ...same results

10 hours ago, boyington2 said:

Nobody ?

After a fresh Windows server install & a clean DCS Server install, still the same issue ....

Don't understand the issue ??

What is the OS? Please attach the new DCS.log that you have now after clean installation.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

13 hours ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

What is the OS? Please attach the new DCS.log that you have now after clean installation.

OS = Operating System = Windows

Log file has the same problem. see attahed

dcs.log

EDIT : after some tests, i need to delete the saved game folder, restart the server, kill the process, delete the saved game folder again and restart the server again ... so nothing that i can rely on for persistent missions with automatic server restart. see the new dcs log file (dcs2.log)

dcs2.log

Edited by boyington2
new results after tests

On 11/15/2022 at 9:00 PM, boyington2 said:

OS = Operating System = Windows

Since DCS only runs on Windows, it was clear that is windows 😄

I would like to know the exact version. From logs look like it's a 2012R2 or a 8.1, it's correct?
I guess it can be the problem, I suggest to try a newer version of windows, on server edition you have 120 days of trial, upgrade at least at Win 2016, or even better 2019.

It's running as main OS of server or as a VM?

EDIT: from dcs2.log server looks like start normally finally, so you've solved the problem? Maybe you had a wrong config file from a full client install that try to load some stuff?

Edited by Maverick87Shaka

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

20 hours ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

Since DCS only runs on Windows, it was clear that is windows 😄

I would like to know the exact version. From logs look like it's a 2012R2 or a 8.1, it's correct?
I guess it can be the problem, I suggest to try a newer version of windows, on server edition you have 120 days of trial, upgrade at least at Win 2016, or even better 2019.

It's running as main OS of server or as a VM?

EDIT: from dcs2.log server looks like start normally finally, so you've solved the problem? Maybe you had a wrong config file from a full client install that try to load some stuff?

Why is it a windows problem since it was working really find since 3 years now ?

It's a 2012 R2 version Yes, as the main OS on the server

I didn't find the problem, i've just deleted the Saved Game folder,  2 times and it's restarted.. the config file was fully new

If you have a config file to share i can check the differences.

Thanks for your answer

1 hour ago, boyington2 said:

Why is it a windows problem since it was working really find since 3 years now ?

Because DCS move forward 😉
With new release it can happens. Windows 7 ( and Server 2008R2 ) has already gone!
Sadly some new programming technique are not available on old operating system, and to squeeze all hardware resources sometimes it's necessary to use new feature, not supported by old operating system.

You should also take in consideration to keep your server up to date with OS version for a security reason, Mainstream support channel is already over, so unless you have an extended support subscription active, regardless of DCS, I suggest to update to a newer Windows version.

I didn't find the problem, i've just deleted the Saved Game folder,  2 times and it's restarted.. the config file was fully new

It was not something related to OS since now is started as per my post edit, but maybe some error in your config file and folder.
Another tips, sometimes ( really few time in a year to be honest ) if app crash or don't perfectly close, we've notice something like "memory corruption", it looks like some lua variables remain populated, and server fail to start without any apparent reason. In this circumstance the only way to make DCS server start again is reboot the machine, that clean everything on RAM.

If you have a config file to share i can check the differences.

One of the cleanest config that I have, is the one used during maintenance like post-update and so on.serverSettings.lua

Edited by Maverick87Shaka

22 hours ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

Because DCS move forward 😉
With new release it can happens. Windows 7 ( and Server 2008R2 ) has already gone!
Sadly some new programming technique are not available on old operating system, and to squeeze all hardware resources sometimes it's necessary to use new feature, not supported by old operating system.

You should also take in consideration to keep your server up to date with OS version for a security reason, Mainstream support channel is already over, so unless you have an extended support subscription active, regardless of DCS, I suggest to update to a newer Windows version.

It was not something related to OS since now is started as per my post edit, but maybe some error in your config file and folder.
Another tips, sometimes ( really few time in a year to be honest ) if app crash or don't perfectly close, we've notice something like "memory corruption", it looks like some lua variables remain populated, and server fail to start without any apparent reason. In this circumstance the only way to make DCS server start again is reboot the machine, that clean everything on RAM.

One of the cleanest config that I have, is the one used during maintenance like post-update and so on.serverSettings.lua

Thanks Maverick,

You were totally right. I'm now on Windows Server 2019 and everything works fine.

Thanks for your help.

SO NOW WE CAN SAY THAT WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2 is NO MORE SUPPORTED FOR DCS SERVER !

• Like 1

17 hours ago, boyington2 said:

Thanks Maverick,

You were totally right. I'm now on Windows Server 2019 and everything works fine.

Thanks for your help.

SO NOW WE CAN SAY THAT WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2 is NO MORE SUPPORTED FOR DCS SERVER !

Yeah my olde server was 2008R2 windows server and I had to upgrade to 2016 windows server after I think the 2.7 build of DCS came out

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

@BIGNEWY maybe it can be a good idea add OS supported and minimum system requirements to the download page where you can actually download the dedicated server, like the one that we had when purchasing new modules.

image.png

image.png