DCS AJS-37 Viggen manual RC2.1

TOViper

Hello Viggen drivers!

Since I'm not in the habit of making big speeches, let's get straight to the point:

During the last months I spent a few minutes :biggrin: re-working the DCS-AJS-37 Viggen Manual RC2 which is delivered with the Viggen module.
This was done:
 - For the community
 - In accordance with HB (POC IronMike)
 - For HeatBlur to be used on their purpose, e.g. to extend it further in case deemed necessary by HB authors/SMEs
 - For beeing used in a new Viggen training project (other story, details upcoming soon)

What the manual RC2.1(beta) currently is made of:
 - All original RC2 content
 - Hundreds of repairs of community bugs reported over the last 6 years by fellow pilots
 - Several bugs/issues repaired that came up during the re-working process
 - Changed/extended many headers in order to have a better and more detailed "Table of contents"
 - Added numbers to the "big" chapters (01 to 09)
 - Added bookmarks for all headers
 - Added "List of figures" at the end of the document
 - Changed the background picture to a single one (not mirrored like in the old manual) [currently not part of the document]
 - Changed numbers for better readability, like 1700km now reads 1,700 km
 - Changed number ranges for better readabilty, like 13,000 - 14,500 kg
 - Added captions for all figures with no exceptions
 - The typical "Caution:" text appears now in an amber box
 - Changed contrast and readability of nearly all pictures
 - Changed some pictures
 - Added some pictures
 - Added RB24 (AIM-9B) section in chapter 04
 - Changed the background pictures of the "big" chapters to fit the whole page
 - Changed this & that here & there in terms of formatting

- Additions from this thread <<<<<< see notes within this thread

Here you find the link for direct download:

DCS AJS-37 Viggen Manual RC2.1

Last changes of document: December 24th, 2023

Thanks in advance & have fun with that one!

Yours sincerely,
TOViper

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 10

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

1 hour ago, TOViper said:

During the last weeks I spent a few minutes :biggrin: re-working the DCS-AJS-37 Viggen Manual RC2 which is delivered with the Viggen module.
This was done:
 - For the community
 - In accordance with HB (POC IronMike)
 - For HeatBlur to be used on their purpose, e.g. to extend it further in case deemed necessary by HB authors/SMEs

Seems like a daunting work of love, thanks a lot for doing this 🙏

What I am asking you now is to give feedback within the next weeks, let's say until Christmas 2022.
I will then evaluate all issues carefully, and change the manual to finally have a version "RC2.1." on 1st of January 2023. Wohooo 🙂

I truly regret that I will not be able to truly test this updated manual, as I'm currently devoted to the Mirage F1, but I will read it carefully over the next few nights, and if I catch something obvious will report it. I intend to return to the Viggen as soon as the Kola Map is released, at that time I may make more accurate reports, but I doubt it will be released this year.

- For beeing used in a new Viggen training project (other story, details upcoming soon)

I just love to train, so, looking forward to this project 👍

Cheers.

Eduardo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, kotor633 said:

Can you do that for the F-14 as well

typical … you have been given a document that must have taken quite a lot of someone’s time, and instead of reading it, you ask to be given something else 🙄

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

As a long term DCS Viggen fan, it was a big pleasure (and to be honest a bit of honor too) to re-work it.
I love to have things as correct as possible (because I sometimes forget things and then I am super happy if I can re-read it somewhere).
The flight manual should be the best book available, and IMHO it should contain only "correct" things.

What we should not forget is the fact, that original manuals were in Swedish language. So if you compare the behaviour of the DCS Viggen in the sim, you will get approximately 100% of what is written in the book (RC2) (forgetting about some little bugs HB is already aware of). That's because HB put 100% into it, which I personally like very much.
During the re-working process, I could feel that the authors really wanted to create a very good book. In terms of quality, I have to say that the manual (in version RC2) was already very good. In fact, there were no "big" issues/glitches which could make your life hard while flying the Viggen in the sim.

I hope, that HB someday extends the RC2.1 with things they might implement in the future (which ever these might be), but if not, the RC2.1 - in any case - could be the best flight manual you find for this certain DCS module we all love so much.

@kotor633: Unfortunately, no :no:. Simply said, I see not even one single reason to do so. I would love to have you read the RC2.1(beta) and send issues - if you find some :smartass:

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb TOViper:

As a long term DCS Viggen fan, it was a big pleasure (and to be honest a bit of honor too) to re-work it.
I love to have things as correct as possible (because I sometimes forget things and then I am super happy if I can re-read it somewhere).
The flight manual should be the best book available, and IMHO it should contain only "correct" things.

What we should not forget is the fact, that original manuals were in Swedish language. So if you compare the behaviour of the DCS Viggen in the sim, you will get approximately 100% of what is written in the book (RC2) (forgetting about some little bugs HB is already aware of). That's because HB put 100% into it, which I personally like very much.
During the re-working process, I could feel that the authors really wanted to create a very good book. In terms of quality, I have to say that the manual (in version RC2) was already very good. In fact, there were no "big" issues/glitches which could make your life hard while flying the Viggen in the sim.

I hope, that HB someday extends the RC2.1 with things they might implement in the future (which ever these might be), but if not, the RC2.1 - in any case - could be the best flight manual you find for this certain DCS module we all love so much.

@kotor633: Unfortunately, no :no:. Simply said, I see not even one single reason to do so. I would love to have you read the RC2.1(beta) and send issues - if you find some :smartass:

I had read through RC2 beta. And I will also look at version 2.1. I'll be happy to let you know if I find any errors.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Rudel_chw:

typical … you have been given a document that must have taken quite a lot of someone’s time, and instead of reading it, you ask to be given something else 🙄

Ah, and what's your problem?

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Fantastic, we all owe you a great debt for this.  Do you happen to have a list of the "Hundreds of repairs of community bugs reported over the last 6 years by fellow pilots"?  I would love to know what I should be looking for as I read through it.

One thing I noticed right away is that the text seems to be more pixelated in RC2.1.  I don't know if this is a local issue for me or something you did when converting the document to pdf.  Apart from the pixelation I find the new font weight and pitch slightly less easy to read.  See below.  Hopefully this is not difficult to change.

image.png

RC2.1 has also lost sharpness in the images.  These are screenshots from viewing each version at Automatic Zoom (same apparent size for both) within Firefox 106.0.5 in Windows 10:

RC2:

image.png

RC2.1:

image.png

Edited by Machalot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

There is a statement on p. 324 that says, For information on how to set up the "on ground" seeker presets, please refer to the "I Mission Editor
Settings" section of the Appendix
.  I think this refers to the left/right offset and target number selections for the RB04.  In one of the recent open beta patches these settings can now be changed from the kneeboard as well, not just the mission editor.

On p. 325 it defines a group as "two or more ships" and gives an example of "Ships A and B constitute a group on their own".  However, in the game the RB04 only recognizes groups of three or more ships.  This text is directly from RC2, but perhaps should be updated.

Edited by Machalot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Thank you @Machalot for taking the time to start over in highlighting issues!

The list of issues can be found in the forum, and was initially collected (I think) by forum user Flappie. Back then, I found the topic with the XLS sheet, but unfortunately I cannot find it today... look here: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/290828-is-there-any-plan-to-update-the-manual/?do=findComment&comment=4990025

Regarding your issues:

@font: I have no idea which font they used, its not Times New Roman, and not Palatino Linotype. You guys have any idea?

Update 2022-11-27:

@sharpness (DONE) Dammit, you are right, I'll take a closer look and see what I can do (I can't see anything, because everything is unsharp ... *LOL*)

@p. 324 (DONE): Added text & picture to explain that settings can be changed on ground via the kneeboard page "Groundcrew settings" as well (see attached image).

p324_new.png

Question regarding p. 325:
I would change:
"In this mode, the missile will select two or more contacts that constitute a 'group'. "
   to this:
"In this mode, the missile will select three or more contacts that constitute a 'group'."    ... if you are 100% sure of what you are talking about!

Maybe you have a source for me to read on my own and re-check (or a good test mission) to make sure I'm not distributing big BS. :smartass:

Thank you so far!

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

my computer:

Not to sound overly pedantic, but it's "AJS37" not "AJS-37". 🙂

As for the Rb04 group mode: IRL it's two ships that are needed, IIRC we made a test and showed that three are needed in DCS. So both are accurate, just depends on what you want to be accurate to: IRL behaviour or DCS's.

Edited by MYSE1234
  • Like 1

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

Helloy  @MYSE1234!

Thanks for the pedantic tip! According to the SFI, I will change that IMMEDIATELY! This is one the "OMG" things that happend ...

In case of the RB04 I would use the information regarding DCS, not IRL (makes no sense, we are talking about the module here, not the real aircraft).

BTW: I finally rephrased the following section on page 31, in order to remove any doubts:

Course ring and Course index

"Indicates current true heading on the 12 o’clock position (white triangle above course ring) and current commanded true course (course towards the waypoint) with the yellow course index."

instead of:

Course ring and Course index

"Indicates current course on the 12 o’clock position (white triangle) and current commanded course (course towards the waypoint) with the yellow course index."

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

@MYSE1234
I rephrased the section about the RB04 in the following way:

"The so-called “grouped target mode” is selected by setting the targeting mode selector to GRUPP (Group-mode). In this mode, the missile will select three or more contacts that constitute a "group". The prerequisites for a "group" are that three or more contacts must be within 2,700 meters of each other in depth. If unable to determine a group, the missile may ignore the targets entirely. Therefore, it is imperative that the targets can be determined to be a "group" before the missile is fired in GRUPP mode. If this is not the case, the ENKEL (Single target mode) is suggested. In this case, the first target found by the radar will be locked on."

Would you agree in this being correct according to what is happening in the sim?

my computer:

13 minutes ago, TOViper said:

Would you agree in this being correct according to what is happening in the sim?

Sounds correct yes.
The last sentence however is not necessarily though. IRL it should be the first target found, in DCS however it seems it's always the closest one to the missile. Which might or might not be the case IRL.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

Regarding the course index and commanded course, I think I should mention in the manual, that the KURS KORR has influence on the indications.
I understand the system the following way:
As long as the KURS KORR value is set correctly (according to the magnetic variation at that location the aircraft currently is flying), it shows TRUE.
If the KURS KORR is not set, it shows MAGNETIC. KURS KORR will be set once the aircraft is spawned.

Update 2022-11-27:
Page 031 now looks like this:

null

image.png

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

KURS KORR will be set once the aircraft is spawned.

KURS CORR, for whatever reason, is set to a random value within about 1.5 deg of the correct value upon spawn. 

3 hours ago, Machalot said:

KURS CORR, for whatever reason, is set to a random value within about 1.5 deg of the correct value upon spawn. 

@Machalot: are you tracking this "bug" already?

my computer:

3 hours ago, TOViper said:

@Machalot: are you tracking this "bug" already?

Let's bring it up on the Discord. I haven't heard why it's like this, uniquely among features as far as I know. 

17 hours ago, Machalot said:

Let's bring it up on the Discord. I haven't heard why it's like this, uniquely among features as far as I know. 

Can you do this? I use to not use Discord.
I hate it to spread information over multiple platforms. Why do we have the forum ... *headshake*

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

my computer:

33 minutes ago, TOViper said:

Can you do this? I use to not use Discord.
I hate it to spread information over multiple platforms. Why do we have the forum ... *headshake*

Sorry, I'm referring to the HB dev+tester Discord.  There was actually no sense in my mentioning it here, sorry for the confusion. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Machalot said:

Sorry, I'm referring to the HB dev+tester Discord.  There was actually no sense in my mentioning it here, sorry for the confusion. 

Copy, thank you! :notworthy:

• Like 1

my computer:

On 11/16/2022 at 1:53 PM, Scandfox said:

Page 148

"The commanded heading bug on the course ring indicates the heading, and the distance
indicator indicates the distance towards LB. Steering commands are displayed both on the HUD
and the ADI."

I have found that the heading bug on the course ring indicates heading to Destination not to LB and this has been reported as a BUG so perhaps time to add a note about this.

Hello @Scandfox!
Can you please give me a link to the related post? I woul like to read further details there ... Thank you!

my computer:

4 hours ago, Scandfox said:

I had a talk with my College Hilmerby from Swedish Airforce and he has reported this BUG 5 Yrs ago but I cant find it

@Scanfox: are you - maybe - referring to this thread her: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/168281-landning-po-bug/#comment-168294
TBH, I don't think so since the user is talking about the final approach, not the approach.

my computer: