DCS AJS-37 Viggen manual RC2.1

TOViper

Hey Machalot!

OK, thanks for the clarification (also to @MYSE1234).
I changed the text accordingly, and removed the

[no function]

tag.

Page 115 now shows:

image.png

Kind regards,
TOViper

Edited by TOViper
  • Thanks 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

On 2/21/2023 at 9:24 PM, Leadnap said:

The error can be found on Page 241 "NAV (At the earliest 2 minutes before throttle up, to avoid problems with the navigation system)" however the navigation system initializes in BER, the "2 minutes" is to prevent overheating because the bay is air cooled (hence needing to be throttle up within 2 minutes). 

I don't know if the "current" manual is a revision of an earlier one - I cannot find the 5 minute portion anymore but I know it was in the manual I downloaded a long time ago because it was what I referenced in an earlier tutorial and an older version of the Chucks Guide also had "5 mins" instead of 2. 

Hey Leadnap!

According to your information, I would change page 242 in the following way (just to make the problem more clear to the reader):

image.png

Edited by TOViper

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 3 weeks later...

Update 2023-03-11 (due to changes in OB 2.8.3.37556):

.) Tertiary air hatch: Removed document tag "not implemented", document now reads:
null

image.png

• Like 3

my computer:

• 1 month later...

Guys, guys, guys ... tstststs. Nobody ever (including me) noticed the error in the section about the tertiary air hatch.
For the third condition for the hatch to close, the SFI clearly states that the throttle must be "forward of zone 2", not behind.

I corrected this right now, and it now reads the following:

null

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my computer:

1 hour ago, TOViper said:

Guys, guys, guys ... tstststs. Nobody ever (including me) noticed the error in the section about the tertiary air hatch.
For the third condition for the hatch to close, the SFI clearly states that the throttle must be "forward of zone 2", not behind.

I corrected this right now, and it now reads the following:

null

image.png

At least I tried to point you there not really knowing if the manual was wrong or the implementation 😄

• Thanks 1

In fact you did make me review everything once more, so thank you for posting!
Back then, I chose to wait for the update yesterday, and see what the system does and what not.
I read the SFI also (in fact THIS was very important to do), because with reading that I finally came to the conclusion that the RC2 and RC2.1 manuals were wrong.
Sometimes its unbelievably hard to get rid of errors ... but together we :gun_sniper:this ERROR.

Edited by TOViper
  • Thanks 3

my computer:

• 3 weeks later...

Update 2023-05-06:
.) page 101 (FPV hidden/visible)
.) page 126 (old ECM U22 pod / pre-heat & indication)

edit: I currently have problems to upload the file, I will try later this afternoon.

edit2: Got my troubles sorted out, file is online now. Hafe vun!

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

my computer:

Update 2023-05-08:
.) page 343 (BK-90 input codes 91xxxx VALB/STD for approach height: [currently no function in DCS])

• Like 1

my computer:

Update 2023-05-10:
.) page 46 and 48: added indicator and warning panels
.) page 342: slight changes to text

• Like 1

my computer:

On 2/22/2023 at 10:30 PM, TOViper said:

Hey Leadnap!

According to your information, I would change page 242 in the following way (just to make the problem more clear to the reader):

image.png

While we are at it, I'm still not sure I understand it. What does this limitation mean exactly? I get the overheating risk, but the "throttle up"-condition is not clear to me.

That there should be no more than 2 minutes between switching to NAV and applying Take-Off power?

Or applying power for taxying?

Regardless of that, thank you for your effort in improving the manual!

Edited by Snappy

Taxi from ramp to holding point in master mode BER.
Once on the holding point, or even better once aligned on the runway: switch to NAV and check runway heading with NAV system (BANA GRÄNS).
You then have two minutes to throttle up and become airborne, otherwise the bay becomes too hot.
I don't know if its modeled in DCS, but that seems how the real Viggen behaved obviously.

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my computer:

20 minutes ago, TOViper said:

Taxi from ramp to holding point in master mode BER.
Once on the holding point, or even better once aligned on the runway: switch to NAV and check runway heading with NAV system (BANA GRÄNS).
You then have two minutes to throttle up and become airborne, otherwise the bay becomes too hot.
I don't know if its modeled in DCS, but that seems how the real Viggen behaved obviously.

OK, thanks a lot for clarifying it TOViper! I think the cold start-up training mission did include switching the mode selector to NAV after the other items are done, while you are still on the parking position. Hence my question. I'd have to check again though. 

Edit: Just checked, Yes , the cold-start training adds this step on the parking position after engine start, which is slightly confusing. Maybe they assumed a very short taxi route:)

Edited by Snappy

Update 2023-05-17:

.) page 21: Item 6, separated Central indicator and Radar display from each other
.) page 63: shifted blank page to position 61, now page 62 and 63 are besides each other when printed double-sided
.) page 126: reworked U22 ECM pod
.) page 226: reworked RB75
.) page 342: added note about BK90 <500m doctrine

Have to leave the desk now until late evening.
Hafe vun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

my computer:

• 5 weeks later...

Guys, I am preparing another update for the RC2.1.
Are there any issues / glitches you may have found in the version from 2023-05-17?
If so, please post them here, I am going to release a new version very soon... thanks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

my computer:

Guys, can you check the notes section on page 317 please, I added the 30 seconds steering command timeframe and the radar behaviour.
Thanks!
null

image.png

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

Hey guys!

This time, a bit bigger update on the RC2.1b, according to DCS version Openbeta 2.8.7.42583.

Hafe vun!

Update 2023-08-08:

- Added colored text layouts for all warnings (red), cautions (yellow) and advisories (green) (let's see if you like it ...)
- Added black/white layouts for designators of - hopefully - all cockpit instruments according to the stickers in the pit (note: this was not done for the checklist section in chapter "5. Procedures" in order to keep these as clear as possible) (let's see if you like it ...)
- Didactic references reworked (let's see if you like it ...)
- Didactic references are now clickable (click the bold text) (let's see if you like it ...)
- Changed text color to grey for all "[no function]" items which are not currently implemented in the module (let's see if you like it ...)
- page 24: harmonized terms for certain cockpit elements and labelled some elements with "[no function]"
- page 27: corrected numbering (erroneously started the list new with 1, now continues the list with 34)
- page 37: reworked distance indicator section a bit
- page 59: added picture of the Engine Starter switch
- page 69: LT-KRAN EBK switch is now labelled with "[no function]" since it has no function
- page 76: added picture of the Emergency Trim panel
- page 97: added note for the B-scope (a waypoint in the vicinity of the area of interest is necessary)
- page 111: added picture for radar antenna elevation in air-to-air mode
- page 114/115: harmonized terms for certain radar controls
- page 120: added picture for RWR modes control panel
- page 125: changed header "Indications" to "Countermeasures indications"
- page 235: reworked "Developers note"
- page 236: reworked Engine Start Checklist slightly
- page 236: reworked "Developers note"
- page 239: changed recommended take-off pitch trim setting to 5°
- page 242: added note "0." recommended take-off pitch trim setting
- page 251: changed header "Data input" to "Data input / output"
- page 297: added picture for Hydraulic pressure fault indicators
- page 282: added picture for IR-RB FRAMSTEGN button on left side wall
- page 317: added some notes for RB05 in A2G mode
- page 354: added some notes for RB05 in A2A mode
- page 371: "Output TAKT in mode SPA" is now a header, like "Output TID in mode SPA"
- Changed number ranges for better readabilty, like 13,000 - 14,500 kg (many were missing)
- Applied at least a zillion small text corrections here and there (let's see if you take notice ...)

Edited by TOViper
  • Thanks 3

my computer:

Hi,
I'm currently reading the new manual (although I'm not interested in this module). I think your work is really great! Good reading flow, informative & the screenshots in the right place. I wish there was something like that for our HIND-F...

• Thanks 1

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed something you screenshotted in one of your other posts that I think is wrong in the manual.  On page 56 there's a table with a column called "Specific fuel consumption" with units of kg/s.  That is inconsistent.  It's either Fuel Consumption (i.e. not "Specific") or the units need to be (kg/s)/N or (kg/s)/kN. 

My suggestion is that you should remove "Specific" from the title, because at a fuel consumption rate of 8.253 kg/s it consumes 495 kg/min, that provides about 9 minutes at full afterburner on internal fuel, which seems realistic.

(If you do the math treating it as "specific" fuel consumption the numbers no longer make sense.  I haven't written them out here but I will if anyone cares to see it.)

Also I think you should put the word "Units" in the blank box of the left column.  And put "N/A" or "-" in the blank box of the rightmost column.

image.png

Edited by Machalot

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."