RTX 3090 low performance

goliat26

Hello.

Few days ago i bougth RTX 3090 (change from RTX 3070) especially for DCS. Rest of my CPU is i7 8700k, 16 GB RAM and M2 NVME SSD for system and another NVME SSD for games. I use HP Reverb G2 for VR.

Before i get RTX 3090 i used Oculus Rift S with RTX 3070. It was very smooth on High preset in VR. Then i change GPU for RTX 3090 and googles for Reverb G2 and High preset is unplayable. Max 40 fps and its too low for me because i fell sick when i see stuttering... I was hoping for at least 50fps and now i am dissapointed. I tried steam VR and OpenComposite with OpenXR tool. No difference in fps.

Here are my settings in DCS
gameSettings.PNG
gameSettings2.PNG

And here is screen from Windows process manager
dane_rtx3090.PNG

And FPS counter in game
rtx3090-fps.png

As you can on process manager screen, GPU works on 100% and CPU on about 40% with sometimes pick to 90%.

Can you give me any advices to boost fps? Or meaby RTX 3090 users can tell me if it is normal FPS for this card?

Edited by goliat26
goggles

Do you still have the Rift S to test how the 3090 compares with the 3070 with the same resolution settings. By default the G2 will be set to significantly higher than its native 2160x2160 resolution. What resolution was the Rift S running at?

by comparing Rift S & 3070 with G2 & 3090 you have introduced a number of variables, WMR, SteamVR or OpenXR, different resolutions  etc. all which can require tuning.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

17 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Do you still have the Rift S to test how the 3090 compares with the 3070 with the same resolution settings. By default the G2 will be set to significantly higher than its native 2160x2160 resolution. What resolution was the Rift S running at?

by comparing Rift S & 3070 with G2 & 3090 you have introduced a number of variables, WMR, SteamVR or OpenXR, different resolutions  etc. all which can require tuning.

Yes i have Rift S but i uninstall Oculus Drivers but i can install them again. Rift S has way lover native resolution 1280x1440 vs 2160x2160 in G2.
With Rift S i had Pixel Density on 1.5 value, now i have on 1.

6 minutes ago, HiJack said:

Driver cleaning?

I use Geforce Expirience to install drivers. Do you think that totally drivers cleaning and install again will help?

Edited by goliat26

In comparison to the rift s you're pushing approximately 540% the number of pixels at 100%. You will not sustain the same settings.

You're also going to be bottlenecked by the CPU quite severely. Also ram is too low really, running mem cleaner when flying will help.

Running a 3080ti I can get 60-85fps but I have a 5800x3D to push it along fast enough.

Drop the resolution to around 2800 wide, reduce visibility, water and clouds to medium. Turn off the reflections and ambient occlusion and traffic to low or off.

Have a look though my openxr tuning guide for some baseline ideas for setting it up and you should be good. You need to be looking at a motherboard, CPU and ram upgrade fairly soon though.

edit: you also need to have your system in absolute tip top condition to make the most of your hardware. Follow Thud's VR4DCS guides to the letter and don't skip a thing.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

The CPU can't process the data from DCS fast enough, 50% just shows that half of the cores are loaded. Imagine trying to force a river through a hosepipe, that's what DCS is trying to do.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

3160x3160 is the render resolution to run the G2 at 100%

3 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Have a look though my openxr tuning guide for some baseline ideas for setting it up and you should be good. You need to be looking at a motherboard, CPU and ram upgrade fairly soon though.

Running a 3080ti I can get 60-85fps but I have a 5800x3D to push it along fast enough.

I have this in near future plan. i7 12700kf in plans with 32 GB DDR4. Can you show me your settings?

1 minute ago, HiJack said:

Well if you ask for help you get replys. Thats the deal. Try DDU is the first thing I would run. But you decide what to do of course. 🤗

I will try it.

About 40% I think, the display panels are 2160 but you need to render higher and mush the pixels together to account for lense distortion.

The bottle neck calculator is saying your 8700 is to weak for the 3090.

https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-calculator/

• Thanks 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Turn off sslr and ssso, shadows to medium, clouds to medium terrain shadows to flat

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

8 minutes ago, goliat26 said:

I have this in near future plan. i7 12700kf in plans with 32 GB DDR4. Can you show me your settings?

I will try it.

It's worth a try but the info on bottleneck seems legit. Anyway I would try the DDU before caving in and buying a new mainboard and CPU. Tha 3090 should of course be much more powerfull than the 3080. I'm interested because I'm looking to upgrade my setup as well. Good luck finding the right solution. 🙂

Agree HiJack ! 

I also have my Secondary Shadows disabled for the time being. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

My settings at this moment.
SETTINGS2.png
I tried this few minues ago. 45-60 FPS depends on trees etc...
When i look ahead its not bad. But when i fly on low altitude and look at houses and trees on left or right then i see powerpoint presentation :(.
Houses move every 10 meters every frame.

I use motion reprojection on always in OpenXR (or previously on auto using SteamVR). For me it makes 45fps or even 30fps much smoother.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

The only way to stop that is to turn on reprojection (which is currently suboptimal image quality in openxr) to smooth it out or beat refresh rate.

What you're currently doing is relying on the runtime vsync to try to smooth things out, basically you're only displaying frames at half the refresh rate (45fps). Rotational head movements will feel smooth but fast moving things close by will be jumping.

Beating refresh rate syncs everything together and the image is completely clear and all motion is smooth. At 90hz you're not going to do it but you have a chance at 60hz (if you can handle the refresh rate flicker), however you need to be consistently above 60fps otherwise it gets really uncomfortable relying on 30hz vsync.