RTX 3090 low performance

goliat26

20 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

I use motion reprojection on always in OpenXR (or previously on auto using SteamVR). For me it makes 45fps or even 30fps much smoother.

16 minutes ago, edmuss said:

The only way to stop that is to turn on reprojection (which is currently suboptimal image quality in openxr) to smooth it out or beat refresh rate.

I set "Always on" Motion Reprojection in OpenXR Tools and its way way smoother but sometimes i have stuttering. Its look like 200 frames good and next frame is 200ms later... Then next 200 frames ok and again next frame with some delay. Meaby it is because i havent at least 45FPS always?

Make sure to leave it unlocked in openxr toolkit, then if you drop below the threshold for 45Hz it will drop down to 30Hz which is equally smooth.

It could well be a CPU spike causing the stutter. Turn off civilian traffic and drop visibility a bit to help the CPU along. Keep an eye on the appCPU frametimes when it stutters, I would imagine it's just DCS overloading the week CPU and ram.

edit: use this when running DCS, it recovers ram very well and can prevent your machine grinding to a halt when ram is low.

https://www.koshyjohn.com/software/memclean/

Edited by edmuss
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

45 minutes ago, goliat26 said:

I set "Always on" Motion Reprojection in OpenXR Tools and its way way smoother but sometimes i have stuttering. Its look like 200 frames good and next frame is 200ms later... Then next 200 frames ok and again next frame with some delay. Meaby it is because i havent at least 45FPS always?

I am recently having a lot of problems with Openxr motion reprojection, experiencing something like you describe. Basically i have a butter smooth 45 fps experience and everynow and then is like the motion reprojection start to fail, and i get like 39-41-45-39-41-45 in the frame counter during what can be some minutes, and MR never goes to 30 fps. What you get is like 200 ms of everything fluid and after that a lost frame; which affects not only to the scenery but also to the whole cockpit which is a sh*t and disturbing. 

Strange enough, unistalling openxr toolkit, launching from steamvr with runtime set to steamvr instead of openxr, is letting me reduce this stutters a lot. I have long periods of stutter free gameplay now (stable 45 fps) even in multiplayer. I have also unsitalled things like nvidia geforce experience, which for some reason was taking to much CPU on my rig.

Specs: Ryzen 5600x, rtx 3090, DDR4 2333 32gb.

2 hours ago, goliat26 said:

How it can be bottleneck if CPU is used only in 50%?

Your CPU has 6 cores, DCS uses 2 threads. DCS alone would be responsible for 16 or 32% tops (hyperthreading on and off, respectively).

Or, in other words, DCS cannot fully utilise a modern CPU, przykro mi.

VR, i9, Winwing, TM and VKB.

2, 4, ban, ban, 2

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

Make sure to leave it unlocked in openxr toolkit, then if you drop below the threshold for 45Hz it will drop down to 30Hz which is equally smooth.

But how to unlock it? You mean leave it on "Always on" option? Framerate sometimes dropped to 30 fps but sometimes it was 35, 36, 41 etc.

23 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

then is like the motion reprojection start to fail, and i get like 39-41-45-39-41-45 in the frame counter

I have the same.

When you're just on the threshold of switching between 45 and 30hz reprojection brackets the FPS shown will be averaged over a couple of seconds.

It's quite possible that you're only just over the threshold for a second and then bounce back under it. Try increasing some settings as a test to see if it will force down to the 30hz bracket

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I have a similar setup, 8700k @ 5Ghz all cores all the time, 32GB ram, and M.2 NVME drives, also an EVGA 3090 Kingpin.  I found a great config with good frame rates 50-60+

Here are my settings you might consider trying...

I also followed a lot of the other BIOS/OS/etc items in this thread:  My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.11) - Page 40 - Virtual Reality - ED Forums (dcs.world)

image.png

null

image.png

image.png

null

image.png

Edited by crazyave

When you're just on the threshold of switching between 45 and 30hz reprojection brackets the FPS shown will be averaged over a couple of seconds.
It's quite possible that you're only just over the threshold for a second and then bounce back under it. Try increasing some settings as a test to see if it will force down to the 30hz bracket
It's not this edmuss. It's definetely something holding MR. The frame throttling is like regular, each X ms and always the same numbers. Besides In the scenario I'm testing I get stable >80fps with MR off. not even close to 60fps when I turning and flying real low.

I've been searching the internet and I've found some other people with the same problems (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/vr-reverb-g2-wmr-performance-motion-reprojection-cpu-issues-overclocking/497696/25 ). The result of what we are experiencing looks like this (see image attached).

As that post says, sometimes just going into the task manager and changing DCS priority from medium to high or otherwise makes MR kick in and I get a perfect experience for several minutes in the same scenario is giving me headache with this lost frames.16b5914208994ec66d6920a083276bad.jpg

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had close to 100% VR performance at 100% G2 res, highest settings, 2xAA with 2.7 after the "kill the HolographicShell" process, like smooth low flight above big cities and forest. But I experienced some crashes and decided to reinstall WMR software. Since then no crashes but performance is just awfull. No clue which settings is responsible. 

On 11/18/2022 at 6:03 AM, PLUTON said:

Thank you for your reply
so if 3160X3160 corresponds to 100%
2160X2160 corresponds to?🤔

This was something that I wasn’t aware of for some time but it is because the Reverb uses Fresnel lenses and therefore to ensure that the barrel distortion is adequately compensated, the 2160 x 2160 screens in each eye are upsampled to something in the vicinity of 3160 x 3160 (or less if your system cannot achieve this. It’s up to you.) but if you want to know more google “VR Fresnel lenses barrel distortion”. Aspherical lenses do not need this but they have their downsides. 

• Like 1

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

2 hours ago, goliat26 said:

Guys which processor to choose? i7 12700kf or i5 13600kf? i5 is cheeper and more performance on benchmarks but way highter temperatures.

Depends on your cooling solution… I use the i7 12700k, but if I hadn’t got it I would go for the fastest single thread performance I could get which would likely be the i5 or i7 13k, bear in mind you are for dcs at present unlikely to thermally stress your processor, as you will only really activate 2 or 3 cores…

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Guys i have one more question. You say that my CPU is bottleneck. CPU is not responsibile for rendering so VR or not VR gaming is not difference for CPU?
If its true, how can i get 60+ FPS on totally full settings without VR?
FPS_FULLSCREAN.png
Settings:
sett.png
One more think. When i tried this settings i make screenshot of process manager with logic processors view.
manager.png
As you can each core/thread is loaded similar.

Edited by goliat26

15 minutes ago, goliat26 said:

Guys i have one more question. You say that my CPU is bottleneck. CPU is not responsibile for rendering so VR or not VR gaming is not difference for CPU?

your understanding is wrong... or rather not correct, the CPU is definitely part of the render pipeline... thats how computers work,,, 

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

your understanding is wrong... or rather not correct, the CPU is definitely part of the render pipeline... thats how computers work,,, 

I know it but CPU synchronizes/manages rendering by GPU (CPU dont render itself). If GPU is 100% loaded, what difference for CPU if its VR or not?
Or what additionll working in VR CPU has compared to non VR gaming?

9 minutes ago, goliat26 said:

I know it but CPU synchronizes/manages rendering by GPU (CPU dont render itself). If GPU is 100% loaded, what difference for CPU if its VR or not?
Or what additionll working in VR CPU has compared to non VR gaming?

My understanding is the CPU plays a major role in the rendering process and the requirement to render in stereo effectively doubles the CPU work to render in VR

• Like 2

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I don't think "Terrain textures" affects VR, and can be set to Low, and there will be no difference in VR. Only in screen mirror image.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Upgrading the CPU isn't going to matter much, maybe a few percent.  I hate to see you go down the path many of us have chasing performance with buying upgrades and wasting thousands of dollars.  The 3090 you have is the best thing you could have done.  The 24GB VRAM helps make up for the poorly written app which can easily max out the 8-12GB cards.  Now just tune and try to find a happy place with what you can get out of it.  Save yourself the disappointment of spending $1-2K+ for 2-3% more performance.  I'd go as far as saying if you're going to dump that much upgrading the CPU you'd be better off going for the 4090 and selling the 3090....if you could actually get a 4090 $#@!:#

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, crazyave said:

Upgrading the CPU isn't going to matter much, maybe a few percent.  I hate to see you go down the path many of us have chasing performance with buying upgrades and wasting thousands of dollars.  The 3090 you have is the best thing you could have done.  The 24GB VRAM helps make up for the poorly written app which can easily max out the 8-12GB cards.  Now just tune and try to find a happy place with what you can get out of it.  Save yourself the disappointment of spending $1-2K+ for 2-3% more performance.  I'd go as far as saying if you're going to dump that much upgrading the CPU you'd be better off going for the 4090 and selling the 3090....if you could actually get a 4090 $#@!:#

Your opinion is completely different from others. Now i dont know what to do :D.

20 hours ago, Moxica said:

I don't think "Terrain textures" affects VR, and can be set to Low, and there will be no difference in VR. Only in screen mirror image.

It does work with vr like about all the settings in game except screen resolution which is for the mirror. The difference is most notable in Syria.

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

Our systems are nearly identical (sans RAM difference), we could compare the same mission/track with the same settings and see if you get a similar result.  I'm really happy with my settings and think most people would be happy with them.  Let's see if your system performs as well as it should.  That said, the RAM could very well be the difference, I recall that making a noticeable difference for me when I upgrade from 16-32GB.

On 11/18/2022 at 4:52 AM, goliat26 said:

How it can be bottleneck if CPU is used only in 50%?

Have a look at the individual core usage, and you will find that one two cores are pegged at 100%. I run a i7-10700k with 32Gb RAM, 3090 and G9, and I consistently get 50fps with higher settings than what you have there. I daresay the CPU is the issue. If you bring up the openxr advanced FPS overlay, it will tell you if the CPU is the bottleneck.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

On 11/17/2022 at 12:26 PM, goliat26 said:

Few days ago i bougth RTX 3090 (change from RTX 3070) especially for DCS.

I have a 3090 also, and HP Reverb G2, and get solid 45fps with motion reprojection or 60-75ish without.

Rest of my CPU is i7 8700k

This CPU is choking you down

16 GB RAM

As is this. You need at least 32GB, 64 if possible. You've got a really high end modern GPU with a good but dated processor and verrrry little RAMband it is choking badly. That's your problem in a nutshell. 

and M2 NVME SSD for system and another NVME SSD for games.

Neither relevant for FPS.

I'd recommend increasing to 32GB or 64GB of RAM, a more modern processor, preferably a 5800x3d (if budget is no issue) or similar gaming CPU of recent timeframe.

For settings I recommend leaving MSAA off, shadows to low and flat, clouds to standard. I run resolution if I remember in the 3000x3000 range give or take and use OpenXR.

I do not play on the half baked, poorly designed multiplayer servers that are so popular around here, which will choke you down considerably.

Edited by Mars Exulte

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2