is DCS a Ship Simulator and weapons systems Simulator only ?

GOZR

38 minutes ago, GOZR said:

You missed the point.. I really don't explain well..  But lets see a good talk about this would be fine..  I am not taking your piece of cake away.. we all love it but having some effects simulate some winds.. buffets and turbulence more would e a big change on the visual feel of DCS..   yesterday I landed virtually an Hellcat on a carrier and it's far far better effects than landing a P47 on a carrier in DCS..   So all we want is teh best .. we all want it

A DCS Carrier with not have implemented the bubble efect yet...

28 minutes ago, GOZR said:

Well this feel better on and I think we should all do click on this one.. 

Using VR, head movement by G forces is something I always make sure is turned off in race & flight sims. 

The disconnect between my head and the virtual head just feels horrible.

It is why these things are options. As has been stated several times in this thread the way we feel sims can be very personal regardless of real world experience and hence some some sims work better than others for different people. It is much the same with steering wheel FFB settings and the zillions of "perfect" settings that are completely different.

• Like 2

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, Baldrick33 said:

Using VR, head movement by G forces is something I always make sure is turned off in race & flight sims. 

The disconnect between my head and the virtual head just feels horrible.

It is why these things are options. As has been stated several times in this thread the way we feel sims can be very personal regardless of real world experience and hence some some sims work better than others for different people. It is much the same with steering wheel FFB settings and the zillions of "perfect" settings that are completely different.

Yes the effect are too much as i was saying divided just like 50% would do better... I wonder if there is a way to tweak this ..   it seems it connect better with some external effects better but too much for the head.

7 hours ago, GOZR said:

Yes the effect are too much as i was saying divided just like 50% would do better... I wonder if there is a way to tweak this ..   it seems it connect better with some external effects better but too much for the head.

For me any simulated head movement in VR is a no, it just feels like bad tracking, I need a 1:1 relationship with my head movement.

That said I can happily use vr neck saver, as it the variation is outside of my normal view.

Simulated “head wobble” is another matter. Do we see the world moving or the cockpit moving when dealing with bumps? Our eyes are pretty good at remaining fixed on a point even if we are being shaken around. Personally I prefer the cockpit movement or shake rather than the scenery being moved around a fixed cockpit, the latter is like a fixed camera. Most race sims provide a slider to have any value in between world and cockpit movement (although typically default to cockpit movement). I am not sure if a world movement type solution would help in flight sims, the cockpit shaking seems to work fine for me but that is how I choose to run race sims so that may just be my preference.

This is a pretty old post but suggests there are some tweaking of g force options for head movement:

Edited by Baldrick33
  • Like 2

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

For me any simulated head movement in VR is a no, it just feels like bad tracking, I need a 1:1 relationship with my head movement.

That said I can happily use vr neck saver, as it the variation is outside of my normal view.

Simulated “head wobble” is another matter. Do we see the world moving or the cockpit moving when dealing with bumps? Our eyes are pretty good at remaining fixed on a point even if we are being shaken around. Personally I prefer the cockpit movement or shake rather than the scenery being moved around a fixed cockpit, the latter is like a fixed camera. Most race sims provide a slider to have any value in between world and cockpit movement (although typically default to cockpit movement). I am not sure if a world movement type solution would help in flight sims, the cockpit shaking seems to work fine for me but that is how I choose to run race sims so that may just be my preference.

This is a pretty old post but suggests there are some tweaking of g force options for head movement:

Thanks going to look.. Yes i used to touch this years ago with Track Ir  but never tested with VR ( forgot about this )

Edited by GOZR

Tested and maybe too much since I cant tell if it is working really ? doubt. but here at minimum numbers the Y axis is the one to really reduce or zero out..  if you can test it that way..  Having a minimum add some forces and weather effects.. 

110. head_roll_shaking = true

111. head_roll_shaking_max = 0.1

112. head_roll_shaking_compensation_gain = 0.0

Tested again and yes it's working I do not have the gummy screeched neck ..

Edited by GOZR

10 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

Btw yes see it is an old problem that was never fixed really .. I posted this in 2013 on that post..and that is the problem.. an example this is 10 years ago!!  If we do not push for change ED will still make rainbows and not fix the real effects feel problems.. 

Agree this is a problem in ALL sims but in RL the head is a great shocks dampener . Ready to turn you contract your self to endure G's and your head will NOT move as much as in DCS or even worse like in Cliffs of Dover. So it should be less and more dampened.

10 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

Edited by GOZR

33 minutes ago, GOZR said:

Btw yes see it is an old problem that was never fixed really .. I posted this in 2013 on that post..and that is the problem.. an example this is 10 years ago!!  If we do not push for change ED will still make rainbows and not fix the real effects feel problems.. 

These options have been buried in text files in racing sim titles for a similar time. There are mods for several of them to provide a GUI to edit them.

I get the impression that for the vast majority the defaults work just fine. Head physics can become a bit of a rabbit hole of permutations and there is always the risk in VR that changes will cause severe nausea. Maybe that is why some developers have been happy to keep it out of the GUI and left for users to experiment with text files at their own risk. I imagine some users will want even greater g force effects so the slider would need to go up to a "what were they thinking allowing this" value! 🙂

5 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

These options have been buried in text files in racing sim titles for a similar time. There are mods for several of them to provide a GUI to edit them.

I get the impression that for the vast majority the defaults work just fine. Head physics can become a bit of a rabbit hole of permutations and there is always the risk in VR that changes will cause severe nausea. Maybe that is why some developers have been happy to keep it out of the GUI and left for users to experiment with text files at their own risk. I imagine some users will want even greater g force effects so the slider would need to go up to a "what were they thinking allowing this" value! 🙂

Very good point yes.. 

• 2 weeks later...
Test this if you want.. feels nice in VR or TIR.. More realistic feel..

1- Turn ON "Head movements by Gforce" in "Misc" Tab
2- Go to ..DCS World OpenBeta\Config\View
3- Look for "View.lua" file
--
4- Edite this :
head_roll_shaking = true
head_roll_shaking_max = 30.0
head_roll_shaking_compensation_gain = 0.3
--
To those values..
head_roll_shaking = true
head_roll_shaking_max = 0.005
head_roll_shaking_compensation_gain = 0
--
5- Go to the properties of the file and make it "read Only"
Much better feeling.! 

Edited by GOZR
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GOZR said:
Test this if you want.. feels nice in VR or TIR.. More realistic feel..

Tried it - not for me!

I can't stand simulated movement of my head in VR in flight sims. "Head wobble" as it is termed in iRacing works ok but that is more about how our eyes work as shock absorbers for bumps in a race car.

The cockpit shaking is fine but seeing the plane move around me as I manoeuvre just looks weird for me - even with the reduced settings. 

I guess it is just a preference thing.

Not much trainned

A real trainned pilot has much less movement which is similar to the setting i made.. 

But by doind so we feel more turbulence or plane action not head.. try for a flight not 3 minutes 🙂 if possible

Roll head is inacceptable ..